Snow brings UK to a standstill

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Snow brings UK to a standstill

Now I would imagine given that most of you are in either the USA or Canada, some of you are used to heavy snow, and you just keep on soldiering by etc. Well on Monday of this week we had widespread snow across the country, which haulted most public transport for at least a day, and closed many schools. Luckily I was off work at the time so it didn't affect me too much (I travel on and work on the trains so you can see how it might have been). Anyway, everyone was advised to stay at home unless absolutely necessary and don't drive etc. Obviously I ignored the bit about driving, as being a car nut I love driving in snow and ice and see it as a challenge if anything, lol. I've attached a link. Please bear in mind though, that what might appear to be us being unprepared, is due to us never really suffering adverse weather like this, and thus not fitting snow tyres to cars or plows to trains :laughing:. Also, as our trains in the south are mainly electric and run on a 'third rail' system, and snow or ice tends to affect them.

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7864332.stm)

posted by  Cliffy

6 Inches?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? Damn. Well, ok, I know you fellas over there probably arent used to it by now, but my god. 6 inches is an inconvinience here. We don't get worried till it's almost 1.5-2 feet.

In any sense, is it that different for you guys? I don't know the average snowfall for the UK so...I'm assuming close to Texas..

Ahem...There's a car under there BTW.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StylussKid/Beretta/DSC04331.jpg

posted by  Satty101

Yeah 6-inches brings life to a hault over here. It was deeper than that where I live though. I measured at least nine inches...<< *Just realises how that might have looked* :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

didn't you guys know at least a couple days before hand that the storm was coming? the news report makes it sound as though closing schools for a day is a national disaster. It's not like the kids were stranded in the schools. But i guess I don't realy understand, living in the States and all. Do most people over there even have a snow shovel or do you just wait for it to melt?

posted by  dvdrose18

The thing with the UK is that even though stuff like this gets forecast, we're never that prepared, lol. We tend just to wait for it to melt, especially on footpaths. Although the platforms at the railway stations have to be reasonably clear, so there's snow shovels at work, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

Its all gone this week thank god. Watching RWD cars trying to get out of my estate was a spectators sport at times.

posted by  fudge

Kind of fun to be behind the wheel of just about anything though....

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message