New hood

Home  \  Off Topic  \  New hood

Unlike Penske and Donohue I cannot acid dip my trucks parts.:laughing: So my question is, would it be worth the time and money to put a lighter hood on compared to the stock one that is heavier that me?

posted by  99integra

maybe you need to gain weight so you're heavier than your hood...:2cents:

posted by  dodger65

only if it would be something that helped the look of the truck, otherwise, leave it alone.

posted by  glagon1979

I saw this thread and thought it was about your gang for a second there, Teggs! lol....:joking: :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

It's a functional cowl induction steel hood

posted by  99integra

No it's not. It's a cowl induction style hood. It doesn't become "fuctional" until you've modified your engine so the air intake is sealed to the bottom of the hood correctly. More importantly, cowl induction does little or nothing to increase power until you've attained a speed near 100 mph in most cases. What it is is a 17 year old being sold a load of bullsh*t again. Besides, a steel cowl induction hood won't be much if any lighter than a stock hood. You can save more weight by getting rid of your amp and sub box than by switching hoods.

http://carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/175971_small+1967_Pontiac_Tempest+engi ne_bay_view.jpg

That is a real functional cowl induction set-up, albeit not on a Ranger. It takes more than just a hood.

posted by  vwhobo

Damnit, you beat me to it.

If you're going to try and make it lighter, go with a fiberglass hood with some functional scoops and just run your intake into that. Granted, most fiberglass hoods still have a steel frame underneath, but it's lighter than having the whole hood metal.

So really what you have to ask yourself is do you just want style or performance (which is why you'd buy a lighter hood in the first place unless you think you will be able to get better gas milage, in which case I laugh at you.). If you want performance, you might as well spend money to get an exhaust system first, then buy the hood that has functional scoops and modify your intake system to hook up to the hood. You won't gain much if any performance from just the intake and hood alone, because all the extra air going in will add extra exhaust restriction coming out.

If you only want style on the other hand, why worry about if it's functional or not. Find a style that you like, and go with that.

posted by  Satty101

we're still talking about a 4 cylinder ranger here, aren't we?

posted by  dodger65

I wouldn't do it, I'm guessing by the time you buy/ship the hood, then have it prepped and painted, you're looking at a large bill and you only lost a few lbs. If we're talking about a Ranger, I'm betting relocating your battery to your truckbed would yeild better results and would cost a lot less. Or just go on a diet.

posted by  giant016

Have you seen him? The battery probably weighs more than him (but I'm not in a position to talk) :laughing:.

posted by  chris_knows

Haven't seen him, but I get a kick out of all the guys who weigh over 300lbs, but have their cars completely gutted.

posted by  giant016

Just put some speed holes in and you're done...

posted by  Mathew

Unfortunately. :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  67Coronet383

:ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

Your Message