Community spirit

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Community spirit

Just a little rant. So I parked the car at work the other day and stupidly left the sidelights on (it was daylight, but I had them on due to driving through a wooded area), you can probably all guess what's coming next. When I finished work the battery was flat (felt stupid and turned the lights off...albeit a bit late, lol), so I grabbed a set of jump leads from the office and jump started it, simple as that. Anyway, I needed petrol and went over the road to the local fuel station, I was aware that the battery wouldn't have been fully charged so I let the car run for a while prior to going to get fuel. I turned the car off, refuelled and paid, when I returned the battery was flat again, not the end of the world as I could go and get the jump leads again if need be, I'd just rather save myself the embarresment, lol.

Anyway, I decided the best thing to do would be to push the car clear of the pumps and request the help of another motorist to give us a push, I approached one man who looked at me as if I was asking him for a fiver, then went on to say "No, I'm eating" I though "Ok, no great loss, he probably had a bad day", so I approached another member of public. "Excuse me, would ya mind givin' me a push as my battery's gone flat?" I said, "You want to bump start it?" he responded, "that's right, please" I said, he then basically said "NO" and walked off. I tried no less than four people for help, all of them refused it, I mean it's not as if I was going to mug them, I was in uniform, lol. This scenario really bugs me because if I see a stranded motorist, 9 times out of 10 I'll stop and offer them help if they need it. I remember not so long ago that anybody would help ya out of a situation such as this one. Maybe it's the part of the country I'm from, I should move up north where the grass is greener, lol.

Oh, I eventually bump started it myself......:banghead:

*end rant*

posted by  Cliffy

You Brits have weird dialogue, its so...etiquite (sp?) lol. What a bunch of bastards, come on down here in the south and we won't only jump it, we'll give ya beer and brats (bratwurst) too! :laughing:

posted by  99integra

lol silly Steve, you don't live in the south.

posted by  jedimario

Why do people sayyy that, Florida's at the bottom of the map :cry: lol

posted by  99integra

That's the way people are these days, people don't really tend to help anymore like they used to. Even around here. :( :ohcrap:

posted by  Jordan Pardy

Etiquette? :thumbs:

What's Bratwurst? lol

posted by  Cliffy

OMG...its a fine American delicacy made from meat, sometimes beer, and a whole lotta grease, just think of hot dogs cept meatier, more flavor, and'll kill you faster

http://www.uni-erfurt.de/fachschaft_gs/fotos/bratwurst.jpg

posted by  99integra

lol, I see, I'd never heard of them till now, look tasty though, especially on a BBQ...I love BBQ's, I've had a few in the past few weeks....taking advantage of our weather!

As for other drivers, I'll think twice before helping anyboy else out in the future!

posted by  Cliffy

Cliffy, if you think about it, it's the people who themselves are most likely to need help that are least likely to give it... Just like on this forum. I'm sorry to see that you were treated that way but it just seems to be a sign of the times in most places. Everyone is in their own little world with no regard for anyone else.

If it's any consolation, any time you need a jump or a push I'll be happy to help, just as long as we're in the same town. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

I'll bear that in mind, many thanks hobo :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

You should live up north, someone from our neghbourhood helped towed our car to our house when it was stranded overheating in the middle of a junction.

BTW where is the official border which seperates northerners from southerners? My sister told me it's the Watford gap:laughing:

posted by  fudge

The Mason-Dixon line I think it's called. It's either near the VA-MD border or on it.

And Florida doesn't count cause a bunch of old Yankees live down there =P

posted by  jedimario

I knew you were gonna say that! Lol dammit these old yanks come here to dieeee. :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

Dont get me wrong, there are the odd one or two helpfull southerners out there, I got towed a few years ago when the car broke down.....as I said though, it was a few years ago.....maybe alot's changed!

I always look at anywhere beyond the top end of the M25 as Northern, lol. Realistically though, once you venture into Birmingham, in my opinion, you're venturing into the unknown :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

i think anywhere up near newcastle-upon-tyne is northern!
people in deep west cornwall seem th think anywhere beyond the county of devon and cornwall is London!

posted by  True_Brit

ever notice that even though florida is in the south... there really isnt much of a southern accent? i guess the states that have that laid back, lazy (not calling you lazy) tone to their voice when they talk... thats a "true" southern state... but i guess once u lose that accent... then it really couldnt be considered southern... i just confused the sh!t outa myself :doh:

posted by  starscream0

I used to have an accent, now its sorta mild, but as my friends say "dude you sound like a surfer" because I just got that laid back feel to me :smoke: ...that and I surf haha

posted by  99integra

Newcastle's waaay up north I believe.....and they have a funny accent :laughing:

I've actually just thought, maybe everybody is taking my aproach to helping folk out now.....they don't receive it, so why should they offer it, lol :doh:

posted by  Cliffy

luckily, i am right at the border of the accent of way up north (new york, maine, new hampshire) those places. (i live in Pennsylvania) actualy, i cant stand that accent that they have. sorry to anyone on this forum that may have that accent from way up north but, i just dont like it cause of working near it, and having people with that accent bitch to me all day at work with it... ive come to dislike it quite a bit.

posted by  starscream0

Not everyone in the south has a "lazy tone" to their voice. We speak normal contrary to popular belief.

posted by  97Talonchik

Thats because only Northerners can pick it out :wink2:

posted by  99integra

If someone from Wisconsin were to ask you for directions, would you think he/she talked a little funny?
It's not just people from the south that speak funny. A lot of country folk around here (Southern Illinois) speak with a twang. Maybe it's because we're so close to Kin-tuh-key.

posted by  elchango36

Oohhhh yea lol, horrible accent.

posted by  99integra

Perhaps you've never paid attention to what someone from the Chicago area sounds like. Isn't it odd that nobody thinks people have accents where they're from? Shocking.

posted by  vwhobo

true, my girlfriend is from chicago and u can really tell the difference (especialy with the word "new" to them, when they say it, it sounds like "neuw" but when north eastern people say it it sounds like "noo" in a way) but i mean, i pick up different accents anywhere, i notcie them a bit up north more towards the mountains here in PA... they just sound like retards up there (no offense)

posted by  starscream0

that's just the south side...:wink2: :laughing: :laughing:

...and actually, my wife owns a market research company and one comment that she's heard more than a few times is that her clients prefer midwestern based research firms for phone surveys, etc., as the interviewers are easy to understand b/c they don't really have any discernable accent... i'm not saying they're necessarily right, we just hear that often...

posted by  dodger65

Which is why I specifically used WISCONSIN and not Chicago as an example. I've heard of similar studies before.

posted by  elchango36

yeah. it seems like w/ chicago and wisconsin, accents are kinda hit or miss... :screwy:

posted by  dodger65

I have the normal Brit accent (like you guys in the States use when impersonating us, lol), only less posh

posted by  Cliffy

Aren't Bratwursts German? Or do they just suffer from the french fry syndrome?

posted by  Mathew

what they are is tasty.... :wink2: :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

Lol. Well that answered my question.

posted by  Mathew

Your Message