Katrina..

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Katrina..

Katrina One Year Later:
Never Forget...Never Forgive
One year ago. August 29, 2005.
New Orleans. Katrina.

We remember:

Whole families wading in chest-high floods.
Bodies floating in toxic water, a dead grandmother left to bake in the sun.
Desperation, hunger and thirst emanating off scorching rooftops.
People, most of them Black, packed into a modern-day stadium slave ship.
Over 100,000 -- abandoned and criminalized.
Soldiers and cops and even Blackwater mercenaries pointing guns at -- and yes, beating, shooting at, and killing -- people trying to survive.
Families separated by heartless evacuation.

Many, many needlessly dead.

And we remember the poor, mainly Black, people in New Orleans – abandoned by the government -- taking matters into their own hands, overwhelmingly in order to support and help each other, especially those in the most desperate need. We remember the youth wading in chest-high water to save those who were trapped, commandeering school and city buses to get people to safety, and sharing food and water taken from deserted stores. We remember people voicing their outrage at a government, a regime, a system that had not only left them to rot, but penned them in by force.

We remember the people all over the country, from many different walks of life, stepping forward in thousands of ways to try to help, only to be thwarted by the government.

And we remember Bush, fiddling like Nero when Rome burned, heartless. We remember learning how first Congress and then Bush had slashed funds for the levees – in the face of warnings that they would blow. We remember his mother saying that things “were working out very well” for the Katrina victims, as families were split apart and people waited for word of their loved ones. We remember the Louisiana Congressman who said they had been trying to get rid of public housing for years, and now “God had done it” through the hurricanes.

We remember. And we must never forget . . . and never forgive.

To read the rest, http://revcom.us/a/058/katrina-editorial-en.html

posted by  SyntheticTrust

Yeah, it sucked what happened, but I skimmed through that link, and it's just a bunch of anti-Bush propaganda. Hooray....

posted by  dodgerforlife

yeah, and it conveniently forgets that Bush and Co. informed the governor of LA and the Mayor of NO to get the people out before katrina arrived, and ALREADY had naval ships heading around from the east coast before the hurricane arrived. Bothte governor and the mayor in public, and on public record, refused assistance. Mississippi didn't refuse assistance and had national guard and marines on site immediately (remember, the feds can't legally come in unless asked, no matter how much the Pres wants them to). Still, even with federal assistance, Biloxi and the gulf coast of Mississippi got blasted as hard as NOLA.

Everybody whines about NOLA, but forgets how hard the rest of the gulf was hit.

And federal troops and Guardsmen from other states cannot be sent to a disaster area until their presence has been requested by the governors of the afflicted states.

Exhibit A on the bill of indictment of federal sluggishness is that it took four days before most people were evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

The levee broke Tuesday morning. Buses had to be rounded up and driven from Houston to New Orleans across debris-strewn roads. The first ones arrived Wednesday evening. That seems pretty fast to me.

A better question -- which few journalists ask -- is why weren't the roughly 2,000 municipal and school buses in New Orleans utilized to take people out of the city before Katrina struck?

So many people complain about the response being slow due to so many of the refugees being "poor and black." But the response time was the same for NOLA as it was for areas of Mississippi that were "wealthy and white." People in those areas lost as much, but can't blame anything on being racial victims. And teh whining about poor and black refugees ignores that fact that 2/3rds of NOLA's black population WAS evacuated. In fact, the numbers of evacuated people was greater than estimates before the disaster hit.

posted by  ChrisV

Wow, for a really good look at how things worked in the 4 state region, check this report out:

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2005/tr20050901-3843.html

And this is the President's response on August 27, 2005. Fiddling while Nero burned? I think not...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/20050827-1.html

Yes, during this time he was doing the job of President, travelling the nation. See, the government consists of more than just the President. Even in a business, the owner directs staff to do specific jobs, and then gets reports on how those jobs are going while the owner themselves takes care of other business. The President took the legal steps necessary to set in motion existing government entities to do their jobs, FEMA, DOD, the National guard, etc. The President should not be required to ALSO be there on site while those entities do their jobs. Thinking that he should be is retarded.

