Ps3...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Ps3...

I was looking at some new games, and saw something about PS3 apparently, it came out today in Japan, and in 6 days will come out here. Unfortunately, Europe and Australia don't get it until March. Looks pretty good, and I actually think it would be better than the XBOX 360...but it's also $200 more, although I guess the price will eventually drop. I want one, but $600 is a bit steep IMO.

Anyone here planning on getting one?

posted by  chris_knows

I'm getting one for Christmas...of '07 :wink2: .

posted by  elchango36

ya i am getting it. Going to get it on the first day it comes out. Then sell it on ebay.
Last year i did the same thing with the x box 360, and made a nice profit.

Only downside is camping out overnight in cold chicago weather.

posted by  V-Tec

From what I've heard there is supposed to be a lot of rules going on ebay with a ps3. A max limit to the price so on and so forth

posted by  Spanky2324

i'll stick to my good ol' 360 until its cheap enough!!!

posted by  True_Brit

I will eventually get one, but only in a year or so. I see no point in jumping the gun and getting it as soon as it's released, especially given that these things seem to drop in price quite quickly in their first year!

posted by  Cliffy

I have heard some not soo good info on it. I would rather have the Nintendo Wii anyways :thumbs:

posted by  Voda48

by the time ive got carbon beaten for ps2, my video game days will be running to an end I think:2cents:

posted by  nighthawk

if i move by christmas or so, then ill buy it this year or in january.

if everythings gets fixed with my g/f, then ill make her buy it for me for all the shit ive gone through thx to her (trust me, shes done enough to get me a ps3, the 360 she owes me, and the intake manifold she promised a year ago).

if i have to use my personal, own, hard earned money, then im waiting a year :smoke:

posted by  Inygknok

You just know that's going to end in tears, lol....like all of Sega's recent attempts to update the Mega Drive :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

really? my friend sold a ps3 yeaterday on ebay for $1600. He camped out at toys r us for a pre order. I dont think ebay had any rules there...

posted by  V-Tec

Nintendo Wii is way better.. Its plain out simple.
PS3 = Overpriced / Basicly the same as ps3 [ Controlers ] / Expensive Games
Wii = Cheap / Advanced Realistic Controler / Cheap Games

posted by  thomas232

I'm getting a ticket that'll let me buy a PS3 and selling that lol

posted by  jedimario

Wow....sounds like you guys have a solid relationship :thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

And Nintendo's done soooo well these past couple of years...:ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Your an IDIOT.

PS3 overpriced? LMFAO, for 60gigbytes, wireless controllers standard (not same as PS2 dumbass) expensive games? Depends on the manufacturer, I just pulled our a catalog most were 50$ same as PS2.

60 GB
Blu-ray drive technology
HDMI port
Bluetooth controller's (wireless)
Chrome trim
Built-in Wi-Fi
Flash card readers

For 600$ that isn't that bad, and after christams when it comes down to 550 500$ eventually that will be amazing. I don't know where your sensless ignorance comes from, brand-loyalty or just plain stupidity.

posted by  Pythias

Clearly he's an advert.

posted by  elchango36

Lol didn't look much into it, just saw that stupid ass comment and had to reply. :banghead:

posted by  Pythias

That is why the Wii is so highly sought after by many folks, it actualy is trying to rebuild Nintendo's image. If you dl the video, you will see that NIn is trying to ditch the little kid image that their systems have adapted in the past few years. I would personaly buy that over the PS3.

posted by  Voda48

The PS3 is way overpriced fpr a games console, over twice as much as a Wii. This could be the downfall of the PS3. For the price of a PS3 I could get a Wii or 360 with loads of games. And Sony have shot themselves in the foot by making it illegal to import a PS3 from Asia into Europe leaving this Xmas completely open to Microsoft and Ninetendo. In fact why the hell are they making us wait longer than you guys!!!

posted by  fudge

Can the Nintendo thingy do everything that the PS3 can though? Also, the PS3 won't always cost that much!

posted by  Cliffy

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYSTATION-3-PS3-Reserved-Preorder-60GB-SHIPS-11-17_W0 QQitemZ110055389848QQihZ001QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The madness begins. It will be higher most likely. Not surprised if it breaks 5k

posted by  newyorker

Not really, when 360 first came out it was around 500$ as well, or did you forget that? Just as well 360 games are around 50-60$, this is the first time PS3 is comming out so OBVIOUSLY the prices will be a little higher, then it will settle down just like the 360. As for the Wii, sure you could buy that and maybe like 5 games or so? But it can't do half as much as the 360 or PS3 can. If you really think this is the downfall of Sony you must not be opening your eyes, it's the downfall of Nintendo, and it's last hope. Sony has already outdone the DS for only 150$ to 130$ for a brand new PSP to DS, hmmm wonder what I should get? Something that plays movies and has better graphics x10 and can store media files or a DS that has 2 screens?

posted by  Pythias

The 360 can afford to have a high release price as they are the only 'new generation' consoles at it's time-which was a whole year ago!! Sony however isn't alone.

