Work Smart, not Hard

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Work Smart, not Hard

Been doing the traps, but an ideal excuse for those without a work ethic.

here (http://michaelsync.net/2007/02/08/fw-slow-down-culture/)

posted by  Wally

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YYgtUvgYi8U

posted by  newyorker

It's an interesting idea, and I support it, but I don't see how working less gets more done lol...

:orglaugh: at the vid.

posted by  chris_knows

1. First I have to say that I have never seen any statistics to back up the writer's assertion that the workforce in France, Germany or England is more productive per hour, or any other way, than that of the US.

2. That being said, slowing down is almost always a sure way to be more productive. Slowing down doesn't mean kicking back with a beer and a ham sandwich and not doing your job. It means taking the time to set your goal, figure out a game plan and then going about your business in the most efficient way possible. Example?

In the past I've always made it a point to visit my shops on a regular (daily, or close to it) basis. One of the hardest things in this business is keeping the newer techs from getting too big headed and working too fast. They make more mistakes which in the long run slows them down.

In the event that a point needs to be proven I'll first bait them into shooting off at the mouth about how fast they work, which always seems to be faster than an old timer like me. Now they have to put up or shut up. So the service manager will make it a point to schedule similar jobs on similar cars for the same day at the same time. Newbie will get one and I'll get the other. He even gets to pick.

I'm here to tell you they're assholes and elbows. They work so fast trying to prevail that I get tired just watching them. I pick my nose, scratch my ass and get to work. Slowly (relatively speaking), methodically, making every movement count. I'll stop and drink a soda. Maybe scratch my ass again. Guess who always has the job completed (including test drive and paperwork) first? That's right. Lesson taught if they chose to learn it. If not, they get the opportunity to work fast somewhere else.

Just like the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race. Got it now?

posted by  vwhobo

Gotcha...Still work hard, but make sure you do it right.

posted by  chris_knows

I don't have time to read that :mrgreen:

posted by  windsonian

Well then you need to look at a succession plan, making sure there are people adequately trained to do your tasks should you be run over by a bus.

I recommend the liberal use of meta language in your meetings that coalesce into the current criteria of demonstrating how smart you are... e.g. "framework", "nexus", "outputs". You can also intersperse some of the previous smart words/phrases like "post modernism", "proactive", "synergy", "KPI" etc., but be careful because nobody likes a showoff.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

Your Message