What are the odds?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  What are the odds?

One of my buddies told me last night about a stroke of bad luck he had regarding the first car he ever bought. Only 5 months after buying a brand new 2003 Toyota Camry his car was nailed by a golf ball. He wasn't even parked. He was actually just driving by the course. What are the freakin' odds of that happening? I deduced that someone was probably aiming at his car but probably thought that they had no chance of hitting it....and they did! :doh:

http://www.myimpactengine.com/members/01012005072524013354/fat%20golfer.jpg

posted by  MakeItRain

Was there any damage done to it? That's pretty funny lol.

posted by  chris_knows

A pretty serious dent apparently. You would have to meet the kid....the strangest things always seem to happen to him. I have never heard of a rando golf ball hitting car driving by a course. It sounded as though the ball had to make it through quite a bit of trees in order to reach the road! :orglaugh:

posted by  MakeItRain

Are you sure the golf ball was 'legitimately' hit? I mean, a van where I used to work was hit by a golf ball, and although we couldn't prove anything, we think it was thrown by a yobbo. It shattered the windscreen! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

What's a yobbo.....I'm guessing you are talking about a water balloon laucher? I wasn't there but I would be a little suspicious. Honestly you probably would be more likely to be hit by lightening on a sunny day than a rando golf ball hitting a moving car that is protected by trees lining the side of the road:screwy: :screwy:

posted by  MakeItRain

lol...A 'yobbo' is a common British term for a youth, or teenager :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

I live really close to a golf course, and about 1/4 of my routes involve going by a hole. Being a golfer myself, I can honestly say that there is a pretty good chance it was done by accident. Trees will stop less than half of golf balls, the only time the stop them is when they hit the dead center of the of the tree trunk. When my mom walks the dog she usually goes down by the golf course, and often picks up three or more golf balls she found near the road. I am amazed I have yet to be hit.

posted by  giant016

where i live, a main road connecting plymouth to tavistock runs right through a golf course, no nets and signs constantly saying "low flying balls":laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

Well apparently it is not that weird of a phenomenon (Golf Ball Hitting Moving Car)! Maybe it is to me because I don't play golf. I only go to the driving range and when I'm there I always try to hit that little motorized cart with a cage on it that goes around picking up balls. That little cart is impossible to hit...although it appears to be entirely doable! :banana:

posted by  MakeItRain

ive hit a milk urn at the 210 yd marker at the drivng range! shouldve heard the noise! i got £20 for it as a bet with my mates!!!

posted by  True_Brit

Like a chav??

posted by  Bronxie

exactly!
chavs-http://www.ratemyhat.co.uk/chavs.jpg
yobbo's (or Yobs)-http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/images/thugs.jpg
and a car they would normally drive around in!
http://www.youknowsit.co.uk/lowtech/mystic/Chavalier/chavalier.jpg

posted by  True_Brit

Down to a tee, lol......(lame pun:doh: ). Somebody pass me a shotgun! :cussing:

posted by  Cliffy

Rofl, my english friends taught me that.

Is it true that chavs sometimes go up to you in gangs and slap you really hard? LOLLLLL happy slapping or something?

posted by  Bronxie

Yes...they film it, too! Very dangerous, people have died where it has gone too far! What's a definition of a happy slapper? a footballers wife with a Gold card! lol....heard that on TV the other day :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

well i caddie during the summer and our golf coarse has 2 holes that go along a road. A lot of times golfers will hit the balls left and they will go on the road. I have seen golf balls hit houses, cars and even a group of motorcycle rider. Once when i didnt have my car yet, i was riding my bicycle home and a golf ball hit my handlebars. It came inches away from my hands.

I dunno about the coarses where u are, but i know that our coarse has some kind of insurance to cover the damages.

posted by  V-Tec

Your Message