At long last- my first car.

Home  \  Off Topic  \  At long last- my first car.

Finally, after countless hours of searching for a first car, and bazillions of clicks through pages upon pages of listings on autotrader.com, I finally found my car. Obviously, it's nothing spectacular, but I certainly like it.
It's a 1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe with the 1.6L VTEC engine. The car is a stick (which was a must for me), has a power sunroof/moonroof, air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, cassette player, and only 99,000 miles on it. As well, I neglected to mention the SIX-DISC CD CHANGER! Pardon me; my bad.
The car is in fantastic shape. All it has are a scratch along the side, a dent above the front-left wheel well, and a missing wheel cover. We test-drove it today, and my dad is meeting with the sellers to buy it tomorrow. I'm quite excited.
I realize how very lucky I am in finding this car- Kelly Blue Book rates it at about $4000, not considering the cd changer and $1800 in brand new parts. He listed the car yesterday evening. He had already gotten two calls on it before I called. Luckily, I was the first to come test-drive it and lay claim to it. I was amazed- when we returned from the 10 minute test-drive, the seller's mother had already taken down two more calls on the car. I got really lucky with this one. :mrgreen:
To say the least, I couldn't be happier. The car is in great shape, it's bearing relatively low mileage (82k less than the P.O.S. accord I would have inherited- which rates at a worth of $980, Private Party), and the Vtec engine is strong, even despite the fact that we had... about 600lbs. worth of people in the car. It accelerated that well, which was better than the acceleration of my mother's PT Cruiser, when you're only driving with one other person. ::rolls eyes::
Anyway. I figured I'd let you all know, and see what kind of feedback I get.

posted by  Patrick

congrats! :clap:

im not a fan of civics but all the power to you if you are... :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

wow thats a good car... its a ex coupe, + it has a moonroof, stick, and vtec! nice man.. werent u the guy that worked at mcdonalds??? anywayz congratz.. i love ur car! but u never mentioned the price?

posted by  Ki2AY

...and another Honda owner! :smoke:

Congrats. :thumbs:

posted by  lutz

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5689

:thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

VTECH!!!!!

haha, congrats to you man. new car, new job, things are looking good for you. :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

Absolutely. In response to what was asked above, it was $2500. I feel sorry for the seller- I'm not sure he really knew by how much he underpriced it. My brother got home from college today, and took me and my girlfriend out in it. It gets up and goes as well as his car does (1996 Maxima with the 3.0L V6 and a stick), and it takes turns like a champ. I'm excited to get my license so that I can try it out without the extra weight in the car.

posted by  Patrick

:laughing: Right, too much ballast isn't good for sporty handling.

I know that car goes like a champion around the curves. It's a fun car :mrgreen:

posted by  lutz

Congrats, Patrick, I've always been a fan of all Honda engines and the reliablility they provide...Great car you have there, have fun with it :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

RICER RENT-A-COP!!!! :orglaugh:

Just messin with ya man..

posted by  Satty101

LOL...No probs, that reminds me..I have to change my title as I'm no longer a 'rent-a-cop' :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Actually, speaking of rice, my whole intentions for this car are the complete antithesis of rice. Aesthetically speaking, I don't need or want a big-ass spoiler (I was considering a factory spoiler, though), nor do I want to rice my car up with a body kit. Besides. I've already looked at all the body kits I can find on the internet, and I don't really like any of them.
http://www.a2zhobbies.com/pictures/Rev1524.jpg
Personally, I think that's ugly. That's the civic from The Fast & the Furious, and that body kit is for sale all over the place. Personally, I think my car looks well enough stock...
http://www.racenet.co.nz/dealer_advertisements/sakura/94civic_black.jpg (actually, that one's not stock- the wheels are hideous, but it works for an example.)
Aesthetically speaking, all that I want for my car is to get the dents and dings fixed, replace the wheels (and/or find decent wheel cover replacements), and get it repainted. I will be getting it painted black again, but I was thinking about having them paint on a red pinstripe along the side. I don't know- I'll have to give it some thought.

Now mechanically speaking, I still hope to install all the things on it that I always have. I had some ideas, and I'd like to see what you all think about them:
-Greddy SP2 exhaust (Actually, I'd prefer to get the quietest exhaust system I possibly can that will still give me the performance.) (The SP2 system looks to be about $619.00- Ouch.) (A Pace Setter Exhaust system is only $290.00)
- Neuspeed Ram Air Intake or Cold Air Intake (Again, whatever is quiter, w/o sacrificing the ponies I'm looking for.) (An AEM system starts at $190.00)
- DC Sports Stainless Steel Headers- Youch- FROM $341.95 up!
- Catco Catalytic Converter- $100.00 about
-Ractive Front Strut bars- $70.00
- Unorthodox Racing Pulleys- $120 each
- So on and so forth.

Please send me feedback with comments and divergent opinions.

posted by  Patrick

so, is the last pic your car? I didn't feel like reading. Also, I think a discreet (sp?) wing is nice. Not aluminum, but something more like a touring wing. Body kits...if molded to the body and painted AS SOON AS IT'S PUT ON/Molded, then I don't mind them either. But if it's being drivin around in primer or "un-painted", one word comes to mind....GHEY!!!

I don't know, see if a Z04 kit works! :smoke:

posted by  Satty101

Actually, that is not a picture of my car. My car needs some body work before I post any pictures. And this Z04 body kit you speak of; I'm having a spot of trouble locating it. Find me a picture, why don't you?

posted by  Patrick

it's the same kit that's on my car. It's actually the name of the GTZ/Z26 GFX

If I remember right, a guy bought a kiyt for his old Civic and wanted to see if it'd fit on his retta (since he totaled his Civic before his kit got to him) and they were VERY close. some minor fiberglassing needed. I think GM still makes the Z04 kit. Just ask for one for a 96 Z26 if you want to try...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/534000-534999/534455_40.j pg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/534000-534999/534455_63_f ull.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/534000-534999/534455_149_ full.jpg

posted by  Satty101

Congrats Patrick. I wish I had my own car. Civics are a nice, economical, reliable car. That VTec should be nice too.

posted by  abless

Congrats Patrick! You're one lucky chap to have a decent car all to yourself. Well done.

posted by  importluva

From the above two posts, I get the impression that you don't own your own cars?

In other news, this morning I was looking on the internet for wheels. The wheels I want are TSW 14" "Razor". Look for them on discounttiredirect.com.
(Hopefully that doesn't border on advertising too much). Altogether they'd cost me $360. Here's my question- the wheels I have on there now (the gross black ones with a million holes; stock steel rims) are 14" x 5". The rims I am looking at are 14 X 6, and 14 X 5.5- will my current tires fit?

posted by  Patrick

As well, I was looking at hoods for my car (just for the sake of looking), and there are a lot of quite sporty hoods, but these hoods with these dips and scoops beg the question in my mind- are these actually holes in the hood? If so, what happens when the hood gets wet? Or do these hoods not really have vents, and they just look like it? That seems like it'd be the prudent thing to do, but I don't know. Someone- enlighten me!

posted by  Patrick

I used to drive my dad's F-150 until my little incident with the po. I will be getting my own car in december or january.

posted by  abless

Your Message