Audio son

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Audio son

Alright my mom's 03 Altima SL has 6 Bose speakers and a Bose amp stock, I want to get a sub(s) for it, should I go 2 10's or just a 12'?

posted by  99integra

subjective question... you know better than that....

posted by  windsonian

IMO if you get the right 10'' all you need is one of those to do some damage.

posted by  Spanky2324

Well Idk which would be betta, but a 10" would prolly do the best since it already has a shit load of thump now :doh:

posted by  99integra

two questions.

1) what kind of music is listened to

2) quality or volume

posted by  dodgerforlife

Rock and Rap, mostly bass shit.
Quality

posted by  99integra

budget? you gonna want to buy a sub and a dclass amp right?

posted by  Stem

Nahh already got an amp I don't wanna get another one. Budget is 200 or less

posted by  99integra

wut kind of amp, and how many watts is it?

posted by  Stem

I'm with him on this one....we'll need the amp specs to give you some recommendations

posted by  dodgerforlife

Idk how many amps are in this Bose amp, it doesn't say anywhere. Should I just write down the model number?

posted by  99integra

yes you should.

posted by  dodgerforlife

F*ck it I just talked with someone from Best Buy and they said I need to do a rewire for the Bose system and errything, so now I looked at a nice box and a 10' woofer for my truck and a kenwood amp. Now, what I need to know is what is the best 10' I can get, less than 200 :wink2:

posted by  99integra

its all about how it sounds to you. you listen to a lot of rap, and rock with bass, IMO rockford fosgates 10' HX2 power is a good sub. it hits hard, and in a nice sealed box should provide good quality. you can find em on ebay, power or punch which ever you would like.

i haven't seen the 03's audio setup, so im not sure if it would actually need a whole rewiring, that i doubt though.

posted by  pocko5000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-REG-CAB-TRUCK-BOX-SUB-ENCLOSURE-4-SUBWOOF ER-NEW_W0QQitemZ140015845449QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this a good box?

Boys I'm goin 12's, recomendations?

posted by  99integra

Well the point of a sub is you turn the bass all the way to negative, and the sub does all the work, so you get more sound than bass from your speakers. I would say a 12 should do it

posted by  newyorker

Yeah man I know that, but is that a good box even though it ain't vented? Or could I vent it myself?

posted by  99integra

i had a vented one in the neon..depends what size suba and box...id go for a vented one either way though

posted by  newyorker

why?

again, why?... does that mean a 10 "shouldn't" do it?

posted by  windsonian

should do it means should be OK...your english isnt on par

posted by  newyorker

He's asking you to back up your statements. Maybe it's your english that isn't up to par.

posted by  dodgerforlife

when i was putting in my sub they said a bigger sub in a ported box would sound better than 2 smaller subs ina non ported box...they let me hear both variations with the same sub diff sizes..the 12 was better in the ported box

posted by  newyorker

What do you mean by sound better....hit deeper and louder? That's a no brainer. Sealed boxes are used more for tight response, as well as quality. Vented boxes give you deeper response, along with more volume, but not as tight, so the sound quality suffers.

posted by  dodgerforlife

i would build your own box if you are going with sealed, it will be cheaper, and you can build it to your subs specs. as for porting it, i would not buy a sealed box and turn it to a ported one. with ported you have to tune it, and make sure everything is right, or your sub could bottom out and blow. its not bad if you know what your doing, but i dont recommend it for a first timer.

are you going with 2 12's or just one, and whats the price range?
do you already have an amp picked out?

posted by  pocko5000

I liked it better

posted by  newyorker

but a well designed sealed box/woofer match will sound far "better" than a poorly matched woofer/ported box.

posted by  windsonian

I'm not even going to go there...

posted by  dodgerforlife

you are arguing opinions, there is no cut and dry in car audio, true ported will hit louder, and sealed is quicker response, but it is all what sounds best to the owner. you have to test these things out to see what you like, you have to see how they sound in your car, with your acoustics, and with your speakers.

posted by  pocko5000

hence read my first response.....

posted by  windsonian

i had to go back and re read it, but yes a subjective question it is.:ticking:

i dont know if integra is still reading this, but you never answered,
would you like 2 12's or 1, and whats your price range?
do you have an amp yet, or picked out?

posted by  pocko5000

It's already been discussed...

posted by  dodgerforlife

i think that 12's are better for you because the frequency response on 10's are better for rock and heavy metal so go with the 12's

posted by  81-camaro

You have no clue what your talking about do you?...

posted by  dodgerforlife

what u mean about the frequency response thing ill i did was reapeat what a guy at best buy said to me

posted by  81-camaro

Ahhhh, big chain electronics employees....Don't listen to them.

10's are better for metal and rock - generally - because they have a much tighter and faster response, and it can deal with the drum beat's and bass guitar in metal and rock.

12's are more suited to hip-hop, and country - generally - because they don't hit as tight, and hip-hop and country bass beats are more often slower, and the sub has time to get back to it's zero before the bass hit's again.

Nothing really to do with frequency response. The difference between 10s and 12s could be a few hz...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Exactly... would the guy at best buy say that nothing bigger than a 12 is good for rock? Because my 15" RE plays lil jon, then i put in Breaking Benjamin, Trapt, or Nickelback and it sounds absolutely perfect. I dont even adjust the gains, maybe the HPF and the LPF but thats it. But yah, dodgers right, the electronics guys at best buy and such dont know anything, best off asking for an un-biased opinion from someone whos worked around all areas of car audio.

posted by  Stem

Your Message