Accents...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Accents...

Who does not have an accent from the countries listed above?

I think I got 'em all, if not, add yours in.

posted by  chris_knows

im pretty sure everybody is just gonna vote for their country lol

I really have no newfoundlander accent, but im sure id sound pretty different than most people here

posted by  nighthawk

the brits have no accent, unless they are from liverpool, newcastle-upon-tyne, cardiff, edinburgh and birmingham!:laughing:
i for one, have a little bit of a base cambridge/london english accent!

posted by  True_Brit

bloody toff:laughing:

posted by  windsonian

i cant think of anything but oz to call you!:laughing: :wink2:

posted by  True_Brit

It's a funny thing about accents, they always belong to someone else. I was brought up with my Ayreshire raised Scottish grandfather and he sounded pretty normal to me even though others had a hard time interpreting his hoots, toots and ach ayes.

I've noticed there are some fairly smooth US/Canadian accents, but there is one that really irks me when uttered by the young females on tv interviews... my guess is it's West Coast, but it has an over emphasis on the already emphasised guttural "R" and the voice is loud enough to reverse the Humboldt Current with severe consequences to El Nino.

Poms are gradually getting a Neighbours accent, so won't be long before they sound like us.

Kiwis are South Pacific Poms and have managed to mangle the Scottish vowels with Australian pronunciation. They are only good as a wind break from the Antarctic breezes.

The true Irish accent sounds fairly good, for about 5 minutes then you wish they would just stop the charade.

And that nasal "strine" accent Australians like to put on when overseas should be bottled and sold as embarassment aerosol.

Worst accent ever = Dr House :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

He does it well for a pom though.

posted by  windsonian

Whenever I travel I get made fun of for saying "wicked" a lot. Not really an accent, but it's in the ballpark.

posted by  giant016

wicked :orglaugh: (why?)

posted by  True_Brit

Doesn't everyone have an accent? It's like a fingerprint, unique to the area...in a sense.

posted by  97Talonchik

thats one way of putting it!

posted by  True_Brit

i think that was the whole premise of the thread

posted by  windsonian

Wicked's like Sweet, Awesome, etc. here lol...At least it does here lol.

You'd say like mad in the context that Giant was referring to lol.

posted by  chris_knows

My experience shows that Canada actually has several accents. I myself have a country(Saskatchewan) accent, as noted by several people. It really is unique to us, just like bunnyhugs are.

posted by  dodgerforlife

It's used in place of really.

It's wicked hot out.

I always thought it was normal to say, but I guess it's primarily a New England thing, especially Boston.

posted by  giant016

Even I know "wicked" was the hip happenin' word about 10 years ago.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

I agree. Not because I'm a Brit, but because that's the sort of 'English' we think of when talking about the English language. I don't know, I suppose I understand that everybody has an accent, just some more so than others. I also think it depends on the place you are from in the UK as you said, Jamie. I have the toned down London type accent, too...Home Counties I guess. I hate it when us Brits are played on TV programmes by US actors, they always use the stereotypical 'posh' accent....like Mr.Grant....:laughing: :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

..or the cockney villain:ohcrap:

posted by  fudge

Yes, although I think that's often dilliberate and used by true Brits, lol....(Excuse the pun, Jamie, lol)

posted by  Cliffy

i think i made myself unclear???:ohcrap:
i know what "wicked" means, i just asked why people make fun at him saying "wicked", im used to the word, as its mostly used with the surf culture here in Devon and Cornwall!
i dont mind the pun cliffy:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

I guess it's not so common in some places.

Also, what do you guys eat?:
Hoagies, subs, grinders, hereos, or something else crazy?

posted by  giant016

we have Subway here, so i guess its subs :laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

no accent? midwest US FTW!

posted by  dodger65

It aint a sub it's called a POBOY!!!!!!

posted by  SyntheticTrust

Well then why is there a poll? Maybe I'm just confusing myself. I'm ready for the long weekend. BTW...I like my accent...ya'll hear that?:mrgreen:

posted by  97Talonchik

synthetictrust made a comment ... "accent? who? me?" or similar, so then a facetious poll was started "who doesn't have accents?"

.... or so goes my understanding of this thread.

posted by  windsonian

I guess there were two reasons for this thread...A kinda census and to see which country invented Engish and who copied it :laughing:.

posted by  chris_knows

Yes, I saw that in the random thread. I guess when thinking of it like that, it makes more sense. I guess I was taking it too literally. It happens...you know, overanalyze. Blah. I'm going to bed.

posted by  97Talonchik

We copied it....from the you lot :laughing: :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

If everybody believes something is true, then doesn't that mean it is true? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message