The English language

Home  \  Off Topic  \  The English language

Ok.....I was thinking about making a topic on this the other day...I didn't just read another topic here at CF and deside to right this one...honest...

Here's how it is, us British folk might spell certain things slightly differently to our buddies in the US....I will list a few spellings and state them in the way we write them and the way the Americans write them, here goes.

Cheque - Check

Centre - Center

Colour - Color

Favour - Favor

Flavour - Flavor

Realise - Realize

Appologise - Appologize..or anything else with a 'Z' on it..apart from magazine :thumbs:

Tyre - Tire

Ok, there's loads more but I cant think of them right now, feel free to post what ever you think of! :ticking:

posted by  Cliffy

Centre is another...

posted by  DodgeRida67

What is the most common dictionary you pratts use? :orglaugh: I meant to say Britts use :oops:

posted by  lectroid

The only dictionary this pratt knows of is the Oxford English dictionary :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I'll search for it online.grin

posted by  lectroid

lol, :banghead: ...I wonder what definition it gives for 'dictionary' on dictionary.com :ticking: ..*goes to look* :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Main Entry: dic·tio·nary
Pronunciation: 'dik-sh&-"ner-E
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nar·ies
Etymology: Medieval Latin dictionarium, from Late Latin diction-, dictio word, from Latin, speaking
1 : a reference book containing words usually alphabetically arranged along with information about their forms, pronunciations, functions, etymologies, meanings, and syntactical and idiomatic uses
2 : a reference book listing alphabetically terms or names important to a particular subject or activity along with discussion of their meanings and applications
3 : a reference book giving for words of one language equivalents in another
4 : a list (as of items of data or words) stored in a computer for reference (as for information retrieval or word processing)

The OED wants you to buy a subscription, for the use.

posted by  lectroid

Cheeky beggers lol :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

OK, what's CHEEKY?

posted by  lectroid

lol.....Cheeky is when one take the piss...

posted by  Cliffy

That's just an asshole. :asshake:

posted by  lectroid

Yes..it can be many things :wink2:

posted by  Cliffy

There is also the case of pronaciation and variation.

u guys say

erbs we say herbs, theres a $%^£$&* H in it

Cell (phone) we say mobile, and no its not mobil, long sound

ass is arse

fanny is not our arses, over here is femaile genatialia probibly the most pc way to say it

couch we say sofa or settee. technically a couch is a chase longe

you probibly know the car ones but just in case

rotors we say discs (brakes)

not sure if you use breaks for car brakes

check is to double check that its correct

were as cheque is promise of payment

theres dodge's tires :p i wouldnt try looking that up in the yellow pages, tyre

then there are uncoman shortening's

fender we say bumper

hood we say bonnet

trunk we say boot

city beams we just dont use them

you will never find a brit saying
spendy
y'all
laundromat

i have noticed a tendency for americans and canadians to use words for puntuation in speach
brit:
well, we went to the movies, then caught the bus home
canadian:
well like we went to the movies and like caught the bus home
american
more likely to substitute like for %^&king

if you want to have a really good laugh at how we all respectively use words then get a copy of Eats shoot's and leaves.

i got loads more if ne 1 wanna go though them but may b we should stick to car realted transposition and diffrences

posted by  cinqyg

The H is silent over here. Just in case you missed my last question. Cinqgy you have refered to Japanese cars as "japs" I was just curious if that as politicaly correct over on that side of the pond. I know in America they will smash your balls in. That type of free speach isnt covered over here.

posted by  Voda48

i guess it isnt PC, sorry if i offended any one. i dont really see what the big deal is at least in the context of cars.

I thought that i made it clear that i was refering to nissan, honda, toyota, suzuki etc. But just incase that was the meaning.

posted by  cinqyg

'Jap' is quite acceptable in the UK, everyone uses it, you wouldn't be accused of racism for the use of the word :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Here is one for you then. I got some teammates from Poland and they said that the derogetory word for a black person, the N one is common place in Poland. It isn't seen as a slur. Is that true in the UK?

posted by  Voda48

In the UK if you call a black person that, they will definattely take offense, it is without doubt, a racist remark. Also, over here, to retain Political Correctness, the Police use code names for different races, for example, a Black male would be known as an 'IC3 Male' same as for females...just change the obvious part to 'Female'....a white male/Female is known as an 'IC1' :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Thanks. By the way I like the picture of the old ladies :thumbs:

posted by  Voda48

haha, great topic. keep em comin guys. :thumbs:

posted by  importluva

No probs :thumbs: ....as for the old ladies, I saw them and had to have them lol

posted by  Cliffy

Here is one that you brits can relate to. I just watched Eddie Izzard dressed to kill :laughing: Man........ I don't know what to say

posted by  Voda48

Well if you like eddy then im sure we can come up with some more brit humour for you.

Series:
Red Dwarf
Black Adder

Comedians
Jasper Carrot
Bill Bryson
Dave Goreman
Billy Connerly

help me out you guys, its vital we get these americans a sence of humour :laughing:

posted by  cinqyg

Wow that is really funny because that is what we say about you stiff Brits over there. :laughing:

posted by  Voda48

yeah well, we like humour that requires some mental processing power. Not mickey mouse hitting daffy duck.

Political humour, you got that, you just laugh at what ever they say, well GW Bush is a comiedan isnt he???? :p Well that should be his proffession, look at some of the lines he comes out with. "more and more of our imports are coming from abroad". If it wasnt so tragic it would be funny.

The thing about british humour is its dry and suttle, well the good stuff is anyway.

posted by  cinqyg

yeah where i live Jap means Jewish American Princess... :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

well think i would prefer a skyline.

posted by  cinqyg

Ya i've heard that one too

posted by  Voda48

where do ppl come up with these acronyms?!

posted by  cinqyg

I think Hollywood and the media are to blame

posted by  Voda48

yeah probibly, acronyms seem to have formed there own langauge especially in technology companies. Were i work we just string acronyms together with puntuation to form a sentance, i dint realise until the new girl started how much crap we speek.

posted by  cinqyg

Your Message