CF Member of the Month

Home  \  Off Topic  \  CF Member of the Month

Ok! We talked about this earlier, and I have decided to put it to a vote! Vote yes to have the Member of the Month, starting January 2005, with a round table electing a outstanding member each month, and then I will make a custom sig for the winner! If the member of the month is put in place, Ill head it with Ki2AY as Assistant, and a continueously changeing group of members of the round table each month... so choose yes or no for the vote! Thanks! :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

I think it's a really good idea. I vote it a definite yes.

posted by  Patrick

sure! i've thought about it and i'd go for it. I can act as the Mod Liasion...you know, putting said graphic in the recipient's sig and all that. :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

looks good so far. 4-0. I'm in.

posted by  Satty101

Cool! You are in!

Members of Constant CF Member of the Month:
StiMan: President, Graphic Designer
Ki2ay: Assistant
SuperJew: Moderator Liasion
Who else wants to become a part of it? (If you join you are taken out of the running for MOTM...

posted by  StiMan

We should definately have it. A lot of forums do. It adds excitement and fun. Maybe it will ever straighten a few of us out and give some people something to brag about. :hi:

posted by  DodgeRida67

You mean other than who has the biggest penis, best car, best dad, etc? :orglaugh:

posted by  Satty101

All I want to know is why does Steve-o get to be the graphics designer?? :cry:

~j/k

posted by  Voda48

Because as I heard he is getting some snazzy graphic editing software for christmas and he wants to feel special. :hi: :orglaugh:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I guess the operative question here is "who give's a f*ck?". I mean come on, member of the month? If your life is so empty that this will add excitement and fun maybe it's time to log off the internet and go do something with your life.

posted by  vwhobo

Ya know, I just read this crap thread again after posting and have these questions to ask. If the "member of the month" is going to be elected by a round table, who elects the round table? Is the voting going to be done publicly where all forum members can see the results or in private where it can be skewed at will? What are the criteria for being the "motm"? Is it an objective criteria such as post count for example? If so, does a bunch of posts make someone a good member or just a post whore? If the criteria is subjective then it becomes a popularity contest. Just because someone is popular does it make them a good member? I don't think so.

Ya see boys, here's the problem. Everyone in this thread that thinks it's a good idea is a teenybopper. That's not meant as a put down, it's just a fact. As such I'm sure you haven't given this much critical thought beyond saying "that sounds kewl". Well let me tell you, you're right, it does but... It's also not a realistic undertaking. In the long run it will only cause heartache, grief and rancor among the people who think they deserve the award and maybe even do but don't win it for whatever reason.

Bottom line is it's not a good idea. Shut of your computers and go chase girls.

posted by  vwhobo

Hadnt seen you around in a while.. Ill make the general pic and give it to you to make it have animation... sound good?

vwhobo:
1) The Roundtable is elected by the constant members of MOTM (Me, Ki2AY, Voda, SJ) by the basis of overall helpfulness, quickness to help, dependability related to correctness of info given, etc.
2) "Skewed at will" on a forum Ill make on SuddenLaunch.
3) Popularity has nothing to do with it, overall correctness is very important. By chooseing a changing group to do the voting (members of the constant group cant vote) those chosen can be taken from different groups (new or old members, post whores, non post whores... etc.) we can be sure to have a unbiased and correct answer to who is the CF Member of the Month.

The choice as to whether we do it or not is here. The people of CF can vote on this for 2 weeks, and if the margin is slim, or if it is chosen not to be done after that time it wont be done if it is the latter, and a new vote will be done if it is the previous. I dont want a huge war to come out of this, but lots of Forums and people do this as a means to control the masses... :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

You still haven't answered the question, who voted for them to be the members. Oh, that's right, nobody, the just elected themselves.

Huh?

Really? Are you sure? Who determines the "overall correctness"? How can something that is judged 100% subjectively be considered "unbiased and correct"? The very nature of it makes it biased and incorrect. The same way as the members were chosen that is biased and incorrect.

So if it's shot down the subject drops but if the vote is close you'll have another vote. Will you keep voting until you get the outcome you want? Who made these decisions? Was anyone on the forum notified of these decisions before they were made? Whe decides the definition of slim margin? This is exactly the type of crap that kills clubs, associations and even businesses. A small group of people comes along and makes an arbitrary decision for a group of people. As of this writing the forum has over 6,500 members and five or six of you are doing this based on what demand. You're little self appointed group is less than one tenth of one percent of the membership of this forum. Don't you think it's just a little presumptuous of you to make this part of the forum.