And I really can't see why the Wii can't do half of what the PS3 can. As long as it can play the latest games thats all that matters. I wouldn't use a games console to go onto the internet or watch DVD's. I have a computer that does that job.

posted by  fudge

FYI, that system sold for 5700 dollars with 56 bids

posted by  newyorker

That just proves V-tec's point in being the first to get a PS3. I bet he and his friend is laughing his way to the bank right now.

posted by  fudge

I whole heartedly agree! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Wow...the person has enough money to spend $5700 on a PS3, but they still can't move out of their parents' basement :laughing:

BTW It says the PS3 sold for $4050...

posted by  chris_knows

This craze !! :screwy:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/17/ps3_ebay_sales/

posted by  an_talpur

well after 2 days camped out, i got my ps3. off it goes to ebay. Just put it up. so its ending in a day, and its on like page 200+ for ps3's
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE %3AIT&viewitem=&item=190052928831&rd=1&rd=1

i am gonna have people bid on it to get it up to 1500 and from there it csn be a free fpr all. Just need to advertise on some forums to get exposure since its on page 200+ lol.

my frined sold his for $3500

posted by  V-Tec

How can the PS3 with Blu-Ray cost $600 when a PC drive can't be had for under $700 (Even though that can also burn disks)...

posted by  chris_knows

Whoever said nintendo has kid games attached to its image is right. I can't think of any cool games for nintendo that have been out that haven't been like...cartoon characters or rated above E. I feel like IRL is rated at least T, so anything not T just isn't realistic and not fun.

Oh yeah, and 600 bucks for a ps3 is not a lot. You have to remember this is not just a game console. It's a powerful computer. How much does your desktop or laptop cost?

posted by  Bronxie

I meant just the drive--this:
http://www.engadget.com/media/2005/12/pioneer-blu-ray-drive.jpg costs $700 lol...

posted by  chris_knows

LoZ Twilight Princess and Red Steel should have something to say about that...and how can you say nothing below T isn't fun? Racing games? You're on CF, you should like those :laughing:

posted by  jedimario

I don't think the PS3 can burn blu-ray CDs yet. That's why it's cheaper than a blu-ray writer. But for storage purposes alone I can't trust CD's as they don't have much protection against scratches and for the amount of data stored on those things I would like it to be durable. Also an extenal hard drive can store loads more, is faster and doesn't have the risk of being scratched.

The PS3 is a powerful computer no doubt about that but how do you go about using it as one?? I don't think the first gen PS3 came with Linux and without a keyboard it'll be a bitch to type(unless you get one with it). I remembered when the Dreamcast tried to do things like the PS3 such as going on the internet or using Windows CE but most users never bothered with it as they most likely have a desktop PC which did it far better. I kinda fear the PS3 is heading towards that path.

posted by  fudge

I'm with fudge on this one. This was the same argument the cable companies came up with when digital cable first came out. Oh, it has this, this, and that, all kinds of pretty channels and a digital guide so that must justify hiking the price from $30/mo to $70. They know a lot of customers still won't buy that argument, because first and foremost, it's still freaking TV. Regardless of what you get with it, a lot of customers still think paying $70/mo is horsecrap and therefore choose other options. Choosing to shell out the extra $$$ is a question of personal value and preference, not one's degree of brain function.

posted by  JaneiR36

btw update for u guys that saw my action end. That was my friend that bid that. I wasnt happy with the price it was at. I ended up sellin the ps3 locally for $2000.

posted by  V-Tec

Not bad considering you paid 600, so you made over 3x.... but I have seen so many go for 3k+++ on ebay! I wonder why yours didn't? Oh well can't get to greedy right?

posted by  Pythias

actually, she's just done enough shit to push me far enough for me to request things that anyone would consider "unfair".

im still not going to buy her a damn christmas gift, wether she buys me the ps3 or not.

posted by  Inygknok

Because people don't understand the idea of marketability and or supply and demand. Everyone is selling there PS3's online now while they can and they are gradually not being sold for $3000 and $3500 because the online market is saturated with them. I'm holding out on mine until most of all the internet units have been sold and I'm going to sell ine right before xmas, and right before Sony(if they ever do) sends out another shipment.

By the time there are 50 some odd units on ebay and the demand is really high and the supply is really low; I will be able to bank the $3000+ that the first few PS3's sold for when there were no other options. Not to mention have the selling point of free HD cables because the $600 piece of shit didn't come with any.

posted by  DSMer

I fail to understand the point of spending like $2,000 on a PS3. Surely in a year those people will be kind of upset that the machine they forked out their hard earned $2,000 on is now only $500 or so. Are people really that desperate?

posted by  Cliffy

Iwas in the middle of no where all weekend, however I heard that they sold for as much as $15,500 for a PS3! WTF!

posted by  Voda48

Are you kidding? This is AMERICA. People want to have the biggest and baddest shit before anyone else does. Its all an image of status. I personally know someone who was just simply to lazy to wait in line so they just ordered one on ebay for $2500. If you have it to spend and you want it, why not?

posted by  DSMer

Maybe I'm just too tight with my money, but even if I had that sort of money to spend, I doubt I would. I would feel far to guilty afterwards! :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Yes...

posted by  Inygknok

They're raffling off a Wii at my school...I'm going to buy like $200 worth in tickets lol.

posted by  chris_knows

For those who did managed to buy a PS3, have you played on it yet and does it justify it's asking price??

posted by  fudge

i have played it and i think its worth it. It prolly isnt worth the 3k+ but 600 is def worth it. I remember i read somewhere that on each Ps3 that sony sells they lose money. They make the money on video games since it takes them about 5 cents to make each cd.

posted by  V-Tec

Your Message