Cliffy - Ashes

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Cliffy - Ashes

Not a good sign of things to come eh?:laughing:

The ashes hasn't even started and Trescothick is mentally exhausted and needed to go home to his fish 'n chips.

Do you think the Poms could do with a ring in with tenuous ties to England (I'm 5th generation Oz with Scottish bloodlines)? I could hit a ball as a youngster and would score a lot more than Marcus is going to.:wink2:

In the post match interviews I could peroxide my skin, use the barmy army as a backdrop and mouth out cliches like "aye by gum, corr blimey, old dart, bollocks,......" for authenticity. Whaddya reckon?

posted by  Wally

:orglaugh:...I am sooo confused lol.

posted by  chris_knows

me to....

posted by  Andrew0261

All will be revealed, when TrueBrit or Cliffy take the bait.:wink2:

Hint: it has something to do with a truely international sport.

posted by  Wally

No, not "oh my God he's been tripped!" football either. It's something that causes the Poms to do battle with aussies every few years, dating back to 1882.

posted by  Wally

Checked 1882 in Wikipedia, which had a link to sports in 1882 which refers to ashes...I'm not telling anyone the link though, find it yourselves lol.

posted by  chris_knows

We've decided to give the Poms a good shot and use our girls team:wink2:

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5304247,00.jpg

posted by  Wally

I just hope McGrath slips on a rugby ball again... Then we'll be in there with a slight chance!!!

posted by  fudge

And there was me thinking this thread was regarding my cremation, lol. I'm no cricket fan....but we will win whatever you throw at us, lol....maybe?

posted by  Cliffy

Definitely aussies will win.

Definitely should convert to baseball, though.

posted by  Bronxie

Why? we won last years!..but then maybe you know something that I don't, because sport isn't my strong point, lol

posted by  Cliffy

His name is Bronxie...he's obviously related to the mob. I think one of your star players will trip on an ice pick. :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Oh no. American sports networks hardly ever air stuff like that (rugby, international "football", cricket) unless it's like the world championship, or some big championship game...or something like that, and even then it's only aired for a minute at max. People here have no interest in that. Probably because of dirty ass rednecks that hate anything foreign that isn't domestic (yes, including cars).

Anyways if they won last year then they will repeat this year.

posted by  Bronxie

That is so true...

I see commercials in the US that say: "Made in America", or "Product of US Labor", "Buy American" and stuff like that...

In Brazil (and probably on all other Latin American countries) the advertising is for things that come from outside. "From USA", "Swiss Formula", etc...

Both are wrong feelings and are considered cultural prejudice.

However, I'd rather stick to being proud of my country and of the things it produces than think all that I have is bad and whatever is imported is much better, even when it's not.

posted by  Valter

Cricket>>Baseball

People keep asking me why I like cricket and how it's so boring compared to Baseball but when I was at America, I realised that Baseball is even worst to watch. Cricket has a relaxed feel to it and the batmans and bowler has more variety in their games.

posted by  fudge

No you won't. Your team even has a South African in it's ranks... how hard could it be to scrape together 11 true English players out of a population of 50 million? We even lent you Rod Marsh as a coach to get you out of the sticky.

C'mon Aussie, c'mon !

posted by  Wally

I played baseball from 14 to 19. Good game if you are a player, boring as buggery if you're a spectator. Cricket is boring too, but a good excuse to bludge, have some decent conversations with the mates, get drunk, all without distractions like organ music and loud colours.

posted by  Wally

i just hope flintoff will start bowling the ball at that aussie bloke (forgot his name) but he kept getting in the way!!!:laughing:
do you remember???

posted by  True_Brit

The sport you all are talking about i have no idel what its all about?? but football!! now you are talking, when i played football in high school , thats been many moons ago !!we had a lot of fun!. but anyway cricket ??? if thats what they wear to play and they all look like her wow i think i may have to start watching:thumbs: . I am the 3rd gen born in the US. my people are from SWANSEA, WALES. and i never heard them say anything about cricket.. i have heard of it . but couldn`t tell you what its all about, but if you guys can point me to a good web site about it let me know , Thanks later you guys

posted by  wolflazer

Welsh eh. Do they call you boyo or taffy?

About 40,000 Brits are expected to fly half way around the world to see their team get hammered.

The extraordinary lengths the poms take to make themselves look better than what they actually are is clear in the following table. You will note that Oz populatrion is only 1/15 the size of the USA and about 1/3 the UK. So what do those sneeky English do, but compete as England, but combine the rest of the UK to make it look like they did better.

