Jeremy Beadle - R.I.P

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Jeremy Beadle - R.I.P

I told an American colleague this today and she didn't know who he was, so I'll link to the News site too. One of TV's top pranksters has died aged 59. I remember watching him on "You've been Framed" and "Watch out! Beadle's about" in the late eithies and early nineties. He had been in ill health for some years, having recently beaten cancer I believe. He passed away after a short battle with pneumonia. May he rest in piece.

Orbituary (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7217383.stm)

posted by  Cliffy

Ya...rip...but still never heard of the guy.

posted by  BavarianWheels

RIP, You've been framed wasn't the same since he left. Those shows really bring back my childhood.

posted by  fudge

Same here....Those were the days. It was Saturday evening at its best! :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

I wonder why more popular shows from overseas aren't brought over here. I've never heard of the guy or the show. Whoever owns the rights could get some $ from American stations and American stations could save some $ by not having to create a whole new series. It seems the shows that have been brought over here (although re-done) have been incredibly well- recieved such as American Idol, the Office, and the occasional showing of Top Gear:drool: .

posted by  giant016

Here's (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bnxMd5e-lM0&feature=related) an example of his work. It's funny, but we already have similar shows here.

I haven't heard of him before, but my thoughts go out to his family.

posted by  chris_knows

I don't get why they don't do that as it gives the US audience a good feel of how things are done overseas. When I was in America for 2 weeks I was literally starved from UK shows, however in the UK we have a generous helping of American shows. And the BBC was even kind enough to broadcast the Superbowl live tonight!!

I believe that our shows are just not as "glammed up" and wouldn't be accepted by the American broadcasters. Hopefully now with Youtube readily available that good tv doesn't have to be high budget or glamourous.

posted by  fudge

That's because on the whole, British humor (or humour) is not funny/comedy...it's just British humor.

Apparently American TV is funny/good and important enough.

Yeah, I guess it's not the so obvious I have to spell it to your face comedy that you're used to. But TV isn't all about comedy so you just can't blame it solely on British humour. It's proper funny however seeing some American stars on our shows completely not absorbing the british humour.

Its just generally well received to the point that we don't have to redo it ourselves. And when we redo it ourselves it's just goes pretty bad(ala Pimp My Ride UK). As for the Superbowl, most people here don't even know or care much at all about American Football - I believe they only showed it to promote their tour in London. I agree its important on the whole as most of the top actors and sportsmen are in the US.

posted by  fudge

It must be a kind of regional thing, because most Brits hate US comedy, lol...I for one can't stand 'Friends' or similar US comedy....It just isn't all that funny. Apart from the occasional thing that the writers have got right, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

"Friends"...is not a great example...I admit.

Yeah, Friends stinks, as do most sitcoms from any countries IMHO. I think it's mostly a chick show over here anyways. Do you guys get Seinfeld or Arrested Development? Those are actually pretty good.

posted by  giant016

We don't get them on terrestrial TV over here....but pretty much all your shows are available mto most people who have some form of digital TV package. As for our Sitcoms...ya can't beat a bit of Only Fools and Horses! :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message