Why Can't I Buy Fireworks?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Why Can't I Buy Fireworks?

I went out to get some fireworks (May 19 is some holiday where people use fireworks). It's some small stand outside of a grocery store, and I go up and grab some stink bombs (you don't have to be 18 to buy those). Then I look at the fireworks, and ask the guy what's good. He says "I'll have to I.D. you for those, though". I'm like, "Alright, my birthday's in 4 days, can I still get some." He tells me, "No, that doesn't work here."...What does that even mean? I asked if I could just grab something smaller, but he still didn't let me. So tomorrow, I have to drive all around to find some fireworks.

Question: Would you sell me fireworks if my birthday was in 4 days? I'd give me free fireworks because my birthday was coming up.

posted by  chris_knows

No, and no, I wouldn't.

Chances are, they've been busted before for selling to minors and got a stiff fine with a threat to have their license revoked, or they are truly law abiding citizens and fear a fine/getting their license revoked. Either way, they wouldn't sell them to you.

Grow the f.uck up Chris. Yes, your birthday might be in four days, but in the eyes of the law, you truly are still a minor. You could commit murder tomorrow as a minor but still be tried as an ADULT.

And if that's such a problem, ask your parents to buy you some fireworks. And if they won't even do that, then maybe you need to really ask yourself something...

"If my parents won't buy me fireworks, four days before I'm legal to buy them, am I really seen as responsible enough to have them in my possession?"

Anyone who is actually LEGAL has had to wait to become just that. We've all been screwed over by the 'system' in some way, shape, or form. Get used to it. Welcome to life, Chris. Your vote will mean sweet f.uck all in the grand scheme of things. Welcome to being a tax-paying 'statistic'.

posted by  dodgerforlife

The shop owners probably choose not to sell firework to minors not because they believe the minors are't responsible, but because it's the law. Would you jeopardize your business to sell $8 of bottlerockets to a pimplefaced brat? Just get somebody else tbuy for you. Or just wait untill your 18, that way you can get hammered and buy fireworks for the first time on the same day. Sounds safe.:thumbs:

posted by  giant016

Not like I'm gonna become more responsible in 4 days. My parents used to buy me fireworks actually. I'll just ask them to get me some fireworks when they go grocery shopping, though.

Just to tell you guys, you'd make terrible businessmen. I'd sell me the fireworks, possibly with a discount, because then next holiday, I'd get them from the same place.

BTW Giant, it was also roman candles and cherry bombs lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Wrong. We'd make better and smarter businessmen, because we wouldn't have some lame mystery shopper coming in, being allowed to buy products they shouldn't, and being hit with stiff fines, or having business licenses taken away. And as Giant said, the few bucks in profit that you get year to year from one kid, really doesn't mean squat.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Yeah, but what kind of douche cop would fine somebody for selling fireworks to a kid that's 4 days from being legal?

posted by  chris_knows

You'd be suprised. You honestly would.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Chris, comon, you're smarter than this. In the eyes of the law, it doesn't matter if you're going to be 18 in an hour or a year, they can still get fined for selling them to you. A big fine. Analyzing the risks, benefits, and consequences of the situation makes it clear what the smart business decision is. A few dollars (if that) profit is not worth risking hundreds or maybe even thousands.

posted by  jedimario

Alright, fine...You guys win.

posted by  chris_knows

he didnt sell them to you cause you look like a terrorist lol

when i worked at walgreens some guy came to get cigarettes and his birthday was gona be the next day, i couldnt sell them to him..i would have, but its just how dumb laws of modern society are set up

posted by  newyorker

You're one to talk about "dumb"

posted by  jedimario

I sure am when I mention you.

posted by  newyorker

Yeah but I had 2 white friends with me...wearing American Eagle lol.

I went to another place to get fireworks today, and I was with a friend who's a year younger than me, but he has a small beard coming in--like the kind you get if you don't shave for 3 days--(as hard as I try, I can't grow one). The fireworks guy didn't ask him for ID or anything. I have 2 other friends that are 19 (legal age for booze in Canada), and they don't get ID'd at liquor stores ever. They do look at me suspiciously when I'm with them though.

