Funny story

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Funny story

Alright well this kid at my school drives a Turbo prelude

http://myspace-204.vo.llnwd.net/00585/40/22/585342204_l.jpg

Anyway, he comes to the weekly meet, with the bumper kinda banged up a lot more than usual. I ask him what happened. He came home at 3am one night and thought his dad was already home so he parked the car in the driveway, and went to sleep. His dad got home at 4am, and saw his sons car in the driveway so he moved it into the garage.

The fun begins here. His dad left the car in gear parked, and the kid uses a remote starter every morning. Presses button, and all of a sudden the car is in his basement. Just a funny story I wanted to share.

posted by  newyorker

That's actually kinda tragic. My Dad leaves my car in gear everytime he drives it (I hate it).

posted by  elchango36

Haha, thats pretty funny. I'm sure a long argument about who's fault it was followed...

posted by  Mathew

Wow, I would be pissed ! Except it'd be fun driving it out of the basement!

posted by  Bronxie

I'm supriseed there wasn't alot more damage, although I guess it might be worse than you made it sound. I'm also suprised that it started whilst in gear, with the remote starter :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

How would this work anyways? Don't you have to hit the clutch even though it's in gear? What does this remote car starter control? Just the ignition?

posted by  Bronxie

I think alot of cars are like that over there in the States, probably because Auto's are more commonly used thus manuals might throw people off track by them leaving it in gear accidentaly?? In the UK not many cars feature this device, mainly only older Hyundais and some Kias :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

It would have to be an auto

posted by  99integra

I've never installed one. It would seem to me that if it was properly installed, this would not happen.

posted by  thefonz

Not necessarily, there are remote start kits for M/T. You just have to be extra carefull not to leave it in gear.

Installation has little to do with it in this case. The kits sold to the public don't have any type of feauture that would deactivate the remote start if left in gear (at least that I'm aware of). I'm sure it could be done, but something like that would be custom.

posted by  elchango36

Hmm, idk anyone who would do it wit a manual though. I always park my truck by leavin it in gear

posted by  99integra

I use gear nad handbrake

posted by  newyorker

I don't have hills or a handbrake, I have the one you push with your foot and it doesn't hold for shit:mrgreen:

posted by  99integra

I never leave it in gear, though I should prolly start, and when approaching a red light I usually put it in neutral and coast.

posted by  Pythias

Well technically its called the e-brake lol. The fact that it doesnt hold is a diff story. I park in my driveway slanted about 30 degrees so both are a must

posted by  newyorker

I ALWAYS coast to the light. Saves a lot of gas that way, and people said the car can stall, but I dont see how. My RPM drops to 1000, and then eases down to 700 (or whatever the idle is), so I dont see how it can just dip below that

posted by  newyorker

I always shift to neutral when comin to a stop light in my moms auto Altima, never heard of people sayin it stalls that way

posted by  99integra

Ive heard people say it. There was even a thread here saying it was illegal

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1537&highlight=coasting

posted by  newyorker

You don't stall if you coast in neutral. That's the thing about neutral, it's not in gear so there is no resistance to slow the car down and the rpm down, besides friction. That's why you can go into neutral and coast for a long time without reaching a stop.

posted by  Bronxie

I've been told that when driving a standard, if you downshift to slow down rather than use the brakes and that causes an accident because the guy behind you didn't notice you slowing and didn't see brake lights, you get screwed (around here anyway)..

posted by  car_crazy89

I sort of agree with that, but that does prompt me to link to this (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=23762) thread.....I think jcutsh was kind of bringing me round to his way of thinking.......although I still prefer the brakes, lol

posted by  Cliffy

How is that different than just not hitting the gas? What if you're in 2nd gear and just don't hit the gas? Is that your fault too? I think that's a stupid law if that's true. :(

posted by  Bronxie

No, because if you're in a gear and simply take your foot off the accelarator, you're not going to slow down as accessively as you would if you down shifted....Unless I misunderstood the post, lol!

Thanx for changing the sig by the way....I found that egg offensive....lol, jk

posted by  Cliffy

I don't own a car with manual but I drive my friend's car a lot and it doesn't slow down a lot when you downshift. If you just think about the mechanics of the gears and such, what would make it slow down substantially? The car still goes the same speed, thats why downshifting obviously will make your rpm go really high. If it was slowing down, like it would if you were braking, your rpm would barely lower. I might be wrong here or I am missing something, but it doesn't make sense to me. Someone explain please.

And yeah, I decided the egg was too "adult content" for the kids viewing these forums :laughing:

posted by  Bronxie

I didn't get the egg..did it mean it was a bad meat eating egg :ohcrap: :laughing:

posted by  99integra

It all depends on what gear you shift down to, and how fast you're travelling, but generally speaking, the car will serge forward...slowing down!

posted by  Cliffy

You mean the weight shifts to the front?

posted by  Bronxie

when im driving the buick ( auto) I just put it in drive

I cant think of any uses for nuetral, unless you need your car to roll, but thats pretty obvious

at lights, I just brake until stopped, then gently press the gas to move again
I cant think of a reason why I would want to complicate that process:laughing:

butt thats just my :2cents:

posted by  nighthawk

I'm not sure that's the best way to explain it........maybe it's just because I've never looked at it like that before?

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message