Jcutsh

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Jcutsh

I gave some thought to your patriotic rant in the Presidential thread and thought you might enjoy one of our local vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvjIWheGa0

posted by  Wally

Now that is funny. I love Aussies.

It is an honor to find out one's words caused reflection in another person. I could only hope that my little rant was that humorous.

You never did tell me if Sonnabend, meant anything.

posted by  jcutsh

as in Voice of the Pacific?

posted by  Wally

I don't know. It was just a term, Me mates in Nam used over and over. It appeared to be some sort of inside joke and I was never let in on it. Not sure of that spelling.

Who is the guy in the video? Can I get an absentee ballot? lol

How are those cane toads working out for ya?

posted by  jcutsh

Nothing comes to mind, but it may be the way you are spelling it. We have a habit of rolling multiple words into one e.g didgyahaveagoodweekend.

The clip is from a Lamb marketing campaign. Sam is an ex Australian Footballer who started doing the grumpy old man spoof on a local show. His politically incorrect statements struck a chord, that mirrors Australian's habit of telling it as it is, regardless of whether it offends.:wink2:

"me mates" tells me you sure did mix with Aussies

posted by  Wally

Are you sure there's an aitch in there

Calling a spade a bloody shovel as it were.

posted by  windsonian

No there isn't supposed to be an aitch (haitch if you're low life Irish Mick educated), but I thought it might be prudent on this ocassion. :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

Great habit.

Ah, mate me dinky-di is not what it was, but we use to barrack for the old aerial ping-pong while enjoying the amber fluid and a few snags. The wosers always made sure I had me franga when we went walk about to blow me dough and hunt for brush pigs.

Ah. I am afraid the mist of time has scuttled my memory. But I use to be pretty good.

I was happy as larry with those mates. And I know you only put shrimp on the barbie for tourists. lol

posted by  jcutsh

bloody oath mate.

posted by  windsonian

That "put another shrimp on the barbie" was supposed to be a snag on the barbie, but they figured the US peoples wouldn't know what a snag was.

You know sonno (pronounced sunno), is a slang greeting to a bloke?

posted by  Wally

From distant climes, o'er wide-spread seas we come,
Though not with much eclat or beat of drum;
True patriots all; for be it understood
We left our country for our country's good.
No private views disgraced our generous zeal,
What urged our travels was our country's weal.

I heard this little verse a thousand times, right after filling our boots together.
It was their motto. Funny the things you hang to in time of war.
I never forgot it, but it was years later before I really understood it.

Thanks Windsonian. Being called a mate is an honor, indeed.

posted by  jcutsh

sometimes even an honour :mrgreen:

posted by  windsonian

We don't put shrimp on the barbie either. They could always show a sausage in the commercial. We learn pretty quick over here.

Still don't know why they called me sonnabend.

posted by  jcutsh

If you and the Brits ever get together and master spelling, you will rule the world. :mrgreen:

posted by  jcutsh

We already do. Whatever our Prime Minister says, Bush does.:mrgreen:

On another note, Anzac day is coming up (25 April) so there will be a fair few Viet Vets marching with the old diggers. Should be a few Americans in there. They're also holding a dawn service at Gallipoli, Turkey. The services and marches in just about every town in Oz on the day aren't for victory, but to remember the poor sods who died in battle and the terrible waste.

posted by  Wally

and Tony Blair follows:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

You guys are picking on all my hero's now. :evil:

I have been in battle. I can't even imagine what those young men at Gallipoli went through, To be ordered to your death due to the incompetence of your leaders just astounds me. Walking your men into heavy fire seems to be a tactic used by the British, for hundreds of years. It cost them America. It gave them heavy losses in WW1. Australia learned a hard lesson that day, and it changed their whole concept of battle tactics from that point on.

I can assure you the blokes who fought with me no longer have that British trait. I hid behind every rock and clod I could find, and they were right there with me.

posted by  jcutsh

Is it possible to make fun of this, even being slurm? Nah It's Just too damn funny. Rock on Aussies rock on!

posted by  cliffyigotacar

i respect people like that, i have family in the military (one in iraq right now)
but both grandads of mine fought in WWII (both on different sides, did anyone read Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose? my german grandad is mentioned in it, he was a paratrooper sergeant, if you had read it, his name is Heinrich Heinz Hickman, a sergeant in the German 6th Independent Parachute Regiment!), alot of my family are or were in the forces!
http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/0671671561-excerpt.asp

posted by  True_Brit

true_brit
You owe me an email.

posted by  jcutsh

yes i do!:thumbs: you just wait please!

posted by  True_Brit

Your Message