Building a Computer?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Building a Computer?

I'm thinking about buying myself a new computer, as my current one is getting a little old. (Windows 98 old).

So in the past computers have sort of been hand-me-downs from my dad whenever his company and him split on a new one.

Right now I'd like a pretty high end machine, mainly to be used for gaming and multimedia. I don't really play a lot of games, but I'd like to have that ability. (Once in a while I buy a game worthy of obsessing over, like Half-Life 2, though it doesn't run on my computer). I also have hundreds of cd's that I would like to put on hardrive and conveniently catalogue.

Anyway, what I'm asking is this: Since I'm a cheap bastard, would it be more cost effective to build my own computer? Order parts from the internet? Go to Best Buy and get a package deal? What are good companies to look at?

If any of you are more experienced than myself with this, I would GREATLY appreciate a response.

PS. I probably have enough computer knowledge to assemble a computer.

Edit: I guess I should mention I want to spend up to $1000 CDN on the computer itself. I can handle the monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc bit.

posted by  Mathew

Definitely cost-efficient to buy/build yourself, plus then you can upgrade components as necessary, which is great for the future.

Best bet is probably NCIX - They have a few stores there in BC...Langley, Richmond, Burnaby, Vancouver....I just priced out a pretty damn nice system through them, and it would be about 750...

AMD Athlon AM2 64 3500+ 117.30
Gigabyte S2G Motherboard 103.50
ATI Radeon X800XL 161.00
OCZ Gold DDR2-5400 2x512MB 108.31
Seagate Barracuda SATA2 200GB 106.93
LG DVD+/-RW, DL, D-RAM, LightScribe 53.15
Random Case(about 100$ for a decent one)

The reason why I would go with the AM2 socket is because the processors consume less power, thereby creating less heat, which in turn gives you a longer processor life. The Gigabyte motherboard is the exact same one that I use, which has been rock steady for the last month and a half, no issues whatsoever. ATI has always been a better choice for video cards. The OCZ ram has always been good, I have built several machines now with it and never had a single stick go bad on me, even after four or five years. Seagate, same thing. The LG DVD-Burner is more up to you, but LG is definitely one of the better brands out there. As for the case, make sure you have a minimum 400 watt PSU with it. I would probably go with Antec, Thermaltake, or Vantec for a case/PSU combo.

www.ncix.com < check it. Way better then Tigerdirect.ca, who may have slightly better pricing on parts, but would kill you on shipping, being that it's from Ontario...you can pick this shit up local, and get help that way as well :D

posted by  dodgerforlife

I'd definetly get a built Desktop as opposed to one of those name-brand ones. It's a lot easier to upgrade parts on a built custom computer than those other ones.

posted by  elchango36

Well I work at Best Buy currently, on the computer sales floor. PM some more information and will help you out with when (sale price) and what to look at bro. PS I built my gaming system (cost ~$1100) retail it was worth over $3000. You can definately get more bang for your buck building one, but guess who your tech support is? (you)

posted by  Voda48

I only ever used tech support once, and that was when my old Dell CD-Rom drive wouldn't close, about 7 years ago. So I'm not too worried about that :wink2:. I am however grateful for all of your advice, and keep it coming!

Also, is it best to buy individual components from small stores, internet, or large retailers? I have already reached the conclusion that I will be building the computer.

And one more thing...

Can someone explain to me the new specs of processors? Last I checked it was like Pentium 4 3.2 GHz was good, then all of a sudden theres Pentium D and I'm totally lost.

posted by  Mathew

I'll write a little summary for you. I would advise waiting on buying a processer, AMD just anounced a reaction to Intel's New Core 2 Duo that was released about a little over a week ago. AMD pland to "cut processor prices in half" to remain competitve. You might be able to pickup a new AMD 64X2 for really cheap.

posted by  Voda48

Your Message