People here from time to time have told me that I have a large ego but you children really take the cake.

posted by  vwhobo

Who chose to make this forum? Was that person appointed by a democratic system? No. Who said that I could become a member here? No one. If the people of CF want to put it to a vote as to who does what that is fine by me. I dont even have to head it or whatever, I am just saying we are doing something that other members said sounded worthwhile.

The members of the re-elected board that actually chooses the person to recieve the award.

By useing the collective ideas of a group that is taken from different points of CF. Not just by chooseing my friends, or post whores, or mods. By getting a variety of people to be on the board.

No, the point of another vote is so that if the idea of MOTM wins by a slim margin Ill make a new vote so that if they really do want it or not it will be obivious. If it looses by a small margin or a large one it doesnt get done, if it wins by a slim margin, then I think it would not be fair to have something that is not supported by a large amount. If MOTM wins by a small percentage then Ill do another vote to make sure it wins by a large margin, or it looses by a small or a large margin. I just dont want to cause trouble.

Seeing as though I made the decision to put it to a democratic vote as to whether or not this carries, I made the decisions relating to the ideas for the voting process of MOTM.

No. I made up the idea of creating the board (not the idea of MOTM) and the chooseing process, so I decided that I had the right to create the process to bring it to life.

Ill though out an idea: how about 5%? Sound good?

We have not made a decision. If I simply said: "CF MOTM starts in January 2005." That would be making a decision, I put it to a vote. So that the people of CF make the decision, not me. I have not made it a part of the forum. I have said that it would be cool to have, and through out the idea of the logistics in the form of a vote.

We dont need to fight over this. If it doesnt pass, it doesnt pass. Thats fine, but we dont need to argue so much! I am trying to just defend my point. If it is decided that it shouldnt happen it wont. I dont want to destroy CF; I was thinking that this would perhaps put down more of the mutiny in the members.
:thumbs:
:2cents:

posted by  StiMan

Alright.

Our lives may not be so empty as to need "MOTM" for excitement and fun, but this forum sure as hell does. Don't speak to us about logging off and doing something with our lives. After all, you have the highest number of posts, which is fine, but that pretty much disqualifies you from leading that type of discussion.

It's safe to say I was the first to say to do this in another thread. Go find it. Having said that, there are thousands upon thousands of forums on the internet that have this member of the week, month, and year crap. Life is full of games and the like. There are winners, there are losers. I'll go so far as to say this, even though this is corny. Everyone who tried is a winner. The losers are the ones who bring heartache and grief upon themselves over losing. It's part of life. Get over it.

There are over 6,500 members on this forum, however, maybe, say, 20-30 actually visit this place and post. That's a wild guess, give or take. So no, it's not really presumptuous. As I write this, we have had 9 votes on the subject. Give or take that equates about 1/2-1/3 of the active members of this forum.

I do agree that it's crap for a few members to decide all these rules. I think it should be like this: I think the "round table" should be the moderators, and they should make up the rules. This is my opinion.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Ok. If people want me to hand over the reigns of MOTM to the mods Ill do it. Just say if you want me to. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

It's not up to me. It's up to them. Mods?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Bottom line is this is not only something that nobody asked for, it's also something that will never pass using your numbers. But I'll agree with your numbers so now you have to stick to them. In two weeks this has to be passed by at least 5% of the membership, which means you have to get 325 more yays than nays based on todays membership. In two weeks it'll probably be closer to 340 votes. Good luck.

BTW, why didn't you just state clearly in your first post of this thread that you only want people to respond if they agree with you. It's a known fact that in a situation like this the dissenting voice is seldom wrong, just out shouted. At any rate you better start stuffing the ballot box to get your 325ish vote margin.

posted by  vwhobo

Have you ever heard the old saying figures lie and liars figure? Well you just got caught in it. While it is true that I have more posts than you or anyone else on this forum, you and many others have a higher post per day count than I do. You do the math. As for what I do with my time, I just got back today from a couple of days partying and relaxing in Charleston while you were here typing for excitement and fun. Those are your words after all.

I don't care about winners and losers myself, that seems to be your area of concern. My concern is that people are posting for the right reasons, not to be voted positively for by some unsanctioned entity. If you find the popularity contests on these other forums to be so enticing, then just go spend your time there instead of here. Problem solved.

