Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

I just got the European release (U.S. isn't out yet) for Double Agent, for PC...and after spending the last 3-4 hours getting it to work without the CD :wink2:, it loads the game, but then it freezes immediately...The minimum system requirements are pretty tight, but it runs a thing that tells you what's compatible and what isn't. I had everything excepts for a video card with 3.0 Shader enabled (I have 2.0) [No clue what that means lol]. I'm wondering if this is the reason that the game won't work for me. Could anyone help me out, and tell me if I'm screwed and need a new Video Card or if there's some way to get it to play (not necessarily on optimal graphics)? Thanks in advance for any help with this :thumbs:

Oh, BTW I have an ATi Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M Video Card if it makes any difference.

posted by  chris_knows

So I guess I'm f*cked? lol.

If I can't do that, could I get a new video card (for a laptop) that I could install myself? lol

posted by  chris_knows

I dunno about laptops, I guess they are a pain in the ass to get into and work on, but I had the same problem. We ended up getting a new video car and everything worked out fine. Only problem is the video card can get pretty pricy. Why coulodn't you wait for the american version? Did you turn into cartman and try to freeze yourself because you were going insane? be honest:laughing:

posted by  salimander13

Lol...I have to download those Southpark episodes because I don't think that they air them here until Friday or something lol. The reason that I downloaded it is because I found direct links to download from, so it would only take me about 2 hours to get (probably already been removed though lol). I'm pretty sure the American version has the same requirements anyhow though. I'm planning on upgrading my RAM, Hard drive and processor (last thing--my current one's pretty good) eventually...I'm wondering if I should take the bottom part of the case to see what's under there, because I heard that it was safe to do. I'm just scared because very little of what I take apart comes back together lol.

posted by  chris_knows

(from wikipedia) A shader is a computer program used in 3D computer graphics to determine the final surface properties of an object or image. This often includes arbitrarily complex descriptions of texture mapping, light absorption, diffusion, reflection, refraction, shadowing, surface displacement and post-processing effects.

yeah you will probably need a new video card unless you can somehow get the shader 3.0 for your card.

posted by  azkid110

It might be difficult to replace a GPU in a laptop, because they are generally integrated into the motherboard.

posted by  Bubba

GPU? According to Google, that's a graphics adapter or something? So basically it's virtually impossible? Is there a way to find if mine video card's part of the motherboard?

Or...could I get a new motherboard altogether? I found some that are reasonably priced...or would it be cheaper to just build a new PC altogether? lol.

posted by  chris_knows

GPU=Graphics Processor Unit= video card.:thumbs:

The only way to really replace an integrated video card is to replace the motherboard. Only trouble with that is, most Laptops are designed around a certain motherboard, kind of a proprietary design, so that another type might not fit, or even work.

What is the Brand/model of your laptop?

posted by  Bubba

HP Pavilion ZV6170CA...So if I were to get a new MoBo, what else would I need?

Thanks for the help! BTW :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Chris you are f'd dont bother. You are better off buying a new PC , this is generaly a prob that most laptop users run into. Take an image of the screen you get and send it to me so I can read it.

posted by  Voda48

Aww...I guess I'll do that...eventually. I'll post the screen up tomorrow because I have to extract a giant file and then mount it and stuff, but I'm pretty positive it's the GPU because Ubisoft released a list of cards that worked and there were only 5 or so...needless to say mine wasn't one of them lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message