Help, IE7

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Help, IE7

I just upgraded to IE7 this morning, and besides the normal period of getting used to the "improved" layout, I'm having what I feel is a bit of a problem. On every website I've checked, the words (letters, digits, fonts?) seem fuzzy/blurry/shadowy. Not so much as to be unreadable, just annoying. Pictures and images are as sharp as ever.

I know IE7 is very new so you may not have experienced it yet, but does anyone know what the fix might be? Any help is greatly appreciated, but keep the instructions simple... I just barely know how to turn on the computer. Thanks.

P.S. While proof reading this post it occured to me that the font style seems slightly different as well, although it may just seem that way because it's harder to read.

posted by  vwhobo

Old age in those eyes getting to ya hobo :laughing: jk. No I don't know much about internet explorer since I never used it after it loaded my computer with a parade of spyware and trojans. I would suggest you maybe try mozilla firefox or opera. Firefox is really secure and recommended by many aside from me and with opera its about the same I only notice smoother scrolling up and down on pages. Hope I helped you in some way.

posted by  Spanky2324

Are you running a beta version? Go under tools and options. See if anything helps u there. Sometimes it might be the fact that its beta, and not fully developed, but I dont know .

posted by  newyorker

That'll be a negative on the Beta version. It was released to the public earlier this week. As far as tools and options, I can't find one that says "make the letters less blurry".

posted by  vwhobo

I appreciate the info, but I've never had a problem with IE.

posted by  vwhobo

Try contacting microsoft. If the version of IE is free, I can download it for myself, and then tell you if its just your machine. Otherwise, I can be of no help.

posted by  newyorker

Have at it Studly. :wink2:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx?mg_ID=10010

posted by  vwhobo

Downloading. Can you take a screen dump of your explorer and post it? Just wana know what ur looking at in comparison to what I will be looking at.

posted by  newyorker

I only know how to take one kind of dump, and I don't know how to do screen shots either. It's really very simple, the letters are just fuzzy instead of sharp and clear like they were previously. Images and letters as part of an image are just dandy.

posted by  vwhobo

Press the button to the right of the "F12" key...its labeled "PrtScn" or "Sysrq"

P.S. Currently installing

posted by  newyorker

I went through this with chris_knows several months ago. It doesn't work. The only way for me to get a screen shot is to go through a bunch of sh*t I can't remember because I don't do it often enough. It's a pain in the ass, and I have to leave to meet a client at one o'clock..

posted by  vwhobo

This is what Im seeing in IE.
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/6210/dumpkv7.jpg

This is what it looks like in Firefox
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/8016/dump2dd9.jpg

Seems to be not just your machine.

posted by  newyorker

Seems to be just the layout of the new software, but I must say its easier on the eyes. Still stickin with firefox tho

posted by  newyorker

I couldn't even get IE7...It had to verify that my Windows was authentic but an error kept coming up (Probably because it's not authentic :laughing: ).

posted by  chris_knows

tisk tisk tisk

posted by  newyorker

Well my help or opinion is a little late here, damn work. Anyways, IE has some nice features offered with it (its about time), but I would still go with Firefox or Netscape. Some of the features that IE7 offer sound compelling, however you can get add-ons to Firefox that will allow you to do simuliar things. Plus I am not the biggest fan of MS

posted by  Voda48

Strange...I just downloaded it and it seems okay here!

Edit: Now I'm not sure if it's just that I'm looking too closely, but things do look a little blurry to me now. :doh:

It looks almost as if the text is 'toned down' or dimmed a bit?

posted by  Cliffy

I have the answer... sort of. For any of you who have downloaded IE7 and seen the screen that has the words "open once" in the address, it takes you to a screen with a few viewing options. One of those options is "letter viewing sharpness wizard" or some such crap. As soon as I deselected that option and rebooted my computer, presto chango, my text is back to normal.

The problem (not for me, I'm fixed) is I can't tell you how to get back to that page or even how I did it.

posted by  vwhobo

Yes IE7 uses ClearType rendering.

posted by  Wally

LOL...isn't that just how it happens a lot of times. You're poking around not really paying attn to how and where you are...and VOILA! The problem is gone and the initial euphoria precludes all thoughts of how it was done.

:laughing:

I was about to dl IE7 also...but now I'll just wait a while.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Don't, it works great. The first time you open your browser after rebooting, the correct page comes up... Now that they have that glitch fixed. You'll see what I mean.

posted by  vwhobo

ive just downloaded it and ive got no troubles (just yet) apart from when i want to post a link, it will ask me to temporarily allow me to add in links, pics etc, im not whining though and i wont bother looking for a way to stop it because as i said, its not causing trouble

posted by  True_Brit

Newyorker's advice for taking a screenshot should work, he just forgot to tell you that pressing that key copies the screen, and you then have to paste (press v while holding ctrl) it into paint or another image program. And if you want to only copy an image of your active window, hold alt and press printscreen.

posted by  jedimario

lol, I just found that now...I was going to let everyone know.....but you got there first Hobo. I didn't use it myself as my text seems to be ok at the moment. I too have no idea how to get it back though

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message