Camaro/Firebird

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Camaro/Firebird

Ok, the time has come to where I'm going to buy the first car I ever bought on my own. I have my mind set on an older Camaro/Firebird. And since my parents don't give a damn as long as I pay for all the stuff on my own, they'll give me the garage space I need to work on, modify, and most likely, fix whatever I want/need. So, I just figured I'd share because I'm siked about this, and to get opinions from what year you all like the most, and think I should get. I basically want something speedy, and reletivly easy to work on [I'm currently thinking carbuerated (SP?)] because the friends I'm going to have working on it with me prefer to work on them because of the lack of wiring. Which is nice and less confusing. So ya. Help? :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

IMHO, I have always like the Firebird over the Camaro. I feel that Pontiac did a better job with the front and rear end than Chevy did. :2cents:

I still have my '77 TA from just after highschool and it is next on my list of restorations. To this date, that '77 TA was the best car I have owned in terms of fun factor. Great power and decent handling. It had the 400 with the manual trans, T-tops and is a Bandit Edition car. :2cents:

There is an early 70's parked in a field on old Green Bay road (East side of the road) between Green Bay road and where the road turns east into Racine. It is green with a white top on it (I know, not the coolest but maybe has potential). Not sure if it's for sale, you would have to check.

posted by  theman352001

There's a coule around here but they're way out of my price range, I'm sure. They look like they're mint. Dark blue or Black (I don't remember). I'll check in on the info today after school. Looks like it's about 77. Looks sharp. Then in Milwaukee I know of a dark blue IROC-Z Camaro with some nice chrome wheels. I'll look...eventually.

posted by  Satty101

Well, what are you looking to spend? I've seen cars in mint or restored condition going for around $12,000 to $16,000. I would think a decent driver in need of TLC should go for around $5000 or so.

posted by  theman352001

16 year old kid, with a job that pays maybe 100 bucks a week, 30 from that for gas, So, I'm not looking for much here. I'm looking for the body to be in pretty good condition. Dents, dings, scratches, paint chips. I don't care about those thing because I'm stripping the paint and re-painting it. Try to stay away from rust. Interior I'm looking to be in good condition, since that's one thing I don't want to mess with. So mainly, I'll probably top off my price range at 2000. Leaves me with very little, but I want a project.

posted by  Satty101

You know, I just thought of another one I've seen around the area. It is in a bone yard but was not in bad shape. Are you familiar with the bone yard on the North side of Hwy 50 heading toward Lake Geneva? Small white building with the cars behind it.

I was in there last year and found a '80s style TA. All the way in the back. Red. I recall the body was in OK shape. Can't recall the rest. I looked at it because I was thinking about getting the passenger side quarter for mine.

Just another option. I'll keep my eyes open.

posted by  theman352001

thanks man. I appreciate it. I'll check out the boneyards around here. You familliar with Sturtavant Auto out on east frontage road? Right by South Hills golf course. If you wanted to maybe set up a day or whatnot we could probably meet up out there and look around.

posted by  Satty101

Always love poking through the bone yards. Yeah, I know of that yard. Haven't been there in a while.

I would be game to go through it with you if you would like. Do you know their hours? Saturday morning is open.

Oh yeah, by the way. Last night I went past the place where that early '70s firebird was parked and I didn't see it in the same location. It was dark so it was hard to tell. A more exact location is just south of KR on old Green Bay Road. It is, I believe, the first residence on the east side of the road. Not sure if it is still there.

posted by  theman352001

Sounds good. What kind of options do you want? Transmission, engine, etc?

Good luck with finding one. :thumbs:

posted by  abless

Well, I bowl in a league on Saturday mornings. Maybe sometime this week or next weekend we could meet up. :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

Well, I bowl in a league on Saturday mornings. Maybe sometime this week or next weekend we could meet up. :thumbs:

abless, I want a V8 with a stick shift. Movin up in power. I4 Beretta, V6 Grand Am...camaro/firebird.

posted by  Satty101

just look on cars.com its really easy to fire a nice firebird on their :thumbs:

posted by  Eclipse_2004

I would definantly go older. If you can find a late model like the 68 or 69 still is good repair I would go for that! But, if you cant I recomend something in the mid 70s. Congrats!!

posted by  chrissy04

Their hours are 8:30 - 5:00 Mon - Fri and 8:30 to 3:00 on Saturday. Saturday works best for me. What time are you done with league?

Another point of interest with Sturtevant.... They tend to be the highest bidder when Racine is emptying out its impound lot. If you keep a close eye on when the sales are you can stop by when they have received a bunch of cars and get at them before anybody else. I almost bought an old Metropolitan from them this way.

posted by  theman352001

I personally don't like Firebirds after the 1981 model year. After 1981, they went to popup headlights.

