Military, You in?

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Military, You in?

Just so Zalight's thread doesn't go off topic anymore.

I'm lookin into the Army, for no real reason except for something to do, and because I've always wanted to serve my country.

So who else is in/lookin at the military?

posted by  Satty101

Options are wide open in the military...the question is which of the vast numbers of jobs will be available when you complete or are in basic training?

My ASVAB score was 92. :) Apparently I was in a room full of bafoons because of the 30 or so guys in the room testing, only myself and one other guy scored above 70! I was floored.

The Army will put you there if they have an opening for your job there...otherwise, you're at the mercy of the Army needs. If it's similar to the AF and things haven't changed too much, you get a "wish list" for where you'll be stationed initially AND which jobs are available to train for at the time you're entering. On the job list, I got my last choice. On the places to go list, I got none of which I chose.

posted by  BavarianWheels

ASVAB was a breeze. I'm looking into the navy or coast guard right now because my asthma limits me from anywhere else. One of the main coast guard bases is in st. pete so i'd most likely get stationed in my area. Gotta wait for a clean drug test though. :doh: Time to get my life back in order.

posted by  99integra

It has always amazed me they consider coast gaurd military (I piss off one of my friends out here everytime we get on the subject of military or politics. Military to me is being able to blow shit up, and McCain > Obama IMO).

But anyways, I go in today to take the actual ASVAB test, and see what I can do and such.

posted by  Satty101

The military is always a good choice I served in the USMC as a combat engineer 90-93. Basically we built bunkers, bridges, etc..... and on the fun side we learned how to blow them all up too.

I had great fun got to see the world (well most of Europe) and got money for college. Which I used to get 2 college degrees.

posted by  corbett_auto

Did you go to the gulf war?

Times are different now though...if you sign up, you're basically signing to go to Iraq.

posted by  Zalight

Therein lies the problem with youth. Give me, but don't make me give.

The military is a signing away of your LIFE for at least 4 years and in return, you're PAID, trained, and taken care of. I don't understand how anyone that joins doesn't understand this going in. I was amazed at how many "blind" kids joined just because it was what their dad did and their grandfather before them, then realize, "Holy shite...there's rules and I could die!"

Well a lot of people use the military as a gateway to real life; training, experience, discipline, etc...

All I'm saying is that now it doesn't seem to hold the value as a means to an end anymore. It seems like if you sign up now, you HAVE to be ready to go to war...because there is a very high likelihood you will end up in the desert.

posted by  Zalight

And it's a good avenue to take. Many great opportunities in the military.

You have to be ready anyway...the only difference is that where before we did lots of training to go,(war games, fake deployments, rediculous bag inventorys for deployment...) now there's little initial training and more OJT (on the job training) that is for real.

It's still a great means to an end, but the sacrifice is more real today...for sure.

Well, I signed up with the Army after talking it over one last time with my wife, and got the job that I wanted (Which apparently is a very rare job to have any seats open for training) which is Radar Repairer. Looks like I deploy for basic in the end of May, have a week to get my haircut, my equipment (Boots, uniform, etc.) then start up for a 9 week training. After that I spend a week at home, then go to Fort Sill (I believe) in Alabama for my 48 weeks of job training, then I get my signing bonus (18K), buy my next new car (As if I need another), and find out where I'm stationed. Should be fun. I'm lookin forward to it.

posted by  Satty101

Seriously...I hope you get the job. I also was "guaranteed" the job I wanted when I went in and when I got to Basic and was given my list of available jobs, my promised job was not available.

Ask yourself this...how is it they know the job is available "in May"...? While they have an idea of retirements and the end of enlistment for the masses, they don't know who or how many will be testing to get that "rare" job should it come available. If it's truly a highly sought after job, then those already in will get first choice. Do not go in blind. Have an alternative plan.

I hope you get it and all goes your way, but the reality is this. The Army will offer you what they have available THAT DAY when they print out the job listings for the new recruits. They have no way of knowing if you'll get through boot camp "in time" to fill the spot so they'll put someone in there asap.

Also...be ready to hurry up and wait!

Did you sign on the dotted line already?

Not yet. I have all my stuff done minus my physical and random ability test (Damn being at the highest body fat rate acceptable. Now I gotta do 15 pushups in 1 minute (Not hard, I just did 24 in 45 seconds) and 150 up and downs (Step up and down 12 inches) in 5 minutes.)

Other than that, I have everything else done.

posted by  Satty101

You REALLY want to lose that weight before going into Basic. You DON'T want the added attention for your weight!! Also, we were discouraged from getting the shaved head before going into Basic...another reason to single you out. Army and AF basic are similar, but AF is definitely easier and a few weeks shorter! AF people are treated better...!! I was on a tour in Honduras at an Army base for a couple of months...the poor Army guys were always carrying around their full packs (with helmets in tow) and in full BDU uniform and steel toed combat boots. Us AF guys...BDU sleeves rolled up, desert combat boots, baseball caps, and air conditioned dorm rooms. Army guys...hot, humid wooden hootches.

I've been thinking about joining the reserve or guard after school, but I just have to see what I'm up to then. Also makes a difference if I want to get a PhD after a masters. I'd also have to see what I could do (history of asthma and I don't have awesome eyesight). I want to serve; I feel it's the right thing to do.

Satty, wish you the best of luck. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Good luck with it, Satty!

I've certainly never given the Military much thought, but from friends etc who have served, it seems you're well looked after as far as career progression etc goes!

posted by  Cliffy

Wow good luck man you motivated me to go talk to the recruiter for the coast guard yesterday and im definately going to give it a whirl. I've made poor decisions in my short life but this one is going to be a good one I just know it.

posted by  99integra

Good luck, Teggy! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Not really. in between boot camp and MOS training and getting assigned to a unit things slowed down for a while. But then I went to the Mediterranean sea for 6 months and we spent sometime on stand-by.

I knew that all of this was a problem when I joined, but I still wanted to do this on my terms. I wanted to join the branch of my choice and pick my career path as well. This is why I volunteered, to do it my way.

To anyone thinking of it, I say go for it. At times it can be rough..... but looking back on it now, I'd trade thoses rough times in a heart beat for the problem I encounter now on a daily basis.

posted by  corbett_auto

Well, got back from MEPS last night. MEPS for those who don't know, is physical (Which is a LOT more than say a physical for a regular job), and random screening/briefing. Yeah, this also invloves about 45 minutes of random exercise, running around a building, and for people who need to take the ARMs test like I did, add another 10 minutes onto exercise. All in all, not bad. My thighs kinda hurt, but that's about it. Swore in at the end of the 11 hour day, (Got there at 6AM, left at 5PM) and came home to bed (I got 1 hour of sleep the previous night). How fun it was..:ticking:

posted by  Satty101

Your Message