Networking help

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Networking help

Ok I just bought a linksys wireless b broadband router and notebook card off of ebay. Now here in part lies the problem I'm not sure how to set up the network so I can run wireless internet on my laptop in my room. I thought it would be just a plug and play deal but it's not. Can somebody link me or write out instructions on how to do this. Thanks in advance.

posted by  Spanky2324

you've probably gotta register the mac address of your wireless card with the router.... depending on security levels.
has the router got dhcp? the specs should tell you... if so (in fact, if not either), check your IP address settings.

posted by  windsonian

I got it now bbut thank you for your help.

posted by  Spanky2324

Alright how would I set up a wireless network to access files from that pc to my laptop in my room. You know kinda like the ones in schools the whole network places thing where you can grab files from the main hub

posted by  Spanky2324

hey bro u might find these site helpful http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lan.html
http://wifi.aximsite.com/wifi_net.html

posted by  an_talpur

Looks fun. Thnks I will check into this later but now it's time to head forwork.

posted by  Spanky2324

Ok if I understand you, you want to be able to access files off another computer from your laptop.

Ok this is what i do with my server setup. Make sure you read everything before you start, as there are several ways to do this. Assuming that your using windows XP, there are several things that you can do. First off, you need to create a folder on the host computer, generally under the root directory, or Shared folder. Right click on the folder you created and left-click on "Sharing and Security..." Look under the "Network sharing and security form and check the box that says Share this folder on the network. If you want people to have read only access to the files, (ie. They can't change anything) make sure the box that says "Allow network users to change my files" is unchecked. Otherwise if you don't mind files in your folder being edited, leave it checked.

remember the share name, usually the name of the folder, and click Apply and OK.

Now, on the computer(s) you want to access the files on there are several ways to set this up.
Method One
Firstly, create a shortcut on your Desktop(Right click on desktop>New>Shortcut), or wherever you want to access the files. There will be a Create Shortcut Wizard that pops up. Click "Browse..." Click on the "+" on the tree that says "My Network Places" see if you can find the folder under this branch. If you do, click on that, and then OK. if you don't goto: * Follow the instructions from there and you should have a folder that can access the files from the other computer.

Method two
Right-Click on My computer, and click "Map Network Drive..." Choose a drive letter and browse for the folder on the "server", or host, the same way as above. If you know the network name of the host computer, simply type w/0 the quotes in the Folder field: "\\hostname\foldername", or if you dont, follow the method as above. Click Ok. What this did was create a new "drive" that accesses the host based on the letter you chose on your computer.

Method three
This only works if you know the Hosts network name. Open Windows explorer or My computer. In the address bar type in "\\hostname\foldername" and this will access the folder you chose. However you have to do this every single time if you chose this method.

*If you don't know the computers network name or don't see the folder, follow this.
Every computer under your network needs to run the "Network Setup Wizard. Goto: Control Panel>Network Connections. Click on the Set up a home or small office network button under the "Network Tasks" tab on the left of the window. Follow the instructions, giving each computer a unique name under the same Workgroup name. For example you give the two computers names like HOST and CLIENT, under the workgroup name OFFICE. then turn on File and Print Sharing, and you should be good to go. Just restart all the computers your working with.

If something i said didn't make sense, just let me know and i'll try to rephrase it. :thumbs: I'm not the best with words...:ohcrap:

posted by  Bubba

Your Message