TV shows and anime

Home  \  Off Topic  \  TV shows and anime

Sometimes, I actually get tired of winning in Modern Warfare 2 and generally playing Xbox late at night, so I sit down to watch tv on the PC or anime.

Been asking on my facebook for good shows, but seems I only have like 2 friends that are competent enough to give me new ideas instead of mentioning the shows they know I'm already watching.

So anyone got any GOOD ideas?

I've kept up with shows like House, Dexter, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, Top Gear, Prison Break, and the list goes on for a while, but that's a general idea.

As for anime.... that's a lot I've watched throughout the years. Darker than Black, Black Cat, Berserk, Dragonball, a few of the Gundams (8th MS Team was the best along with Stardust), Tekkaman Blade, Busou Renkin, Outlaw Star, Gungrave, D. Gray-Man, Full Metal Panic. I'm mostly into the comedies, bloody, and mecha themes on this.

So yeah... this should get a few people talking. In the meantime, I'm going to watch this week's House on megavideo.

posted by  Inygknok

What about some Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies, some Hanna Barbera...?

posted by  BavarianWheels

Friday Night Lights, Smallville and Cougartown get my vote. I already watch several of the shows you mentioned(Dexter, Scrubs, House).

I don't quite know if this would be your style, but Legend of the Seeker - It follows the Sword of Truth series written by Terry Goodkind.

If you need something to laugh at, Jersey Shore.

Bav - I have all of Fraggle Rock and Animaniacs stashed on DVD's somewhere. I'll probably end up getting Looney Tunes, and the original TMNT as well. Going to save them for my nieces and nephews and my future kids. Some of that shit on TV today scares me.

posted by  dodgerforlife

All the old school cartoon shorts were intended for adults as the themes, sexual/racial innuendos and stereotypes suggest. Most of those cartoons I laughed at as a child, but it wasn't until I was older that I understood the comedy within. Still laugh at those cartoons when I run across them on Cartoon Network. I don't care for much after the mid to late '70s.

posted by  BavarianWheels

I've been watching How I met your mother now for a while, and Two and a half men as well. Both funny shows

As for anime, When I was younger one of my friend's brothers had the first 140 episodes or so of Naruto and we watched all of them and I still think it's a really good anime.

Dragon ball Z seemed great but watching it now is hilarious.

posted by  nighthawk

I read the Naruto manga, the anime is too slow. Same with Bleach and a few others that continue in manga version after the anime is done (Berserk and Claymore come to mind).

Every now and then I watch a Merry Melodies show on Youtube. It's a world of difference when you finally get all the actual jokes.

How is "how I met your mother" good? I've heard a lot about it but never got around to even watching one single episode.

As for laughing, I like shows like "Big Bang Theory" and.... well, Scrubs.

posted by  Inygknok

How I met your mother is just a really funny sitcom about 3 guys and two girls in their 20's. It's told by the main character in the year 2030 who starts every episode talking to his future kids about how he met their mother.

It runs like that for every episode, there's 7 or so seasons right now and they still havent introduced her. It's a really good show though.

posted by  nighthawk

I forgot all about Two and A Half Men. D'oh!

posted by  dodgerforlife

The only things I really watch on TV is Discovery Channel and CNN, since I can just download everything and skip the commercials, but the only shows I keep up with are Entourage, The Office, and Soutpark.
Other than that, there's a lot of interesting channels on Youtube that are more interesting than TV.

posted by  chris_knows

Uhhh, you can download most of the Discovery programming as well - I have all of How It's Made and Mythbusters :smoke:

I don't actually watch TV....I just torrent the shows.

posted by  dodgerforlife

^ x2

posted by  Inygknok

I don't really care for Mythbusters and stuff that much though...If something interesting's on, I'll watch it, otherwise I go to CNN lol.
Also, am I the only one that tries to avoid torrents? My internet's capped at 60GB, and it sucks to have to share as much as I download, so I've been using sites like megaupload and megashares a lot more. Download speeds are extremely fast if you can find the file you're looking for...

posted by  chris_knows

I have absolutely no cap on my net here, it's a beautiful thing.

That and being set for 40MBit speeds is also beautiful.

I'm sure we average roughly 300gb down every month.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Streaming data also counts towards bandwidth limits. Data transferred is data transferred UNLESS your ISP has a configuration to identify torrents specifically somehow. I know some ISP's block out certain downloaders automatically.

I changed ISP's at home to get rid of the old bandwidth cap I used to have at 40GB. Unlimited now.

There's a lot of good shit on tv that's worthwhile downloading.

posted by  Inygknok

I forgot to mention trailer park boys. seriously worth watching all 7 seasons :laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

I'm capped at 60GB, but I try to avoid torrents because should upload the same amount as you download, so a 700MB movie actually takes 1400. It's really hard to not go over my limit when I just got a 1TB hard-drive like a month ago though lol...Only like ~250GB left

posted by  chris_knows

That's why you do this dirty dirty deed called leeching, and leave those with giant bandwidth capabilities to do the uploading

posted by  dodgerforlife

G1 Transformers.

posted by  Spanky2324

Your Message