Possibly buying a computer...advice?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Possibly buying a computer...advice?

I'm in the market for a new computer. I'm not really desperate, but I've been doing some research. I thought about building one, and its still a possibility.

Anyway, for the computer savvy people, do you think this is a good deal? Its not entirely specific on some things, so I'd have to research that...

Its by a Canadian company called MDG, I don't really know much about them, but they seem to have pretty competitive prices...

$1467 CAD so about $1284 USD.

# INTEL® PENTIUM® 4 PROCESSOR 3.6GHZ WITH HT TECHNOLOGY - FREE UPGRADE TO NEW POWERFUL INTEL® CORE™ 2 DUO PROCESSOR $380 VALUE!!!
# GENUINE MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® MEDIA CENTER EDITION - FREE EXPRESS UPGRADE TO
GENUINE MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® VISTA™
# Genuine Intel® Motherboard, 2 DDR2 SDRAM DIMM sockets, DDR2 667MHz and DDR2 533MHz DIMMs, up to 4GB of system memory, 8 USB 2.0 High Speed Ports, 4 SATA Interfaces, 1 PATA Interface.
GUARANTEED SUPPORT FOR THE LATEST HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE
# 1GB KINGSTON® DDR2 MEMORY - FREE UPGRADE TO 2GB MEMORY
# 750GB WESTERN DIGITAL® 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE
# HIGH SPEED SUPER MULTI DVD REWRITER - Create your own Movie Collection
# FREE Canon Multifunction PRINTER-SCANNER-COPIERr
# 20” Widescreen LCD FLAT PANEL MONITOR, 1680x1050 WSXGA+ FREE UPGRADE TO 22” LCD MONITOR
# ATI Radeon Express Video - Free Upgrade to Intel’s Next Generation Extreme Graphics Media Accelerator X3000
# Intel High Definition 3D Professional Audio
# MICROSOFT® WIRELESS KEYBOARD & WIRELESS OPTICAL MOUSE
# FREE MICROSOFT® GAMES BUNDLE
# FREE MICROSOFT® SOFTWARE BUNDLE Including Word™, Money™, Encarta™ Encyclopedia and Streets and Trips™. (This Bundle also includes; Spreadsheets, Database, Enhanced Calendar, Project Organizer, Powerpoint Viewer etc)
# FREE COREL® WORDPERFECT® OFFICE X3 (Open, edit and create Microsoft Office documents, spreadsheets. Create stunning multimedia slideshows and presentations. Includes address book and Oxford Dictionary)
# FREE BELL Sympatico High Speed Internet for 3 months
# FREE Rogers High Speed or Cogeco Internet on cable offer

posted by  Mathew

Wow...I just did some research on this company and it looks like I should avoid them! People getting stuff way late, people getting a Celeron instead of P4, or the wrong motherboard, computers crashing a week after purchase. Nevermind then!

Can anyone give me some good advice on where to look?

posted by  Mathew

That looked like a great deal, but almost too good to be true. Not sure for any websites, but I'll look around, there's plenty of them lol.

WAIT: Commercials actually paid off, mdg.ca...Give it a shot.

posted by  chris_knows

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/cat_id_~9/id_~4495/forum_id_~172/ sec_~forums/pp_~3#posts

Read that. Sooooooo much hate for MDG. It pays to research :thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

I read (skimmed through) that and the people there say that MDG tries to sell as much as they can, if you have set a budget and have a general idea of what you want, they can't really rip you off.
WHOA...I was re-reading your first post, and I just realized you got that info from MDG lol. How did I miss it?

Have you checked at Dell.ca then?

posted by  chris_knows

Yeah, if they actually gave you all that stuff they said it'd be a good deal, but the video procesor sucked. But yea avoid them. And in my honest opinion, based mine and my friend's experiences, Dells are the worst mainstream computer you can buy, avoid them.

