Back after a hicup...

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Back after a hicup...

Well my laptop finally gave up the ghost a few days ago, lol. Basically it kept blowing up the mains lead, so, I had to push the boat out and buy a new computer. I'll post pics when I have the camera set up and so on, but I'll explain a little bit about it now. It's a desktop, and has a 15.5" wide screen monitor that's shiny and it uses Windows Vista...I don't know much more about it, just that it's slightly more powerful than the laptop (1024MB....I assume that's power or memory or something?...anyway, the laptop only had 280MB standard, then a further 512MB that I had put in.). So yeah, that's why I haven't been here much recently...Hopefully I'll be back on form soon though. Oh, and we couldn't connect it wirelessly because the router wont work apparently (or so I was told by the nice tech guy in India....:wink2: :ohcrap:).

posted by  Cliffy

I think you need to take computer science 101 Cliff :laughing:

posted by  windsonian

Congrats!

So are you gonna stop being such a picture nazi now? lol JP

posted by  chris_knows

LOL....Apparently not (I've just edited one in the members' pics thread and another in a seperate thread....appologies to Mathew!). I'm assuming that's what you're talking about?

posted by  Cliffy

I hope you didn't spend more than $300 on that computer...

posted by  Mathew

Yeah, that's what I meant. I was gonna just post a huge pic instead of reply, but I wasn't sure if it would make sense lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Yes I did, lol.....regarding the pics, loading them wasn't an issue, but I like to see more on my screen than just ONE picture...like some boarders...or surrounds etc :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Jeez...post specs NOW.

posted by  Mathew

I'm no good with specs....Can you tell me how do I find them within the computer..I mean, can I look at them on the screen some how without having to look through a book?

posted by  Cliffy

Go start > run
type 'dxdiag' without quotations, then hit enter
press the save all information button
save the txt file
open the txt file, copy and paste it onto here...

posted by  Mathew

Thanks. Here it is...

posted by  Cliffy

Please include the "display devices" section also...

posted by  Mathew

Is this enough?

posted by  Cliffy

Thanks. I was just curious. I'm not a huge HP fan, or Dell or any prepackaged computer companies. You can build it yourself for sooooo much cheaper. Plus HP makes it nearly impossible to upgrade or modify without their support.

posted by  Mathew

I've never been a whiz with computers..I know the standard stuff about them, but not much of the technical stuff...All I know at present is that this one is MUCH faster than my last one! (bear in mind I still have to fill it with rubbish though, lol)

posted by  Cliffy

Yeah but HP has amazing tech support.

posted by  chris_knows

I've never used computer tech support in my life. Even when I didn't know much about computers, I was still always my own tech support :thumbs:

Wait....I did once, when I had a bad router. This foreign sounding woman was asking me questions that were really stupid, like "is it plugged in?" duh...then I noticed she was reading off a list from their website, so I told her she was wasting my time.

posted by  Mathew

I've called HP once because of my speakers. I've googled the problem, asked on many forums, and so on. I emailed HP and within 2 hours, they had replied with 5 separate methods to fix my computer--varying with taking out the battery up to some more complex things. Nothing fixed it, and I tried reinstalling my computer and had the same problem, but at least they were nice lol.

I've had problems when setting up my router once too, but when I was setting it up, I read the instructions on the manufacturer's website. I called them, and the guy told me how to fix it--with some attitude. I think I've only called tech support 2 or 3 times, and I can't recall one time it's been someone with an accent, although everyone around me complains that they have people with terrible English trying to help them.

posted by  chris_knows

Thats pretty funny.. Although I think that if anyone wants to maintain dictatorship of "pictures" then there should be a rule implicitly stating the size and regulation of pictures, avatars, signatures etc...

I view the internet on a 28" monitor at 1920x1200 (makes finding wallpaper a real pain in the a**). Someone might think of a 1024x768 image as big but it wouldn't take up more than 1/4th of my monitor.

This is generally why limits are set in place. I personally feel that I can drive on the 290 expressway at 120mph, but not everyone can. Thats why the limit is 55mph.

:2cents:

posted by  DSMer

I think it would be good to have them automatically resized, but obviously we need an admin to do that....I don't see a problem with linking to pics that are clearly on the large size..It doesn't hurt anyone, afterall! I will look in to having restrictions noted in the rules, but I don't think people will pay much attention, especially if like me, they don't know how the sizes vary, they just see them as small, mediam, large or massive, lol. Also, I host my photos using Photobucket, they are all resized to a sensible proportion....don't all hosting sites do this? (Or at least I think they do....the one below obviously looks larger than normal given the new monitor...:ohcrap: :laughing: )

Edit: Here's pic of it...it migt interest some people, lol.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/CliffWoods/SSA42774.jpg

posted by  Cliffy

Most modern day image hosting sites, such as photobucket, only allow you to store photos at a certain resolution and size.

posted by  DSMer

Yeah, but you have to check it off.

Cliffy, it looks good, but is that a picture of Bob the Builder on your aquarium? lol

posted by  chris_knows

lol...Yeah, well it's actually my 4-yr old Nephew dressed as Bob....:mrgreen:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message