Finally, we agree on something... but not completely. More to the point most of the mods very seldom participate here anymore, so how do they make anthing that looks like a competent decision? On the other hand unless you get 325 more yays than nays in two weeks this is all without a point, so let's just wait and see.

posted by  vwhobo

Well, Adam has abandon the place, so the mods have the highest authority above everyone else. It's safe to say they run the place.

Look, I don't see a problem with having member of the month. I really don't and neither do thousands of other forums. I think the signature picture thing was over the top. We don't need that crap. All we need is a simple "thank you" to an outstanding member who went out of his/her way to help people on these forums. That's what it would be about.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I have a much better solution to your dilemma. Why don't people, when they get help or assistance, just say thank you. How many times have you seen me bitch at someone for not extending that common courtesy to me after I've typed three paragraghs answering a question or helping them understand something. Last I checked none of us get paid to do this but some of us should.

Your MOTM won't cure the problem, if anything it will make it worse because you WON'T be able to recognise everyone that deserves acknowledgement. Typing thank you after someone assists you would cover all the bases AND make the bogus little award uneeded. Simple, huh? Just teach everyone manners.

posted by  vwhobo

Good solution. However...

Look at these things you said, and think about it.
"How many times have you seen me bitch at someone for not extending that common courtesy to me after I've typed three paragraghs answering a question or helping them understand something."

"Your MOTM won't cure the problem, if anything it will make it worse because you WON'T be able to recognise everyone that deserves acknowledgement."

So here, it would work like this; The ones that didn't get thanked, will get thanked.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Ya, I thought that too. However, I think everyone should get thanked on here. well, excluding most of "What"'s posts (He does have a couple that are actually worth a damn). However, it's impossible for everyone to have manners. We all lack in one type of manners or another. I, don't keep my elbows off the table when I'm eating, I don't always say thanks, I don't say please, and there's more I'm sure. But regardless, some of you may do all these things but don't hold the door for other people. IDK, all I know is this is a way to thank one member at a time, each month. This, just like any other thing we try to do, has it's up and downs.

posted by  Satty101

You hit the nail on the head there. That's a perfect point. Everything has it's good and it's bad.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Now if you read the last two posts you'll find they both say the same thing in different ways. The sole purpose of this MOTM is to be a bandaid on a broken arm. Pointless! :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

I tried. But I give up. You know what? To hell with the whole thing. We won't give special thanks where special thanks is needed. We won't give special credit when special credit is due. We will just continue to arque with each other and tell each other how stupid the other person is. I withdraw my idea. I hope you are happy. It was very selfish of you to ruin this and I don't want to hear about it. Have a nice day.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Im with you. Screw this MOTM thing... its tearing us all apart. It could have been fun, but vwhobo is right. Its completely pointless to try to fix the problems of CF. I would really like it if a mod locked this thread. I consider this case closed. Sorry to those that thought that this was a bad idea; I liked it but I think that we should just put this behind us. Even if MOTM was put in place by votes, I couldnt feel good about it if many people in CF were unhappy about it.

Sti

posted by  StiMan

Oh, okay, take your ball and go home. It's very selfish of you to think that just because you want something that everyone should. This whole charade wasn't about doing something to make others feel special, it's all about making yourselves fell special.

Thank you for wanting to do something to improve the forum. This thank you is especially noteworthy after the inauspicious you had here. Remember, not too long ago you were one of the people who you now so detest. It's good to see you being concerned for the overall welfare of the community now and it's good to see you're a productive and helpful member. But also keep in mind that some of the words above describe your actions as well. We're all imperfect and sometimes over react to the stupidity displayed here everyday. If you don't believe me look at your last few posts regarding Twhat. Never the less thank you for the good things, and the not so good things that you do here on a regular basis. You are an important part of this dysfunctional family.

Yes I'm right but I think you missed the point that I'm right about. It's not what you want to do, it's the way you're going about doing it. And don't for a minute think that this would fix the problems of CF, thay are far to deeply rooted to repair especially without active leadership. Still I want to thank you as well for your attempt, or more correctly intent to do something good for this community. You, as is DR67 and several others, are an important part of this dysfuntional family of ours. I guess we're all threads that make up this dirty old rag known as Car-Forums.com.

