Global Warming

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Global Warming

I just watched Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" last night, and it made me think. Before the video, I used to think that he was a hippie-bullshitter before, but I actually have some respect for the guy. I don't believe all of the stuff he says in the movie, like how much heat was affected by carbon dioxide. Sure, CO2 affects the temperature of the Earth, but not by the amount that he claims. He also fails to bring water vapour into account for global warming. Gore also brings up the point that other countries average much higher fuel efficiencies. That's obviously true, but diesel cars are also much more common, and they obviously also achieve higher mileage from that, but he failed to mention that those countries also have much higher sulfur-oxide emissions.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned my opinion on global warming on CF, but it is basically that while global warming does exist, it has existed for thousands of years now, ever since the last ice age. It wasn't caused by humans back then, and today is almost no different. CO2 is not known to act as a "greenhouse gas", but it is in high concentration. The amount of anthropogenic (man-made) CO2 in the world is about 1-2%. The rest is from animals, natural events on Earth (like volcanoes), etc. The amount that CO2 affects global warming is even less than 1%. Several respected scientists claim that most of the global warming comes from water vapour in the atmosphere. The image below shows the concentrations:
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/PageMill_Images/image269.gif

I found a website that describes what I believe, and if you feel like reading it, it can be found here (http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html).

This thread wasn't meant to be so much a rant as much as to see peoples' opinions on global warming. Does it exist? Did we cause it? etc.

posted by  chris_knows

i have a feeling were gunna hear alot of ignorant crap come out of some people but i think the only thing we should be aware of is how bad we have screwed our own place to live, we have to stop being viruses and give a little back to the planet, it really aint that hard and it goes along way. i just want clean air to breath and water to drink., and that will certainly not last long

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize...but was it for his contributions to the awareness of Global Warming or for inventing the internet? :laughing:

posted by  97Talonchik

I thought it was because he killed manbearpig :laughing:...

posted by  chris_knows

I've never worried about Global Warming in the past. That could be ignorant on my part, but I have seen no significant changes so far (except maybe the climate change). I don't know, maybe it's because I need to educate myself about it more! :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

One of the best SouthPark episodes. :laughing:

http://www.morethings.com/fan/south_park/photo_gallery/al-gore-is-manbearpi g.jpg

posted by  97Talonchik

Yeah, one of the few good ones from Season 10.

posted by  chris_knows

GOOD call posting the water vapor bar graph! Makes you put things in perspective.:mrgreen:

posted by  MakeItRain

Global warming hasn't even reached a consensus among scientists, although that should not make a difference (Science isn't a consensus). But, even though humans HAVE polluted, and continue to do so, the hype surrounding Global Warming has been blown out of proportion even from the point of vie of the scientists making the claims (claims that counter the prevailing consensus 30 years ago of Global Cooling!):

Washington Post 1972:

"We simply cannot afford to gamble. We cannot risk inaction. The scientists who disagree are acting irresponsibly. The indications that our climate can soon change for the worse are too strong to be reasonably ignored."

Sound familliar?

They were talking about global cooling

Like it or not, Global Climate Change is real and happens. It is also conceivable and verifiable that human creations can have some effect on that climate change. The problem is in identifying that climate change and what humans can actually do about it. And who in fact SHOULD be responsible for the world doing something about it and who should bear the costs.

The other problem is that POSSIBLE risks, rather than concrete proof, are all that's needed to make bad policy.

We are NOT 'stewards of this planet'. It's the other way around; the Earth is our steward and it couldn't care less whether or not we exist. We are a cosmic accident. The Earth will eventually shrug its shoulders (metaphorically) and we will be gone just like the dinosaurs. Poof. After, oh, a thousand years or so all our great works will be gone.

Does this mean we should pollute like crazy, because the end is coming anyway? Of course not. I don't want dirty water or air any more than the average Sierra Clubber. It means only we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously.

Much of the CO2 global warming "evidence" is computer models. There was an interesting show on Discovery the other night with many of the world's top physicists discussing 11 dimensions, string theory, the big bang, etc. One of the physicists said that he didn't care a bit about anyone's computer model, because you can tweak them around until they tell you whatever you want to hear and have no basis in the actual universe. I'm pretty heavy into computers, and I agree completely. Add that in with the money trail of research and what you get is people with a lot of money financing research that shows what they want to hear. In this case, (following the money) we have this: Rich bastards buy some politicians and "greens". They pay for some research to show that CO2 from the US is the cause of the latest disaster and will doom the planet. They set up a CO2 coupon exchange system that they tout as the savior of the planet, all they while sucking off more money from you and me and going back to the rich bastards as a return on their investment.

Here's one: Next after CO2 is done with, we will all be running on hydrogen fuel cells. You know what the primary waste output of hydrogen fuel cells is? (I know you do, it's a rhetorical question.) Water vapor. Oh, oh, water vapor is the primary green house gas. Shock, we'll have to have water vapor coupons to sell on a newly created water vapor exchange (sponsored by Morgan Stanley) and pay for that.

An interesting link to the debate on global warming:

http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/prometheus/archives/climate_change/001030 so_what_happened_at_.html

The planet is always either cooling or warming. Always.

The issue is whether we should piss ourselves over it and enact all sorts of bad laws to combat something over which we have little control or interest in counteracting.

Do some research on the Medieval Warm Period, or the Little Ice Age.

posted by  ChrisV

That's my view exactly and always has been. Now that's fact and is 100% correct.:clap:

posted by  67Coronet383

ChrisV, I forgot that hydrogen cars produced water vapour...Would that have a noticeable effect on the climate or is global warming just a heat "wave" that will last as long as global cooling?

posted by  chris_knows

The earth is always either warming up or cooling down. It happens in cycles. Very slow cycles.

posted by  67Coronet383

Oh, right. I forgot that part lol.

posted by  chris_knows

True that....Al Gore it an Idiot!

posted by  MakeItRain

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/global_warming.png

lol!

posted by  ChrisV

yes researchers have discovered why the ice caps were melting...it was once thought that increasing CO2 levels were the cause by global warming...but this photo has been taken proving without a doubt that polar bears having too many BBQs was the real reason the ice caps were melting...
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bgmark_quik/bear1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pZi7CXE2ac

posted by  markb777

I've never seen a polar bear get drunk, but I'm sure I would if someone asked for money :laughing:.

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message