Transmission Question

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Transmission Question

I know this is probably the wrong section for this, but I want people to actually look at this and see if they can help me at all..

Anyways, my friend has a 1996 Mazda Protege with the 1.5L engine and automatic transmission. He wants to change the transmission to a standard, but is unsure of what transmissions can/will bolt to the stock 1.5L engine.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a site or something on what transmissions will work with that engine (ex. MX6, MX3, 323, 626, etc).. any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you need to know any other information, just ask and I can try to find out more.

posted by  car_crazy89

the only transmissions that will fit are, 95 323 GS (2 door, canadian only) and 95-98 protege, both are 1.5 only. this is acurate as it came off my work interchange screen and very seldom is it wrong. :thumbs:

posted by  glagon1979

More importantly than what transaxle will fit, is the cost and amount of work required to do this conversion. Very honestly, unless you have an essentially complete donor vehicle, this will cost more than the car is worth... Or possibly more than just purchasing a new car. A partial list of required parts includes the manual transaxle, flywheel/clutch assembly, manual trans pedal assembly, manual trans shift linkage, manual trans PCM, trans and engine mounts, possibly CV axles (depending on what year trans you get), etc.

As you can see, unless you have not only good mechanical skills, the knowledge to work through the conversion and a pile of cash, you also have the headache of rounding up all the needed supplies and making sure they all work together. The best bet would be to unload the automatic equipped car and purchase a manual.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks guys for your help. I never said it was the logical decision, but it's what he has decided he wants to do. He plans to have his grandpa (who has his own home-based shop) do the work. He wanted to know what transmission would work with his engine so that he could look for a cheap or wrecked parts car (rather then sell his and buy a stanadard one).

Again, thanks guys, it's appreciated :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

Your Message