posted by  ChrisV

i was there at the naval base for pretty much the whole month of september as part of the active duty army task force. warnings were issued to evacuate well before the storm struck, people didnt want to leave, those are the ones who died for the most part.

here's a video of my unit there http://www.bragg.army.mil/82dv/Videos/Hurricane%20Katrina.WMV

posted by  jackal2000

Go figure..... only a woman would be able to post something so ignorant.

posted by  Pythias2050

Has anyone actually looked at the website where that drivel came from. The name of it is "Revolution" and it's tag line is "Voice of the Revolutionary Communist Party, USA". I feel bad that I spent 23 years of my life in the US military to ensure people the freedom to distribute such garbage.

SyntheticTrust, you have displayed over and over on this forum that you are completely devoid of a clue, are a self-centered attention whore and basically a waste of oxygen, but this really takes the cake. If you really feel that strongly about how lousy the government of this great country is, I suggest you pack your bags and move to China. I'll pay for your ticket. You can practice your freedom of speech there and see how far it gets you.

Now for my freedom of speech. I have no use for you or people like you. I hope that very soon you say the wrong thing in front of the wrong coon ass redneck and he and his cronies have their way with you before skinning and gutting you, then feeding your remains to the turtles just for fun. I hope you find that one tenth as offensive as I find what you posted and linked here.

posted by  vwhobo

And what you just posted was just as ignorant as what she posted. You must be a woman, I presume.

And thanks chrisv for shedding some light of truth on all this. I never did know what to believe and never took the time to research.

posted by  Bronxie

LOL what the hell..."chairman of the revolutionist communist party"?

Some people aren't worthy of their citizenship, while thousands would near die for that same right...

And why does this bob avakian guy keep quoting himself? Why can't he quote something credible? Oh, cause NOTHING CREDIBLE WOULD ACTUALLY BUY INTO THIS BRAINLESS SHIT LOL

posted by  Bronxie

Only an uneducated boor would make a statement as ignorant as the one you just posted.

posted by  97Talonchik

My thoughts are with all those who suffered and are still suffereing in alot of cases. I have never understood politics and probably never will, so I'll leave it at this.....

posted by  Cliffy

I'm about as much of a woman as your father, it was a sarcastic statement, as in not meant to be taken literally, thank you for not just keeping your mouth closed, but opening it and proving what an idiot you are for taking me serious, if only for one post.

posted by  Pythias2050

This is a serious post, albeit a stupid one, it was intended in all seriousness, so to respond with a crude remark, joke or not, you can only expect it to be taken one way.

Besides, I do understand. When I'm with my friends I make fun of women all the time lol. It's just being on popular forums is like being in public. You shouldn't do it in public :p

posted by  Bronxie

Yeah, seriously stupid. Very seriously stupid. Have you noticed that the OP, even though I know for a fact she's read the thread at least once, hasn't come back to defend her position? Do you know why? Because people like her don't really have a position or an educated opinion. They just hear something that sounds good and pass it on. That's why there's so much misinformation in this world, especially now that we have almost instantaneous communication worldwide.

posted by  vwhobo

Because it's easier to jump on a bandwagon than to step back and formulate your own opinion based on various viewpoints :p

posted by  Bronxie

Based on various viewpoints? How about based on facts? We're not talking about picking a color for your living room furniture. :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

Well, yes, facts first. I don't think this situation calls for much interpretation...it's basically black and white

posted by  Bronxie

But according to the commie's viewpoint, President Bush was responsible for everything except lining up poor black people and executing them... And anyone who mindlessly reads his lies, like the OP, accepts them as fact.

It all comes down to what people chose to hear based on their own agenda. Watch the letters section at the end of the O'Reilly Factor one night. Why does he continuously get letters from people who watch the same segment, and then some call him liberal (or Democrat) and some call him conservative (or Republican)? Because they hear what they want to hear regardless of the facts.

posted by  vwhobo

I think she just heard it was the anniversary of Katrina, tried to look up something meaningful, and posted it with visions of us applauding her sensitivity.

:clap:

posted by  Mathew

Too bad it kinda backfired. :laughing:

posted by  Pythias2050

Your Message