Finally, don't be mad fellas, be glad. Be glad that we can have this confrontation, this family feud if you will and tomorrow come back here and still be virtual friends. After all, for those of us that are here for the long haul, isn't that what it's really all about? Think about it... and have a nice day!

posted by  vwhobo

I'm happy. Not mad, I'm glad. I think this was the healthiest discussion thats been in these forums for awhile. Alright, I'm done with this thread. :mrgreen:

posted by  DodgeRida67

hey....this thread should be monumentalised in some way. argument, but no flaming! genius! :thumbs:

okay, time to lock this bitch up.

posted by  SuperJew

well, that was odd. Never even thought about that. :screwy:

posted by  Satty101

i think we should have the motm. SHIT, LETS HAVE A LIL FUN IN HERE. ATLEATS THEN THE MEMBERES HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK UP TO AND PUT THEIR MINDS ON SOMETHING ELSE BESIDES FLAMING. WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE? ARE WE WORRIED THAT WE WILL START MORE FLAMES? SHIT, THIS WHOLE FORUM IS FILLED WITH FLAMES ALREADY. SO I SAY WE SHOULD TAKE THE CHANCE AND GO FOR IT. if it dosnt turn out good then lets drop it. the MOTM should be focus on the respect one person has along with, his/her knowledge, activeness, and how helpful he or she is during the peroid. One thing I don’t agree on is that, I don’t think I should be involve in any of this (although i am flattered being an assistant if this does actually go through). its not that i dont want to (heck* i dont mind) I just don’t think im the best person to choose who should be motm. there are other people out there more suitable for the job such as dodge since he is the one who mentioned it in the first place.

I really think we should continue on with this MOTM thing. just because a member dosnt agree with it dosnt mean we have to discontinue the whole thing. Majority has it 9-5. this is not an act to try to fix CF, its just for entertaintment plain simple. And we are not doing this because our life is so empty thinking this will bring excitement to our lives. If you think of it, posting in forums is some what of an excitement, its something to entertain your self why else do people post here if they wasn’t entertained by it in the first place? Think of it as an up grade to CF to have more excitement.

posted by  Ki2AY

My opinion stays the same, even though VWhobo did raise some good points. I still say go for it.

posted by  Satty101

I say we go along with what your spokesman said a few days ago. You have until the end of the poll to have 325 more yays than nays. If you don't the subject drops. Like it or don't that's the deal that was made, by him.

posted by  vwhobo

Actually you misunderstood me. I said the percentiles next to the votes had to be more than 5% apart (In MOTM's Favor) to create a final MOTM in CF.
EX: Right now it is: 9-5 MOTM Percentiles: 64.29% to 35.71%
The percentiles next to the numbers NOT the percentiles of the number of members at CF. The 5% of members of CF is nearly impossible due to the fact that there are many members added per day creating the question of which number to go by, and the fact that only about 2.5% (?) of the number of members actually come to the forum.

10 Days left.

posted by  StiMan

Uh, no. If you felt that I misunderstood you then you should have said so three days ago, instead of asking for the thread to be closed. By allowing that thread to stand you validated the numbers. By changing your mind now you are changing the rules of engagement... Rules that you made and I agreed to. By doing so you, and anyone who follows your lead, are displaying a total lack of fair play, character and integrity.

posted by  vwhobo

sorry, Hobo, but I'm reading this thread 3 days later and I understood Sti's comment to mean a 5% margin with people who actually cast their votes. :hi: DR did in fact point out to you that only about 20 - 30 people actively post on this forum (estimate might be a little low, but not by much :ohcrap: ) and you didn't quite address it.

My problem with this idea, though, is the logistics of it. For instance, other than two or three people who have the goods to actually educate others on this forum, most of us are in some phase or the other of learning about cars. Does that mean only those two or three people will be in the running for MOTM each month? Or will we have to relax the requirements, which will in turn lead to the MOTM being pretty much meagre and inferior?

Secondly, there are multiple forums on the site with people choosing to mainly post on one or the other. When you appoint a MOTM, will you be doing so knowing that many readers from some forums, so to speak, won't be particularly familiar with the chosen MOTM?

Now at this point, it gets a little sticky. You'd obviously need someone who knows their stuff to be on the MOTM executive team, to scrutinize the advice given by the nominees in order to determine if it was mostly worthless fluff that would actually cost posters thousands rather than help them. Of course, this means that the person who would have easily won the MOTM award would have to take themselves out of the running in order to fulfil this duty. Seems unfair.

