Does Anybody Here Go For Drives?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Does Anybody Here Go For Drives?

Not like to the store or anything, but just to drive. Not to anywhere. Just for fun? Did anybody go before (when gas was half this price or lower)?

I always look for excuses to go out but it's always for something, and I have to go somewhere specific.

posted by  chris_knows

I used to, and was planning on going yesterday but got stuck at work. Gas prices doubling since I got my car have had a little influence, but a nice long drive is still cheaper than most other things that would have taken its place.

There is some really nice country north of me, freshly paved roads, lots of straightaways, lots of curves, speed limits high enough that you don't need to speed much to have fun, gorgeous scenery, and no traffic if you go at the right time. Perfect for unwinding after a long day. Usually it's about a 2hr drive.

posted by  giant016

In the past when I had a bad day I would just get in my car and get on the highway and drive for an hour or two. There is nothing like wide open highway late at night. Almost got lost a few times, but always made it home alive. It was a quick way to burn through a tank of gas, but I would get some good fuel economy numbers.
Lately due to the price of gas I drive as little as possible. Instead I take my bike out. Spent a couple hours out tonight, of course I don't go nearly as far, but it is a much better fealing. It would be nice if more roads had shoulders, but it is a great fealing to be out at night gliding silently through smaller towns. Gives you a totaly different perspective. Then to come home tired, and just back and relax.

Dang, I wanna go back out just thinking about it, but I got work to do tomorrow.:ohcrap:

posted by  dvdrose18

Us dsmers have DSM meets every week. we'd meet up at a empty parking lot.when everybodies there we go out and cruise a strip or two.

posted by  DARKtEAGLE

Hey Eagle, you know anyone who wants a 97 with engine problems? I'm over it!!

posted by  97Talonchik

what to you have now?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I did when I first got my licence, then I cut back..now that I have this little roadster, the occasional "drive" is very fun. Unfortunately the gas I use csts 4.35 here and I get like 21mpg

posted by  newyorker

I used to do a lot of cruising, back roads and all. I just don't have the time for it anymore.

posted by  dodgerforlife

I used to go out driving no where in particular when I first started driving. Now I see driving as more of a nessesity than a hoby...Not that I don't like driving anymore, I just tend to save petrol these days, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

Yeah, in U.S. dollars, you guys pay over $10 a gallon. I feel really bad for you guys lol.

posted by  chris_knows

LOL, a really HOT Nissan Sentra GXE. Hey, it is only a 12 gallon tank, so I don't pay too much to fill up and I get around 28 MPG city. It's just not as fun to drive.

posted by  97Talonchik

Sounds like the same reasons I bought my Kia Rondo. I am debating about splurging and putting a custom UT license tag on it (not the National champs one but the other UT tag)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Hmmmm i may have a buyer but idk ill have to get a hold of him. ill PM u with updates

posted by  DARKtEAGLE

Your Message