It's so unfair that I look 14.

posted by  chris_knows

When you're 40 you'll be glad

posted by  windsonian

Sounds like my son when he didnt get his way

what i would tell him is "Its against the law !!! Simple answer Stop whining"

Then some kid says they arent smart business men cause they didnt break the law That is just a dumb statment

posted by  Headlines

on my friends 21st b day we went out and she tried to buy alchohol from the bar and they denied because she has to be 21 and a day old to buy from the bar, but we went back to the table and ordered and they let her buy the drink from there, seemed odd. No real relation to this topic, but your story just reminded me of that.

posted by  salimander13

Probably because the same rules apply. To drink you have to be 21. No exceptions. To buy tobacco or fireworks etc 18 means 18. No exceptions.

posted by  Satty101

Chris, has somebody hacked your account? You seem too ignorant, lol. The law is the law, thgere's no exceptions to it (Unless you use self deffence or are under duress etc...then there's an exception...But that's in different context, lol) :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

By the time I'm 40, I'll probably be married, so who cares how I look? lolIt's a stupid law. I would understand if I was trying to buy something dangerous, but it's a roman candle. What's the worst the could happen; I might vandalize someone's property? I'm pretty sure I could get more done with a rock.18 and a day...that's weird.Ignorant? Cliffy, do you believe that government should be held accountable? If your government passed a 1-child policy, would you sit idly by and just call everyone ignorant if they disapproved of it? I thought we had a government of the people, Cliffy. Your yellow belly is showing. :laughing:

And guys, lets not take this thread too seriously. I was serious about my initial question, but this whole thread was made to have something to talk about on CF again.

posted by  chris_knows

Say what? Maybe it varies state by state, but on my 21st I went to a few bars and packies, was carded almost everytime, and was legally allowed to buy booze.

posted by  giant016

You knobhead...Are you intentionally trying to make CF controvertial again? :laughing:

I called you ignorant because that's what you're being. The law is the law regarding fireworks, the Government could clasify them in groups of how dangerous they are, but that wouldn't really solve anything.....Just confuse the matter further still. The main issue isn't with people injuring themselves, afterall, I'm sure you'd be safer than a 75 yr old man with 'shakey hand syndrone' lol. The main issue is with people mis-using them and lighting them where they shouldn't. If you ask me, 18 is still too young to be buying fireworks, afterall, I'd hazard a guess that most eighteen-year-olds who buy them (not aimed at you....because you're eighteen in 4-days...:doh: :laughing: ) do so to use them illegaly (ie in the street or through a neighbours letterbox etc).

The bottom line here is, is that it's more than any reputable businesses lisence is worth to sell to underage people, and that's all they are concerned about!

posted by  Cliffy

I wouldn't use fireworks to damage other people's property...I'm just saying that a rock can be just as dangerous as any firework. I'm more likely to use the stink bomb for vandalism.

Alright, this discussion is pretty much done. Summary:
I'm just as irresponsible with fireworks now, as I would be on May 21st (expecting a birthday thread :wink2: lol), but according to the law, there's no exceptions.

posted by  chris_knows

the point is the gov't has to draw a line somewhere, and 18 is a nice round number. the only other way around it would be for the gov't to require you to apply for a license to be able to purchase fireworks. which I think would be a better way to do things. same thing with alcohol. take a class, and fill out paperwork to get a license, and if you screw up (drink and drive/blow up your neighbors mailbox) you loose your license.

I think there are better laws to cry about. like here in the states, the law requires us to where seatbelts if the vehicle is equipped with them. Now I would where my seatbelt anyway, I just have a problem with the gov't. telling me I have to. The only person I would endanger by not wearing it is myself.

posted by  dvdrose18

Not true...your body could be repelled out the windshield and hit an innocent bystander, therefore injuring them as well. Ha, just put a hole in your theory. :wink2:

posted by  97Talonchik

I do think it would be propelled, not repelled:laughing: And if I was propelled that far, so would be the 6-pack of beer in the passenger seat, should the law require I buckle that in too?:mrgreen:

click it or ticket campaign this week and next.

posted by  dvdrose18

Are you the second child ?? if so i am for ONLY ONE CHILD LOL

posted by  Headlines

:laughing:

Nope...Underachieving first born FTW.

posted by  chris_knows

Not sure about how it is in the States, but in the UK you can be prosecuted if your vehicle isn't loaded corrected. It's not really the same as having just one or two items next to you that could be thrown through the windscreen if you crash, it's more for holiday makers etc...Just my two pennies worth..:laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

I think here it's something like if you have a load on top of your car thats not properly secured you can get fined. Inside I think anything goes.

posted by  Satty101

Ah crap, propel...repel...close enough, lol. :badrazz: Yes, you should always safely secure your beer, though everyone I know just holds onto the six pack in the crook of their arm while driving and holding the open one. That way, you don't even have to fumble to find a fresh one when yours runs out. :thumbs:

posted by  97Talonchik

The cops here in Tennessee would

If the law says you must be 18, it does not mean 17 yrs and 361 days - it means 18. The issue is not if you are responsible or not - I know some 40 yr olds who have no business owning a flashlight never the less owning fireworks. The issue is what your laws say.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

We know you are from Tennessee now.......Sounds like something some of my high school classmates did (the drinking age was 18 when I was in high school although drunk driving has always been illegal)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message