It's interesting that you made this topic, because about a month ago, I was looking for the same thing. I wanted a post 92' Camaro, or a post 82' Firebird.
I really wanted a Firebird, but all of the decent ones were expensive, and few had manuals.
The fastest older model Camaro doesn't come with a manual. The most powerful engine offered in a manual older model Camaro is a 5.0 liter V8 making 230 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. Those engines didn't arrive until 89'.

All of the second generation (82'-92') V8's have decent torque, the weakest having 240 lb-ft.

Any questions you have about a Camaro, I can probably answer. ANY question.

I wanted to buy a Trans Am and make it look like this:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/620000-620999/620640_1_fu ll.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/620000-620999/620640_2_fu ll.jpg......

posted by  What

Why is this forum glitching?

posted by  What

The software is getting out-dated because Adam hasn't been around in.....forever. I looked at a 84 Camaro with a 305 5-speed. Paint is going south, but like I said, that's not an issue. body is in good condition, and it drives fine. might still end up getting that one.

posted by  Satty101

Ok. Another car came up. a Friebird, yellow, new engine/tranny half redone interior, new hood, new wheels, jacked up ass, and custom exhaust.

problems: Got in a car crash in the front. needs new fenders and bumper cover. possibly new hood and lights.

all for 1200 bucks. Car would be worth more in parts, but it IS a project, so.

posted by  Satty101

I was looking at the dallas paper and found 1, here it is:

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr, Auto, Ac, Pwr L/W, Cass, Low miles: $4,995

It may not be wat you are looking for, but I thought it could help. Heres the number, its at Reliable Chevrolet,

Pre-Owned Cars: 1-800-266-5200

Hope that helps! :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

firebirds ceased production in 2002, which is why they're so affordable! :mrgreen:

posted by  mark_X

Good for you, Im sure there may have been one other person on CF who didnt already know that! Good for u! :clap: :banghead: Do you want a cookie or something?

posted by  StiMan

As did the Camaros. Anywho, yet another update for everybody. I've kinda felt an empty spot in me and I realized an F-body wasn't really what I wanted, nor what my insurance wanted. So I'm going back to Berettas. Thinking about buying an older one, maybe 87-90 Base with a V6 auto, and dropping in a new 3400 SFI with a 5-speed and such. The idea has crossed my mind many times to try and make the "Feretta" which ewas basically a Beretta with a twin turbo V8, and AWD. But, I don't think that'd be a good idea with minimal skills on modifying. Probably down the road sometime I'll try, but for now, a 3400 5-speed will suit me fine. :thumbs:

Thanks a lot everyone for your help here. I really appriciate it, but it turns out F-bodys just aren't for me yet..

posted by  Satty101

Dont you already have a Beretta? (Just asking...) :screwy:

posted by  StiMan

Did, we sold it about a month back so I'm looking for another. I liked mine. my parents didn't because of the repair bills and me not paying them back in full for them...heh.

posted by  Satty101

Lol... Nice one... :banghead: :doh: :screwy:

posted by  StiMan

To think one of our own Moderators soudling like a mindless drone with no ability to think. I'll cut it real with you. We don't know what you need, and anyone who tells you otherwise is just as non-dependant as you are for asking us which car is better in our opinions. Our opinions should'nt reflect or influence yours. Thats why they are opinons. If they do then that only leads me to believe your as sad as half the sad needle dicks who come here expecting us to buy their car for them. Its a car and you should buy one according to your wants and needs. N who else better knows your wants and needs than you?

All else aside from facts written in stone, wich I'm sure you're very capable of researching yourself from many more reliable sources than people found here(No offense intended), you should get the facts and weight those to make YOUR own opinon.

I've worked in sales for quite a few years. Customers come in all the time asking what should they get. Realisticly I can't and no one here can tell you what to get. All somone can tell is Car A does this and Car B does this. Its up to you to pick what fits your needs.(I'm going to assume that by older you mean what I think you mean, if I'm wrong its only because you did'nt present me with enough info) Yes I know you don't "want" an F-Body but in case you change your mind.

Now onto the stats:

Chevrolet Camaro 3rd Generation 82-92

These were the first Camaros to have factory fuel injection, automatic transmissions and hatchback-like styline.

1982 Camaro
The front end had MacPherson Struts and the rear used a long torque arm and coil springs. Instead of the previous leaf spring suspension.

2.5L I4 90 HP
2.8L V6 112 HP
5.0L V8 145 HP
5.0L Cross Fire Injected V8 165 HP

1983/1984 Camaro
Same as 82, but all new available 5-Speed Tranny

L69 5.7L H.O. V8 190 HP

1985 Camaro
First year or the IROC-Z(International Race Of Champions).

5.0L TPI V8 215 HP(Only available in 4-Speed Automatics)

1986 Camaro
Same as above, small differences

1987 Camaro
Dropped one of the high output 5.0 motors for new IROC-Z motor. Also got rid of the 2.5L I4 for a base model V6