Of course most of the gene pool migrated to Oz and Canada years ago, so I guess we shouldn't be too hard on them.:mrgreen:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/olympic-trivia/olympic-games-results/athens2004. html

posted by  Wally

how about....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

posted by  True_Brit

Well Wally i don`t know what that means boyo or taffy , but mostly what they call me ....well i can`t say here. but most of the guys i know and some of the girls, they all call me Hillbilly .... and i call them flat landers cause here in Indiana its so flat......

True Bret, Thanks! still don`t understand it but i guess if i could watch it on the TV i would understand it , the site you posted tells a lot about it thanks. talk to you guys later>>>>>>>>

posted by  wolflazer

This will probably be the last ashes test of Shane Warne. He's one of my favourite bowlers in the game. I'll be expecting him to take loads of wickets!!

posted by  fudge

Baseball is a sissy sport. Its all about Hockey.

posted by  Mathew

Hockey is a dying sport. It's all about american football.

posted by  Bronxie

or cricket:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

I m glad to hear about cricket from u guyz. i thought most of dun know about cricket lol.

posted by  an_talpur

It's a shame that crickets has been taken off recently on terrestrial TV. Now if you want to watch anything decent you have to get digital sattelite and SKy Sports which costs loads for subscription.

Looks like I'll be off to the student union or Walkabouts to watch the ashes when I have spare time!!

posted by  fudge

Now here's a bloke that knows how to ball tamper and use drugs.:mrgreen:

http://akhtar.bigstarcricket.com/bs/players/akhtar/

posted by  Wally

U r saysing as if other cricketer from other countries r innocent as lil babies :hi: . and u shud know that he didn't use any drug but he used nandrolone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandrolone) u can also find other cases of using Nandrolone from that link !!

posted by  an_talpur

yeah you are right, there are the Sri Lankans, Indians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Rhodesians, West Indians and English as well.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

i dnt see australia on that list:ohcrap:
i was watching a cricket game not so long ago, i cant remember who they were against but the USA have their own ICC Cricket Team!!!!!
they were thrashed!:laughing:
good game though!!!

posted by  True_Brit

http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/development/americas.html

posted by  Wally

thank you wally!:thumbs:
i was trying to find a suitable link, but youve found a good enough one for me!!!

posted by  True_Brit

Oh dear, first day of the five day match and Oz looks like it's already won the first test. The English better hope it rains.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

nah, we'll do it!
either way, who ever wins, its always a great game of "friendly" rivalry to watch!!:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

the aussie bowlers are cheating, theyre using the cracks in the ground to disrupt the england players!
dont you think thats cheating wally?
shows the aussies are slightly bitter after last year:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

Yeah that's it. What other possible explanation could there be for 5 wickets gone without even getting close to 100 runs. How about the umpire... he's gotta be good for a few wickets lost?

posted by  Wally

Using cracks on the ground is what most spinners aim for:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  fudge

Using cracks on the ground is what most spinners aim for:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  fudge

Well that's one down.

posted by  Wally

Shut up!:laughing:
its only because of the weather!

posted by  True_Brit

yeah that's it..... damned clear skies, 30°C and little wind. How is anyone supposed to play sport in that situation.:mrgreen:

Even the British bookies are predicting a 5-0 result.

At least we have the fourex tri nations beach cricket coming up ... Oz, Pommyland and The Windies past greats battle it out near the surf:
http://www.xxxxgoldbeachcricket.com.au/

I found this an entertaining tongue in cheek read.

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/American_20Cricket

posted by  Wally

England didn't do as bad as I were expecting them to, I thought they would lose by an innings but they managed to slog away at the second innings(a bit stupid considering the target was unreachable and that they had to just survive). Who knows, history could repeat itself and Adelaide could be like Edgbaston:wink2: :wink2:

And with McGrath nursing that ankle England has a pretty good chance!!