And yes, I also agree that helpful people are not getting thanked enough as is. Hopefully DR is right and this could be a way to do so.

posted by  JaneiR36

Good that I wasnt the only one who understood it.

Right now we are just working on seeing if the thing will pass. If it does the constant council of MOTM will meet on the separate forum Ill make and we will hammer out the rules. :thumbs:

That is why we will pick members from all over to choose the MOTM so that there is atleast one person on the board who sees all forums. It doesnt matter if people dont know him or her, it is about their expertise and willingness to help others.

Thanks for posting!
9(?) days left.

posted by  StiMan

Sorry Jane, but while your opinion is noted it is only your opinion. Your opinion that you didn't feel the need to share until three days after the fact. In real life that is known as being a Monday morning quarterback. And you are correct DR67 did point that out but there are two flaws with that argument. First, he's not the self appointed spokesman for this self appointed group so he was just chiming in with his opinion. Second, if his numbers of "20-30" carries so much weight then the fact that I put up the number of 325 at least twice carries twice the weight. I might add that even after posting the number 325 twice it went uncontested, until three days after the fact. Until three days after everyone said forget the idea and quit. Until three days after the thread was locked and the only person who complained about that was me. Do you see a pattern here? The fact that the margin of 325 went uncontested validates it as a correct and fair number.

You understood it as 325, until you changed your mind. Remember the words uncontested, twice the weight and validated. Also keep in mind the words integrity and character (or lack thereof).

It won't. You need a margin of 325ish votes.

Who will pick the members, the non-elected, self appointed group? That is a farce and a slap in the face to every other member of this forum.

Finally kids, tell me who said this several posts up.

Oops, I let the cat out of the bag. Yes, that is taken slightly out of context but it gets the point across, THE PEOPLE OF CF. It says nothing about a select group of 20-30 people. It says nothing about a group of people who are selected by the self appointed ones. I'm all for an open vote which will end in another 9 days. By your self appointed spokesman's own numbers it takes a margin of 5% OF THE PEOPLE OF CF. If it's such a good idea, what are you afraid of? An idea this grand, that has been requested by so many people should win by a landslide of at least 1,000 votes, no problem.

Last thought. You can lie to yourselves. You can lie to each other. But you can't lie to me. And no matter what, you still know you're lying. Think about it... And have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

Wait, wait, wait, "feel the need"?!? I just told you that I'd just read and responded to it. And are we talking about football or something that could possibly take months to work out the details?

But it was an opinion nonetheless that went in direct conflict to yours. Why did you not address it? I think this was a case of you trying to dazzle us with numbers. You threw out the figure knowing it was meaningless in context but hoping they would throw their hands up in the idea and throw out the idea on a technicality -- the sheer impossiblity of ever coming up with that number. This just reminds me of some moron online that was saying, "oh! In America they have 11,XXX murders per year! It's such an awful country!!!" Hello?!??! You little ass, how many murders are there in YOUR country and how many people are there overall in BOTH countries? See, numbers don't mean SQUAT unless they are put in context and if you insist on not doing so then they are worthless to the current situation.

Agreed. What is two times zero?

a) So now anything that goes uncontested is correct?

b) Why do you insist that DR's mention of 20-30 does not fit the parameters of contest you so heavily demand?

Anyhoos, I do think the forum is not quite ready for something like this. We need more active members and knowledgeable people for the award to be worth a thing. Else the award would simply become who's nice. Hey, if we renamed it that it might be an incentive for increased niceness on this forum. I know we sure could use a little more of that. :thumbs: And since niceness is totally subjective there won't be the need to take care of the technical aspect and we can move in on that territory when we are truly ready.

posted by  JaneiR36

Why I did not contest the idea of the "325": my internet continuously cut out that day. (As it does often) That is why on the post related to What court date I posted twice. I posted about the 325 multiple times, but it never showed up. Thus I gave up and made the post asking for the whole thing to end.

20-30: I have no clue what this goes back to.

5%: 5% of the votes, not of members. You misunderstood, thats all that matters. It is nearly impossible to get 325 votes let alone a margin of 325 votes between the two numbers. That doesnt even make sense. It is obvious to everyone here now that 325 members of CF are not active, and if they are they dont look at all boards.

This vote is being done by the members of CF, so the entire thing is chosen by them. If you choose to have it the members of the Board will go as posted previously. The members of the constant board are chosen by me, the leader, so I know I can have members that I know I can work well with.

