Holidays

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Holidays

I hope everyone is having a nice Christmas today as well as enjoying the other cultural holidays we celebrate this season.

Please be careful about drinking and driving - don't want to read some post on Off Topic about someone getting busted for DUI or telling us another member we know was killed while driving drunk.

Hope to see you soon

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Merry Christmas everyone. I don't think drinking and driving is as big a problem around Christmas as much as new year's though.

posted by  chris_knows

Seasons Greetings guys! Hope ya all are have a great time! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Yea man Il see u in a few weeks lol

Im not a Christmas person, but Im getting hammered for new years :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

I dislike the recent trend of abandoning "Christmas" in favor of "Happy Holidays."

This country's political correctness is so overbearing and ridiculous. It really sucks. :cussing:

posted by  3xBeam

While I agree that they are trying to please everyone because everyone has something to bitch about now (and its gay), it was rather annoying working Holidays, wearing my star of David out in the open, and having people tell me "Merry Christmas" like its the only holiday around

posted by  newyorker

Yes, it really sucks that not everyone celebrates Christmas. :banghead:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Yeah, but that's no reason to not allow people to celebrate Christmas and put up nativity scenes on public property.

posted by  chris_knows

Why can't people accept that Merry Christmas is basically wishing you well? If somebody told me Happy kwanza (sp?) I'd either just take it as somebody wishing me well, or perhaps inform them of my relgion but still be thankfull.

If somebody wants to say Happy Holidays great, but I don't like it when store workers are required to say it. I was at the local market buying some London Broil for my Christmas Jerky (cheap present that most males like) and the lady working the register caught me off guard with a Merry Christmas. Then I realized that I was caught off guard by it and realized how I'd come accustomed to store workers saying Happy Holidays.

posted by  giant016

Not sayin its wrong...just annoying when I am clearly jewish (see the big shiny star hangin on me) and people tell me Merry Christmas...

posted by  newyorker

Happy Holidays to everyone! Be safe... :)

posted by  -Ice-

Yeah, that's just ignorant lol.

posted by  chris_knows

I say Merry Christmas to all my colleagues, even though I know some of them don't celebrate it. I even give out Christmas cards...It's through habit with me though, and I'm sure if I didn't say it, people would wonder why.

posted by  Cliffy

What are you talking about? He said he is unhappy with people saying happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas. When did the idea of not allowing people to celebrate Christmas come up?

Well...because it's basically not. Christmas is a religious holiday that has become pretty much national in America. If I'm not Christian, don't believe in Christ, etc, etc then why should I celebrate it?

While that's great, some people are not like that. If someone told me Merry Christmas (quite common), I usually just say thank you and keep moving just because I don't really care. However, I do respect other's opinions of caring.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Christmas is actually a Catholic holiday last I remember

posted by  newyorker

christian... catholic is a denomination, not a religion.

and as a simple solution, why not respond to "merry christmas" with "happy hannukah", or whatever else is appropriate?

posted by  windsonian

Because the people telling me merry christmas arent jewish..they are ignorant catholic/christian people that dont realize there are other religions out there...next time someone tells me merry christmas Im just going to pretend I dont know what they are talking about...something along the lines of

them "merry christmas"

me "im sorry, what"

them "merry christmas"

me "ive never heard of him"

That should certainly get some blood boiling for these ignorant/uninformed/crazy asses.

posted by  newyorker

do you know they're catholic?

and if the only reason they're ignorant is because they're saying merry xmas to you, then surely you're saying merry christmas to them?.... otherwise you'd be ignorant.... or un-festive.

.... and i'm sure that'd get my blood boiling :roll:

posted by  windsonian

I tell people happy holidays because i dont know what they celebrate..these people are ignorant to the fact that christmas isnt the only holiday

posted by  newyorker

so are they catholic or not?

posted by  windsonian

who..i have no magic wand that tells me what religion people are so I say happy holidays because it wishes well to everyone..if I KNOW someone is of a certain religion, I wish them accordingly

posted by  newyorker

then surely it is ignorant to say "are ignorant catholic/christian people" ..... when in fact they may or may not be. If I were catholic, I wouldn't want to be generalised so.

posted by  windsonian

Yes but only christian/catholic/crazy people find the need to be ignorant to everyone else..other people say happy holidays, there ignoramuses say merry christmas (not all of course)

posted by  newyorker

My bad...I heard something on the radio earlier that day about that, and it just came out lol.Alright, tell us how that goes...A YEAR FROM NOW lol.Yes, but other Christians argue for "happy holidays". If someone says "Happy Hanukkah" to me, I'd reply with a "Happy Hanukkah to you too". It's about courtesy and wishing them well, not a gang sign.

BTW Christianity involves Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox.

Here's a diagram of how the religions split from just one to a butt-load:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/ChristianityBranches.svg

posted by  chris_knows

its just annoying when i am clearly wearing my jewish symbol. its like me coming up to someone wearing a cross and wishing them a happy hanukah...:banghead: its kinda like "hey i can clearly see your religion but i have a different faith so im going to try to push my beliefs on you whether you like it or not!"

posted by  newyorker

I don't think they're really pushing their beliefs, but they are being ignorant...Also, how many people wished you "Merry Christmas", as opposed to "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah"?

posted by  chris_knows

this year?? 8 out of every 10

posted by  newyorker

To assume that everybody celebrates the holidays is pretty ignorant.