Actually we need some cloud cover to get some swing on the ball, the Aussies were in no man's land last year when the english bowlers started to swing the ball. At the Gabba however the Aussie batsmen looked undefeatable.

posted by  fudge

well, just on the news here in england, they say if england lose this test, the ashes are as good as gone, you know what else, i feel the same!!:oops:
its that terrible hot weather in oz thats done it!

posted by  True_Brit

yeah that's it... if only we could get rid of weather.:wink2:

Where's that British Bulldog, the nation of angry young men, the men that went to sea in ships, the men that ruled over half the world, the Clive, the men that gave the world rule of law and good government..... I know they emigrated to Oz :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

what else would they go to sea in??? how else would they have got down under?
im not an angry young man, to be that, you have to be a millwall fc supporter!
and heres that british bulldog!
http://wzeu.ask.com/r?t=a&d=eu&s=uk&c=p&ti=1&ai=30751&l=dir&o=312&sv
anyway, "If" you win, itll just be a "get back" at us for beating you last year, next year, we'll beat you!

posted by  True_Brit

Heh, they're not my cliches... you'll have to ask your countrymen the answers to those riddles.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

i know! i havnt actually watched the game! always on when im at work i only see whats happened on the news!

posted by  True_Brit

unno if this has been posted yet but i played for hours :thumbs:
http://survey.sky.com/herewegoagain/play_game.html

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

:smoke:

posted by  Wally

the cabbie was my favourite tool!:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

Hmmm.. I wonder why Wally has been quiet lately about the ashes? Looks like history is repeating itself and that the Aussies are struggling again. McGrath almost injured and that their bowlers are getting hardly any swing on the ball compared to the english bowlers I wouldn't be suprised if we square up the ashes after the next test. This one will probably be a draw as silly Giles dropped Ponting but things don't look promising for Australia.

posted by  fudge

Gee whiz, the Aussies give the Poms a sniff to make the series interesting and next thing we have people actually thinking Australia didn't deliberately lose the ashes last time and that the English side has a chance this series.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

Wally,,,shame Brett Lee has been fined 25% of his match fee heh:laughing:
for celebrating 'wicket' of Kevin Pietersen without waiting for Steve Bucknor's decision. tough luck, never mind!:laughing:
anyhow, whos your favourite player???
mine would be either Ian Bell, Ashley Giles and obviously Andrew Flintoff!!!

posted by  True_Brit

Well putting team loyalty aside I have to say Ricky Ponting is very impressive with the bat. Hoggard seems to be doing very well.

posted by  Wally

of oz, i do like Shane Warne and Adam Gilchrist (very good with bat in hand)

posted by  True_Brit

That's two tests.:mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

That's your excuse everytime you lose to us at anything:wink2: . The aussies were outplayed in the first innings and if Giles didn't drop Ponting you may very well could have followed on and lost. I was gutted to hear from a classmate this morning(who spent all night watching us collapse) that we threw it away on the last day.

I believed Monty should have been playing instead of Giles. He can turn the ball better. Looks like the besat we can realistically do now is tie the ashes.

posted by  fudge

Yes your team snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

posted by  Wally

what an appropriate thread for me to make my (un)triumphant return.

1 question: How the F**K can you lose a game from where the poms did? It was a gutsy move to declare with only 550 on the board. I wouldn't have done it, but it seemed like it paid off when JL was out cheaply that arvo. However the only way England were going to win is if they only had to bat once (or maybe for a bit on the last afternoon). After we avoided the follow on, we were never really going to lose. But that's no excuse for capitulating. All the poms are willing to talk up how much mentally tougher their team is these days ...... can't see it myself.

Let's face it, Australia still has a better team, both mentally and physically.... but especially mentally.

sorry to gloat, but that's how i see it :D

posted by  windsonian

Shane Warne can easily make a batting team crumble. Once Pieterson was out for 2 England were in huge trouble. Last day always is unexpected-the pitch has huge holes made by the bowlers over the last 4 days and with the uneven bounce and Warne's turn you can't rule anything out. Reminds me of Trent Bridge last year.

posted by  fudge

I think the British press are being more destructive than anyone else

posted by  Wally

i think the country is divided:
half are saying "stop gloating, we won last time, so nah nah" trying to deflect criticism
the other half are like "'ere we go again, we suck so bad, our guys just fluked it last time and now we're bottom of the pile again"

posted by  windsonian

One wag in England thinks they should give back the gongs the Queen gave them for the last effort :mrgreen: While they're at it they should strip away those farcical knighthoods from the actors and singers... what a bloody joke that is.

posted by  Wally

i remember watching this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66I1YDOKcGI
then that.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTHFl-R64Vs
the land down under do have a better team, but when its a good day, england are a cracking bunch too!
like last years ashes!

posted by  True_Brit

Well I guess it's all over red rover.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

so much for boxing day being one of the most anticipated and biggest days in test history eh?

posted by  windsonian

Your Message