Navigation Advice

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Navigation Advice

I know there was a discussion about this before but after searching for "GPS" and "navigation", nothing came up so I decided a new thread wouldn't hurt too much.

I think it's finally time to quit using mapquest and buy a navigation for quite a few reasons. I want something that is only for getting from place to place with all of the basic features. I don't need crazy bluetooth or wi-fi technology as well as some crazy FM receiving/I-POD connecting/radio playing/hooker ordering technology. Basically, I just need it to find service fairly quickly and rarely lose it as well as get me from anywhere to anywhere in the US accurately.

Price-wise, cheaper is better but I won't sacrifice quality for price. I'd like to keep it under $250 and under $200 if at all possible. After doing a little bit of research, I have arrived at the tomtom one and would buy something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOMTOM-GO-ONE-CAR-GPS-NAVIGATION-TOM-USA-CA-PR-BONUS_W0 QQitemZ140191666721QQihZ004QQcategoryZ116221QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

(Disclaimer: Not advertising, I am not affiliated with the auction in any way)

Does anybody have anything to say, good or bad, about that GPS and/or suggest anything else? Thank you very much in advance for your help.

EDIT to add: The XL is also a nice possibility, ie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOMTOM-GO-ONE-XL-CAR-GPS-NAVIGATION-TOM-USA-CA-BONUS_W0 QQitemZ140192996444QQihZ004QQcategoryZ116221QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

posted by  Nissan_Altima

The Tom-Tom One is awesome!! My daughter has one. We just used it to drive to Utah and it worked flawless!! It even knew the back roads out to a snowmobile company I thought for sure it wouldn't find. It mounts just about anywhere...but the best and easiest is on the windshield. I'm thinking of buying myself one just for the giggles. You can even download different voices to direct you to your destinations. It is pretty damn accurate too!! I'd say to within 10-20 ft.

I've not played with any of the other products of GPS navigation (other than manufacturer installed navs on Lexus and BMW) so I can't say the Tom-Tom is best...but it sure is nice at what it does so simply!

posted by  BavarianWheels

I generally find that these things are a waste of money..everyone that I know that has (had) one used it for a few days, and took it out...its good for truck drivers and such, but its a dumb idea for someone like me (and I am assuming you unless you started taking road trips every week). My uncle has one in his tuareg and its not even accurate when they came here the first time to visit they asked us for directions and said that the navigation is "huyna" (you know what that means).

Denis's mom has one, give him a call and see if she likes it or whatnot...this is assuming that hes even talking to anyone except ashley by now

A personal frustration..my friend has one, we went to new jersey, so this thing sent us on a 2.5 hour loop through farm country and **** knows what...at that point we were so confused as to where we were, we just followed it. THe trip back using mapquest directions took 40 minutes.

edit: personally I use google maps, and if I get lost, I have a thing called LiveSearch on my phone, which is basically a map, directions, traffic, city guide, etc.etc. on my phone that is included in my internet plan...its never steered me wrong.

edit2: (i keep forgetting shit)..tomtom is a good company, also check out meggalan (sp?), I hear they have good stuff. Personally for me, I dont need a map to show me where to go since I already know it..I know downtown almost 100%, and most of the surrounding areas around here, its easier for me to remember a few things or write them down than fiddle with a nav system

posted by  newyorker

Your Message