What are you gonna want to do with this computer? I've got a HP Pavillion a1540n with an AMD Athlon 64X2 processor (2.2 GHz per core, two cores, so about 4 GHz), 2 gigs of RAM, a 250 GB SATA hard drive, and an nVidia GeForce 7900GS. I've spent just over $1000 US on it, and that seems below your price range. It runs games better than a GC, PS2, or xBox, so unless you want to more than that, a similar build would be great for ya. Any my biggest pice of advice-get rid of Norton Antivirus or Mcafee if you have one and get AVG Antivirus. Norton and McAfee take a HUGE chunk out of your computer's performance, and in my experience I've had more virus trouble with Norton than I've had with no antivirus software at all.

Hope that all made sense.

posted by  jedimario

Dude, jedimario. You got raped by prices.

I just bought myself:

AMD 64X2 4600+ (That's 2.4GHz per core)
2 gig DDR2-400
eVGA 7950GT
300g SATA Seagate hard drive
Asus motherboard

And guess what? It all cost me $600.

Cost containment. I hope you got a nive monitor to make up for the extra 400 bucks.

posted by  Godlaus

I was about to tell you to jump on it. That was a hell of a deal.

Custom make your computer, you get more comp for less price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/02/holiday_buyers_guide_2006/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/16/holiday_buyers_guide_2006/

posted by  Godlaus

How? I didi buy my computer right after it came out, probably not the smartest thing, but hey I'm happy with it and the price I paid. BTW you're missing a case lol

What's eVGA?

posted by  jedimario

I've been looking at computers all day (just to see how much they cost...I plan to get one after a car lol which won't be for about 6 months lol)...And I came across a bunch of nVidia GeForce cards, 7950GT was one of them. Here's their website http://www.evga.com ...I guess it's the same as nVidia.

posted by  chris_knows

Well guys, hanks for the advice. I'm going to go to a store called Netlink, or NCIX online http://www.ncix.com/ (check it out, tell me what you think). Its very reputable and very recommended. I'm going to tell them what I'm looking for and see about having one custom made. I'll also hit the big stores and look at some deals.

What I really want in a computer is upgradability. I don't care if it has the most ram or the best video card, or the largest hard drive. As long as it has a good motherboard with lots of room for expansion, I'll be happy. That way I can add to it when I see what it needs. I also want a huge monitor, something like 24". I mainly want to watch movies and listen to music on it, but also play the occasional really good game. Thats my requirements basically.

Also, to the disgruntled Dell owner, we've had three Dells. One was our main computer, our first one. The other two were my Dad's laptops, the first one is now our main computer, and the second one is my Dad's current computer. They have all been excellent computers, with barely any problems. I don't know how good their tech support is cause I have never had to use it. :thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

Be sure to get an SLi motherboard if you're looking for upgradability. That means its got two slots for video cards.

posted by  jedimario

Well I went to a few computer stores today, and I think I'm going to go with this one:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Asus P5N SLi Motherboard
1 GB PC5400 DDR667
320 GB Hard Drive SATA2
16x DVD Writer
Radeon X1600Pro 512 MB PCI - E Video
8 Channel audio (integrated)
Integrated gigabit network
17" ATX Tower
Logitech Cordless keyboard/mouse
XP Pro

Total before tax $1015 CAD

What do you guys think?

If you think theres anything I should get different let me know, I can swap it for the difference in price...

edit: I'm buying the monitor and speakers seperate and at a later date...22" widescreen monitor and 5.1 or 7.1 surround speakers...

posted by  Mathew

My parents have had alot of trouble with their Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard.

posted by  jedimario

Interesting! But its too late, I bought it

posted by  Mathew

Congrats again! lol...Tell us what you think of it when you get it :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Well I got my computer today! Its a sexy beast :D

posted by  Mathew

Well they just had problems with caps and num lock mostly...they just liked to turn themselves on and off, and you wouldn't be abelt to hold shift to negate it even. Wierd stuff, kinda sounds like a driver problem though.

posted by  jedimario

Your Message