Experiance Level

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Experiance Level

Just wondering, How much experience have some of you had with cars?

EDIT: And what's the biggest thing you've done with a car.

I've been at it since I was 8 doing brakes with my grandpa.
I've done everything there is to do with a car from rebuilds to restorations

posted by  DodgeRida67

I doubt you've rebuilt MBZ diesel fuel injectors and pump...?

posted by  BavarianWheels

hehe, I never said I was a diesel machanic :ohcrap:

posted by  DodgeRida67

maybe you should concentrate on your spelling instead of wasting time on this thread. :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

Damnit :ohcrap:

posted by  DodgeRida67

whatever, just so long as you admit your shortcomings.

to answer your question i've been absorbed in cars (and motorcycles) essentially since birth - my dad's a car nut. so i've been to many, many car shows of his and worked there. most recently we've (my brother, my friend Sarp, and I) have manned the Golf Carts to help around the show field. wow, this is getting really OT. i'll stop now.. :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

Most people don't :wink2:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I have done, or can do, most mechanical repair/replacement work on petrol or diesel cars/vans. I worked for a large garage chain for about three or so years, although my interest in cars started from a very young age..I also have some experience working on PCV's (Public Service Vehicles, or busses lol) as a fitter. I guess I take after my dad, I've only met him for the first time a year ago and I can safely say it's him who I received my love of cars from. He has restored a few British cars and loves Alfa Romeo (that's the only difference in oppinion we have lol)

posted by  Cliffy

To copy and paste from my intro...

I've been playing with real cars for the last 25+ years (before that, I was building models and drawing/reading about them). I've been building customs, show cars, race cars, street rods, etc. I've owned over a hundred cars, from most major manufacuters (and a few minor ones...). I had a shop for many years, and built hundreds of customs and race cars, as well as doing crash repair on sports cars.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/porsche1.htm

I've been autocrossing for a couple decades, as well as doing driver instruction in SCCA and BSCC. I've crewed on a few road race teams, including an IMSA RS Mazda RX3 team that also campaigned a rotary powered Formula Libre. I've helped build a few national championship winning SCCA autocrossers and road racers (like Greg Fordahl's national championship winning Porsche 914s and Porsche GT3s). I've driven hundreds of different cars on the track, from cheap basic cars to Porsches, Ferraris, and a couple Lotus' (from an old Elan to a newer Esprit V8).

The largest single type of car I've owned is custom air cooled VWs (over 30 of 'em), but I've had everything from big block Chevelles to rotary powered autocross cars.

My last, most famous car on the internet was my V8 powered RX7.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

My current collection includes the family car: a 2002 5 speed touring edition PT Cruiser that my wife and I autocrossed for a season (netting third place for the season in H Stock). I also have 2 '86 Jaguar XJ6 Series III (you have to have two in order to keep one running...), an '81 Fiat 124 Spider I'm driving right now (and finishing up the restoration on: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/fiat_spyder.htm ).

I've built cars from the ground up, rebuilt destroyed cars, and more. I hate doing straight mechanical fault diagnosis, however.

posted by  ChrisV

Wow ChrisV that's very intresting :clap:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I haven't reallt done much or know much about the mechanical asspects of cars, I just have an obbsession with them. The biggest thing I think I've done to a car was help my friend re-build his carb.well, there's that and the fact I have changed the oil on about 3-4 cars and so on...

on a scale of 1-10, I'd say somewhere like a 1.5993937495739479038494 :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

I have a 87 Alfa Romeo that I love! I am in the middle of having it restored, I live in mass. and need to find a mechanic to help finish the project ...thanks

m.valletta   11 Aug 2012 14:29

Your Message