See where I'm going with this?

posted by  giant016

Lol...That's pretty bad.

posted by  chris_knows

I see where you are going, but saying Happy Holidays would congratulate all that celebrate, not just a certain religious group..

posted by  newyorker

I think it's pretty ignorant to say Christmas is a Catholic celebration....Not all Christians are Catholic. I believe ChrisK touched on this earlier. I will say Merry Christmas for years to come, as it's what I celebrate. I'm not going to say Merry anything else beacuse first and foremost I'm ignorant and don't really know who celebrates what, and secondly I'd received a few funny looks I'm sure. How about we knock this one on the head.

posted by  Cliffy

But saying Happy Holidays to someone that doesn't celebrate anything (such as JW's) may offend them.

posted by  thefonz

In that case we should all sit quietly and celebrate amongst ourselves

posted by  newyorker

Seems to be the only way to stop people from bitching.

posted by  thefonz

:thumbs: It didnt bother me as much until I worked one holiday season at walgreens. Lady comes up, I bag her stuff, and she tells me "merry christmas" (meantime im wearing my star cause it was still currently my holiday), so I try to be nice and tell her "happy holidays" she comes back at me with a retarded look on her face and tells me "merry christmas". I tell her "maam I dont celebrate christmas" and she comes at me with a "oh, well maybe this year you should"

like wtf :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

:orglaugh::orglaugh:

...Then again, the customer is always right.

posted by  chris_knows

if it wasnt for that policy, and many others I would have slammed her in the head with a snow shovel

posted by  newyorker

The fact is that saying "happy holidays" leaves some poeple excluded, just like saying "merry christmas" leaves some excluded. If you want to say it's ignorant to assume all are Christians, then it's ignorant to assume that all believe in God.

posted by  giant016

I hope you are having fun arguing with NewYorker. You know what they say, right? Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

In no way saying happy holidays are you assuming that everyone believes in G-d. People that celebrate Kwanzaa, as one example, are not forced to believe in G-d. Last time I checked, Kwanzaa is still a holiday. Furthermore, happy holidays could mean enjoying the holiday season, regardless of whether or not you celebrate any, while Merry Christmas is a more specific allusion. Finally, even if some people don't celebrate any winter holidays (I honestly can't think of a group of people off the top of my head but I'm sure there are some) that leaves a lot less people excluded than Merry Christmas, a holiday celebrated by mostly only one religion.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Sorry im not as pompous as you and dont think as highly of myself as you do, nor is my ego inflated to the level yours is. Happy Holidays dipshit :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

I think by the people who don't celebrate, he means atheists. People with no religion have no religious holidays.

posted by  chris_knows

Not only did you miss the entire point to my post, but you can't even realize that your ego is way bigger than mine. Happy holidays to you too.

Putting the fact that you're speaking for the thoughts of someone else aside, we never said anything about religious holiday. Kwanzaa is a holiday and its celebrants can be as atheist as possible as the holiday contains no G-d. Hence, people that do not believe in G-d can still celebrate a holiday and can still enjoy hearing happy holidays.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

They could have a Godless holiday around the same time, but not Kwanzaa...Kwanzaa "celebrates African American unity and culture."

posted by  chris_knows

Close -- Christmas as we know as as known through most western Christian denominations (both Protestant and Roman Catholic) it is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Most religion scholars think the birth actually took place in late winter/early spring but celebrate on 12/25 due to changes in the calendar and church (primarily Roman Catholic)tradition before 1300 A.D. or somewhere thereabouts. Many Eastern Churches (some Greek and Russian Orthodox) celebrate at later dates in December/January time-frame.

As more and more folks of different faiths such as Islam or Jewish moved into the U.S., we begin to see other ideas about winter holidays such as Ramadan being the 9th month of the Islamic calendar and celebrating when the Quran was revealed or Hanukkah where the Jewish folks celebrate the rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem by Judas Maccabee in 165 BC after it was overrun by the Syrians many years eailier.

Is political correctness the right thing - I don't know but please accept my Merry Christmas as a wish for everyone regardless of background so sit back, reflect on their backgrounds, family traditions and find peace.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

but you just admitted you had no idea what they were!!

and Wesleyan, C of E (Anglican), Uniting, Baptist ..... etc etc etc ... there are plenty.

posted by  windsonian

Unfortunately, many very bloody wars took place over religion and the spiritual and emotional power / influence a religion has over its followers. Unfortunately, men tend to use this for personal financial and political gain thus much bloodshed occurs.

Examples of this from the 1300s-1500s include the inquisition (making sure folks in certain countries followed the Roman Catholic church upon fear of painful death by boiling, burning alive, etc.), the Protestant reformation in the 1500's, the fights over if the British Monarch would be Catholic or Protestant throughout the 1600's (many people lost heads over that one important issue since in later years, the British Monarch is the head of the Church of England or Anglican church), the witch hunts in Mass. during the 1600's - 1700's, Most modern conflict (including the U.S. War on Terror which is actually a war against several fundamentalist and based on their actions dangerous militant Islamics) are about a mixture of the strong emotional power of religion plus politics.

Most 16 - 20 yr olds have not studied enough religion and world history to understand much of this. I encourage, even for the technical types, to take some world history in college or high school or borrow some good world history and religion books from your public library and read them - You will figure out we as a large group of people and a society are morons - we keep doing the same stuff over and over because we don't learn from our past.

I hope we can be able to poke fun and enjoy each other despite our various backgrounds without starting our own mini war on religion.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Actually Chris was right, and I was wrong. I assumed that Kwanzaa celebrated something to do with God, guess I was wrong.

posted by  giant016

Your Message