Jet Fuel

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Jet Fuel

Could someone tell me the octane of Jet Fuel and if someone who was really crazy and had a sh*t-load of money to make an engine out of like the strongest metal possible could burn jet fuel and if its more powerful than racing fuel? And is it more powerful than methane but less explosive somehow?

posted by  VMJYogi

The higher the octane rating of the fuel the less "volitale" the fuel is. Basically, it's just as "explosive" BUT it burns slower. That's why high-compression engines run higher octane fuel. I don't know much about jet fuel...but, I believe that aviation quality fuel is leaded, that means a big no-no for fuel injected vehicles or vehicles with catalytic converters. Your best bet is to go to a local drag strip(if available) and get high octane race fuel...if you don't have an internally modified engine it won't do you any good. OR, you may be able to buy some aviation fuel from a small nearby airport...one that deals primarily in crop dusters and things of the like, see if they'll sell you fuel...they may not but you never know.

As far as methane...I'm not sure if you mean methanol or nitromethane...but both of these will destroy carb and fuel injector seals if you don't use special seals/gaskets. Again, with an internally stock engine, there is no need for anything that you can't get at the pumps(good ol' Sunoco 94). I ran a very small nitromethane/methanol mix in with Sunoco 94(I wanna say, 5%methanol/12-15%nitro) in my ATC 200X....that thing kicked ass for awhile...until I destroyed my carb...if I rode it for more than 5 minutes I would have to wait 20 minutes for it to cool before I could start it again...If I rode it for more than 10 minutes, you could hear the fuel in the fuel bowl boiling(never good). Nitro and methanol create a lot of heat.

Stick to the pumps and you'll be just fine.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

From a reliable source:

The correct answer is no. Jet fuel isn't rated in octane, it's rated in cetane. JP-8 (Jet Propulsion formula 8, used in most military aircraft today) is essentially nothing more than ultra low sulphur diesel fuel. JP-4 (superceded by JP-8) is closer to kerosene but still fairly low sulphur. So... put jet fuel in your car if you want, just don't expect it to run.

posted by  BavarianWheels

No i wasnt thinking of putting it in my car i was just wondering if it could be done by professionals. Thanks guys.

posted by  VMJYogi

AVGAS or MOGAS are higher octane, 120, mainly so that at altitude you can suck and squash more oxygen before it preignights.

posted by  cinqyg

Racing fuel wise theres 76 racing fuels
76 racing fuel do a cool blue racing fuel that has than your standard 95 ron to a 106 RON so there a bit more octane to improve your cars performance. Its certainly not cheap stuff. It does however meet the requirments for the state and federal CARB phase II and EPA reformulated gasoline :thumbs: in other words in the states this is completly road legal.. its also avaible in europe as it meets the european standards for Ultra low sulphur emission :thumbs:

posted by  Lukaz

Your Message