5.7L TPI V8 225 HP

1988 Camaro
All the Camaros came stock with spoilers. No big change.

1989 Camaro
No big differnce.

5.7L TPI V8 240 HP

1990 Camaro
The IROC was dropped and a Dodge sponsered base model engine was created.

3.1L V6 140HP

1991 Camaro
Chevy brought back the Z28 model in the Spring of 1990. The top 5.7 TPI engine now put out 245bhp.

1992 Camaro
25th Aniversary, all of them had badges. You could also get Heritage Racing stripes on these models.

Pontiac Firebird 2nd Generation 70-81

1974 Firebird
Meh, you know about Firbirds that came in Formual, Trans Am, and Super Duty 455 trim.

350 V8 155bhp.
400 V8 225 bhp @ 4000 rpm, 330 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm.
455 V8 250 bhp @ 4000 rpm, 380 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm.
455 (SD) V8 310 bhp @ 4000 rpm, 390 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

1975 Firebird
Federally mandated catalytic converters forced pontiac to get rid of the Super Duty 455 engine, Muncie Four-Speed Manual Transmission, Turbo-Hydramatic 400 automatic transmission, and true dual exhausts.

350 V8 155bhp.
400 V8 185 bhp, 310 lb-ft.
455 V8 200 bhp @ 3800 rpm, 330 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm.
455 (HO) V8 200 bhp.

1976 Firebird
Last year of the 455 engine. The year of the BLACK-N-GOLD Trans Ams, wich is what most people associate as Trans Ams. Very popular.

1977 Firebird
Square front end headlamps. Burt Reynolds drove a Black-and-Gold Special Edition Trans Am in the movie hit "Smokey and the Bandit" Skyrockted sales etc...

231 V6 105 bhp. 301 V8 135 bhp.
305 V8 (California).
350 V8 (California).
350 V8 155bhp.
400 V8 185 bhp, 310 lb-ft.
403 V8.

1978 Firebird
Same as above

1979 Firebird
A 10th Anniversary edition Trans Am was sold. Last year for the Pontiac 400 engine.

1980-1981 Firebird
Terrible years. Turbo-charged 301 (4.9 liter) V8 as its top engine choice. Insult to the 400. It pushed out 201HP. Sales dropped 40 some percent.

posted by  DSMer

lighten up, im just stating something....

posted by  mark_X

DSMer, I thought I put "I know you guys can't tell me what to buy, but I want your opinions on what you would buy." I guess I forgot and never checked the post I made afterwards. Sorry. However, I had no clue that Camaros came with an I4 and uhh..thanks for the info.

posted by  Satty101

Hmm... only problem with you answering questions about F-bodys is you think 1982-1992 was 2nd generation, which really rules you out as knowing about these vehicles.

Also all I have to say to you Satty is go with what you really want, although personally I'd rather go F-body over a beretta, but you can do things with either, so just make sure you get what you really want, and there are plenty of firebirds out there, so keep looking I'd say.

posted by  Flame Roller

Sorry to hear that Satty. But also in case you change your mind...... I found in the Nov 28th edition of the Racine Journal that there are 2 Camaros for sale. The ad says one (1980) is a parts car and the other (1979) has a rebuilt 350 and is rust free. $3900 or offer.

Interested? You should at least check with your insurance to see what it would be for that year. It might not be that bad.

If your interested, I can supply you with the phone number.

posted by  theman352001

I get that newspaper too and saw those. They sound like a pretty tgood deal, but I probably won't even have any more than 2000 for a car. I'm gonna try and get a Beretta with no body damage and possibly bad motor for a little less than a grand. BTW, have you seen my car around town at all?

http://www.glowersdistrict.com/gallery/album05

link to pics^

posted by  Satty101

[QUOTE=Satty101]....... BTW, have you seen my car around town at all?
[QUOTE]

Can't say that I have. Then again, if I asked you if you've seen a black Trailblazer with a brush guard on the front, could you say for certain that you have?

Now if you have seen an orange 914 or a yellow '69 Charger RT running around town, then that was definately me. :thumbs:

We still on for Sturtevant Auto? Hey, now that I think about it, how about a black Conquest? On the corner of Hwy 11 and Memorial. I think it is about $1000. It is in the parking lot of the car wash on the corner. Been there for a while so maybe you can get it cheaper. I know of a guy who has 2 of them so I may be able to hook you up with some parts if needed.

posted by  theman352001

HI,
HAVE AN IROC 305 WHICH I REPLACED THE STARTER BUT THE SOLENOID STILL WON'T KICK IN WHEN I TURN THE KEY.
I'M NOT SURE WHICH RELAY IS THE START RELAY OR IF THE ANTI THEFT MIGHT BE DOING SOMETHING? ANY IDEAS? THANX :banghead:

posted by  cfjackson

Hey man, you need to start a new thread for this. Your not going to get any replies if you post it in a year old thread. Post a new thread, and Ill answer your question. :thumbs:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Yeah...ity just aint cool to post in an OLD thread lol :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Try posting this in the R&M section.

posted by  StiMan

damn, I have to lock my own thread. terrific... :laughing:

posted by  Satty101

Your Message