Blown f*ckin headgasket

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Blown f*ckin headgasket

Well ol black beauty took a beating and now i believe she has a blown/cracked headgasket...theres steam (white smoke w/e) comin out with water out of the tailpipe and she feels like shes runnin on 2 cylinders...so now i have to scrape up bout 750-1000 to get it fixed, i might do it myself but i don't have a lot of extra time on my hands because of two jobs..so thats whats new, just thought i'd inform ya'll and if ya got any tips or help that would be great, thanks.

posted by  99integra

Can't really offer any help, but if you can, fix it yourself...Gaskets alone aren't that expensive, just the installation.

posted by  chris_knows

its not really that bad of a job. i say tackle it yourself.:thumbs:

posted by  glagon1979

This is what I don't get. You can take it as a tip or ignore it... I don't give a damn.

So it appears as though you have a blown head gasket. Life sucks. But now you're here complaining about how much it'll cost to fix. The parts and machine work to do it right would cost you about $150 over the counter. That means that by your own numbers there's about $600-$850 left on the table. How many hours do you have to work at your near minimum wage jobs to make that kind of money? My guess is somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150. Would you rather work that many hours to pay someone else to do the job, or use maybe 10% as much time fixing it yourself?

As the old saying goes, a penny saved is a penny earned. Even if you have to take some time off work, you can fix your truck AND put $500+ in your pocket with just a little effort.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks Hobo, my grandpa said he would help me because lets face it I got a month till I need to get it fixed and I'd rather put that extra money in my bank for future repairs or any costs.

posted by  99integra

Too true, most of the millionare types I'm friendly with, know the value of a dollar and they won't give it to you unless they get ten dollars worth in return.

I encourage the young blokes I mentor to roll some of the savings they make, by doing their own running repairs, into tools and equipment.

posted by  Wally

Good job. If I can be of any assistance (long distance), let me know.

posted by  vwhobo

Is there a certain timeline that he should get this done in? I hear that mixing coolant and oil creates an acid that corrodes through the bearings.

Is this a true case on his vehicle?

posted by  Godlaus

Hey Hobo what kind of transmission does his reanger have, by any chance are the t.v pressures in the valve body controlled by a vacuum modulaotr? my 89 stang did but it was an A4OD right? Steven are you 100% sure you have a head gasket leak or is that what everyone thought when it started blowin white smoke

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Good point. Ideally he should dump the coolant and oil ASAP because any coolant left inside the engine, whether in the cylinders or crankcase, will in fact cause corrosion and begin deteriorating the cylinder walls, bearings and bearing journals. That being said, I've seen engines sit filled with coolant for years that have been drained, oil changed and run fine. I personally prefer to err on the side of safety.

Another good point. To the best of my recollection, Steven has the M5OD manual trans which obviously doesn't have a vacuum modulator, so I don't think that's a player. And just for reference, an automatic trans '93 Ranger would have an A4LD.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok I will do that and then have someone pick it up with the free towing AARP package we all have. Honestly I want to drive this truck for a while till I can save up for an 03 Altima (dime a dozen), so I want to have no more repairs except for general maintenance because of corroded/deteriorated cylinders etc.. Whats the best way to drain the coolant? (simple question I know).

And my family wants me to take it to a mechanic (Coreys Ohio Auto) because they don't want to have to help me with the valves or the proper torquing (sp? if its even a word) of the bolts so for an early birthday present I'm gettin like 200 to pitch in for it to be fixed properly. I'd rather take a stab at it myself with my trusty Haynes but no one is willing to agree to it and since I'm gonna be 16 in a couple weeks I have to abide by it. :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

Wait a sec, my coolant level is fine but I didn't check the oil :doh: it needs at least 2 quarts so that might be the problem, also could be bad gas?

posted by  99integra

was the oil "milky"? tell tale sign would be oil looking like chocolate milk.

posted by  glagon1979

oh crap, :mrgreen: Thanks hobo i forgot he had a standard, of course it doesnt have a vacuum modulator. maybe you dont even have a head gasket problem stecen, this is where proper diagnostics could save you a whack of cash

Ok its not a blown headgasket it was just A LOT of condensation in the muffler....:doh:

posted by  99integra

I think you owe Banf a bottle of wine.

posted by  Wally

Because of the blown head gasket? lol jp

posted by  chris_knows

Him and hobo :laughing: :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Being a well travelled member Hobo will probably only enjoy something like a Penfolds Grange Hermitage, whereas Banf is Canadian so any old fortified red from California should suffice.:mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

Why thank you wally :laughing:

posted by  99integra

If it's all the same to everyone involved, I prefer a nice cheap American beer... Busch Light. Ice cold please. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

Good man good man, I would mail ya one if I knew where ya lived, but thanks for the help Hobo even though I did a horrible diagnoses of it myself, I'm just glad its not a gasket or somethin :doh:

posted by  99integra

yeah im a little more redneck than wine, a cheap beer will suffice. hobo gets the props though:clap:

yeah i get the "IS my car supposed to leak water from here" at least 4 or 5 times a month. it happens

I was under the impression that even oil alone left sitting in an engine for a prolonged period of time can become corrosive.

posted by  Zalight

Your Message