Tick tock, tick tock

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Tick tock, tick tock

Can anyone explain to me why the forum time is faster than real time? It's been a few minutes off for a while but now it seems to be 12 or so minutes fast. Please explain to a computer dummy how this happens. Thanks.

posted by  vwhobo

I assume you are referring to the time at the top left of the screen where it says "You last visited"? I can't see another time, and that time appears to update whenever I logout and then log back in again...I think....

Edit: Call me stupid now, lol. I can now see what you mean. It's the same for me too (looking under new posts etc). I really can't explain why.

posted by  Cliffy

Okay, you're stupid now.

So if you can't answer the first question, then tell me this. Why is it that a 16 ounce can of charcoal lighter fluid is made so you can only get 15.5 ounces of fluid out of it without punching a hole in the can? Enquiring minds want to know.

posted by  vwhobo

I'm gonna say they want you to punch a hole in it so you can drink it faster :laughing:

About the clock. Virtually no clock can keep exact time and over time (every 6 months or so) it has to be adjusted. I think this one's off because UFF has to update the time, and over the amount of time that he hasn't, it's been creeping off.

posted by  chris_knows

My watch can keep perfect time....Apparently it uses GPS to keep it that way (the company supplied it so all the trains run on time, lol). I always assumed CFs time was the same system like what's on the PC screen (always right time and puts itself back and forward as is necessary). I know CF's clock adjusts to daylight savings etc, so I also assumed the 'minutes' would correct themselves too?

posted by  Cliffy

Computers update their time from a website daily. I don't know if CF does though. So do your trains always run on time? lol

posted by  chris_knows

I always though a computer's time was kept in a much more complicated way, lol. And no, our trains don't always run on time....well, they're on time about 94.8% of the time which aint bad, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

Mussolini was able to make the trains in Italy run on time...What's he been up to lately? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

The time you see on the forums is based off the server's time clock. If it's a windows based server, it will usually attempt to update the time once a week (though, not always successfully). On linux based servers, that option isn't generally enabled by default and time is set manually. Or it could be set manually (windows/linux) and Adam hasn't checked the server's time in a while. I think he said he ran it all at his house at one point. My own server seems to lose time frequently, but its running older hardware..:2cents:

posted by  Bubba

someone forgot to turn the flux capacitor on.

posted by  GreekWarrior

The time displayed comes directly from the server's time that the PHP's parser runs through. So, if the time is off, it's the server's fault.

posted by  67Coronet383

Thank you for the replies. You've pretty much confirmed what I expected. I guess I just don't understand why my PC can have the time update daily (hourly if I want) but what I assume to be a big, expensive, high tech server doesn't. It seems so simple there shouldn't be any reason not to.

Thanks again.

posted by  vwhobo

I believe CF is run on an Apache server...Does that update it's time?

posted by  chris_knows

I have an old school watch my dad gave me and It hasnt been adjusted in a long time, I dont ever use it so I dont change it even for dail light savings time. It is off exactly one hour from what my comp and phone say, Im guessing its because of time change.

Ill have to see what kind it is, when I get home.

posted by  Enthusiast

Apache is the server software. It runs on multiple platforms, so it just depends on what its running on, windows, linux, etc.

posted by  Bubba

Ohh, gotcha :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

The windows one is a bit crappy.... I think it starts checking every 15 mins or so, but then if the time is pretty good, it automatically spreads further and further out until i think it then keeps updating once a week only.
As far as i'm aware, the only way to change it to keep it more regular is to manually change a registry key to override the auto settings.

posted by  windsonian

This (http://www.chronosatomic.com/) is the program I use, taken off of download.com. It's small, unobtrusive, easy to use and free. Most importantly it keeps my time correct on the schedule I chose, as long as I have a live internet connection. If anyone knows of a better product for this purpose, I'd be happy to see it.

Now about that lighter fluid can... :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

yeah, that's fine..but the issue is that if the website server's time is off, then that's when you have the issues... keeping your time in check won't really help.

posted by  windsonian

Your Message