Something in the water in Australia?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Something in the water in Australia?

I had the pleasure of "ringing the tellie" to Australia yesterday. They speak English right? :ohcrap:

I was set back by the terminology for one thing, but the women I spoke with were not very nice at all. I had to dial international 6 times just to get what I needed.

Perhaps it's because of my southern accent or just because I didn't understand some of the terms they use. Whatever the cause, I hope this was only an isolated incident. Are all the healthcare providers there rude or is that only to Americans? :umh:

posted by  97Talonchik

Yes everybody in Australia is rude, New Zealanders are even ruder. We are taught to be rude at an early age. :wink2: We are also taught English, but don't like to articulate because it is assumed there is no need to discuss the obvious (aka small talk). One of our national pastimes is to confuse foreigners with strine, not because we conspire, but because we really don't care about other nationals. You know how VWHobo communicates? ... well most Aussies are like that.

Seriously though there are always going to be cranky people where ever you go. I have had some pretty exasperating instances with calls to the USofA too.

posted by  Wally

You should come down to australia and sorta it all out, you can stay at my place if you want. :mrgreen:

posted by  GreekWarrior

I've seen some Australian T.V. shows and most of the stuff they say I can keep up with...I don't think I've ever talked to someone from Australia though lol.

Would they be rude to Canadians? lol.

posted by  chris_knows

paul keating seemed like a rude australian (from when i saw a tv programme about oz and england!), he didnt like england a little bit (i got that impression anyway)

posted by  True_Brit

It's just so funny how many Aussies thought I was some Japanese tourist who couldn't speak a word of english, the way they talk slooooowly to us like I was some retard and the way they react when I responded in normal english.

But they sure do know how to make nice fish and chips!!

posted by  fudge

let me guess... you walked around the streets with a camera glued to one eye, wore a pristine bum bag and dressed like someone from the fifties? :mrgreen: We would obviously have assumed you were French. Good thing you didn't turn up wearing an ogal, shumagg and dish dash ah or we would have mistaken you for a native of Holland.

Chris-knows... yes you'd get the rounds, but as many of your southern counterparts have learned it is better to say you are Canadian rather than from the US..... it is then assumed you share the same British based values and therefore can tolerate personal abuse. The women here all look like John Clease and treat tourists the way Basil Fawlty did the Germans. The males all look like Paul Hogan or Steve Irwin and we all speak nasally.... our formative years are spent creched with galahs and cockatoos.

As Fudge would have found out, all you have to do to fit in with the locals is to say we have good beer, the sheilas are crackerjack and the food is second to none. For goodness sake don't come here and start telling us how things are better and bigger elsewhere. Oh and drop the voice level down to audible... an american accent travels from one side of the continent to the other without any decibel loss, which scares the wildlife.

posted by  Wally

let's cut to the chase .... yeah, we're rude, but only to nationalities we don't like... so as long as you're aussie, you're alright! :mrgreen:

maybe you weren't subservient enough talon?

posted by  windsonian

Britain???:ohcrap:

posted by  True_Brit

We 'nucks get better treatment in Europe too, or so I've heard. The little Canadian flag we pin to our backpacks does wonders...

posted by  Mathew

ive heard the british and canadians get on like 2 peas in a pod!
and apparently the canadians understand the british better than any other nationality!!! wether thats true or not, i dont know!
chris should know:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

I had a similar experience with an Aussie on the phone yesterday. I called a helpline for some a wireless adapter that I was having trouble with. There must have been a severe time delay over the phone or something, because the line was bad, and I had to keep repeating myself to him. Infact, it was probably me who was becoming pissed off, lol. I just didn't seem to be getting anywhere with him.....he also had the tendency to assume it was me who wasn't listening to him, lol....

Wally, I always thought you Aussies were welcoming to all! lol. The Brother in-law lives in Aus now, I'll have to see if he's experienced any funny looks/stares. :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

I work with a guy from Queensland. Easy enough to understand.

posted by  PontiacFan27

i used to live near a place called adelaide and the amount of australians who believed me when i told them that is unbelieveable!!!:laughing:
problem is, now its called queen adelaide to avoid confusion for aussie tourists, which there aint any because its a small village of no tourist importance!!!

posted by  True_Brit

Well we are really, but I didn't want to spoil a good story. Culturally I guess we have a tendancy to say it as it is, which can be misinterpreted as impolite. As a pom, your brother in law would automatically have been given the rounds, but if he was smart enough to pull his head in I'm sure he is well on the road to becoming a typical migrant = more fiercely Australian than the Australians (it's something about not letting us make the same mistakes the UK have).

posted by  Wally

I was quite set aback by the term surname, which I have never heard in my life (yes I suppose maybe I'm sheltered). We just don't use that term here. Too many syllables I suppose. The woman on the other line acted like I was an idiot because I had no idea what she was asking for (thank you American educational system!). :)

Alas, perhaps it was because it was so early in the morning there. I know I'm not as chipper before my cup of coffee.

posted by  97Talonchik

Did you look it up to find the spelling, too? lol....It's strange how different countries are acustomed to different words etc. We use the word surname all the time. What do you use instead? Last name?

posted by  Cliffy

forname, middle name, surname- jamie H.N!

posted by  True_Brit

:laughing: I can just imagine the conversation..."surname please"..."what?"..."what is your surname"...."what are you talking about?"..."I need your surname"..."why are you calling me Sir, I'm a woman goddamnit! and my name is Morag"
:mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

:orglaugh:

posted by  witty gp

Well, it did go somewhat like that, except for the Morag part and the cursing. I was quite embarassed when she told me surname was last name.

posted by  97Talonchik

Your Message