If it doesnt pass that is fine by me. :thumbs:

8(?) days left.

posted by  StiMan

DR basically said we only have 20 - 30 active members.

If you must go through with this (getting the votes as a condition for starting MOTM), at least post a notice in the other boards asking people to come here and vote so everyone gets a chance to voice their opinion on the subject. Be sure and include some kind of option for people who are not voting one way or the other because they think they idea of MOTM is preposterous. :screwy: Hey, just playing the Devil's Advocate :laughing:

posted by  JaneiR36

My opinion:

This MOTM thing is really quite childish and a waste...there is nothing we mods can offer the MOTM that is of any worth other than a "pat on the back." Plus...the "committee" is not the best idea.

Now if we had admin capabilities...then there MIGHT be something to offer.

Waste of time and cyberspace.

posted by  BavarianWheels

It's amazing how great and mature minds think alike. Even JaneiR36 is mostly agreeing with this. I bet she's closer to us in age than the teenysomethings who have made this their life crusade. At least until there's another roadblock and they can throw up their hands and quit... AGAIN.

posted by  vwhobo

Quick, tell me who said this;

Now think about the words honesty, integrity and character. Thank you for your time.

posted by  vwhobo

Hey. I asked for the thing to stop and be closed. It was someone else who brought up the whole thing again after it was unlocked, but since it has been. I want to try to go through with it. If it doesnt work thats fine. I just think that it is something that could potentially help CF to become closer together and create a wanting to help everyone. If there was an admin that was working I could certainly turn it over to the mods with the admin as the chairman of MOTM, but since there is no admin, the board has been compiled of a mod, a regular member as chairman, and a regular member as a assistant chairman. If wanted Ill make a post in the other boards asking people to come to this thread. Thanks for everyones time!

7(?) days left.

posted by  StiMan

"I have decided", "I will make a custom sig", "Ill head it". Those are your words and nobody elses. Did anyone ask you to do these things? I think not. The last time I checked there was no "I" in team. You want all of these things to happen as long as "I" am in charge.

While we're at it Twinkie, look at the body and the context of the post. This is a perfect example of a biased viewpoint, much the same as a loaded question. In the second sentence you began explaining at length the benefits why people should vote yes. In the forth sentence you again said to chose yes.. and then made your first mention of no with no explanation of what no meant. That is biased, tilted, slanted, whichever adjective you care to apply. What it is not is accurate and fair.

And I asked for it to be reopened, not so you could change your mind (does the phrase flip-flopper ring a bell?) but so others could have their say in the matter. It's called being FAIR, a concept that people like you don't seem to grasp (see the wording of your first post for an example).

Remember, YOU rare the one who gave up and said you didn't want to do it. How much commitment does that show? That's a rhetorical question because we all know the answer is little to none.

Thanks for everyone's time and have a great day.

posted by  vwhobo

Again a very predictable response from Hobo. I just got here and i hate this guy. I think a motm would be fine. Its not like your winning money here hobo, its just a thing. Perhaps you have a dream of becoming the first MOTM and if your not suicide could be in your future. If people want a MOTM then they will work it out. A board will have to be chosen by the inventor of the idea. That board may then discuss how to operate the idea fairly. This is how "all-the-way USA" was started, why couldn't it work here? Oh, and btw, your flair for writing posts, your grammer, your use of words beyond your control are amusing, but unimpressive. Okie dokie twinkie.

posted by  hi.alt.perform

:banghead:

Just got here and you hate him? You hate him because he doesn't allow anyone to spew BS around these forums. If you do he will call you out, that way whoever reads what crap you posted won't take it for the truth. I used to be in your shoes when I first got here, and if it wasnt for Hobo I'd still be just like you.

posted by  DodgeRida67

And I give a sh*t about what you think because of why? So far in the short time you've been on this forum all you have done is give lousy advice and whine. My suggestion to you is to slink away and don't come back. Alternetely you could take the time to actually learn something about cars and become a productive member of this forum. The choice is yours.

BTW, repeating my phraseology and nicknames displays just how little intelligence and imagination you have. Have a nice day Skippy.

posted by  vwhobo

You see, people like him are the ones that piss me off. They come here talking through their ass, I or somone else yells at them. Now all of a sudden they have an errection for you. What is up with these people? These little needledicks need to grow up. Anywhos...

This whole basis of the MOTM thing seems completly unfounded. The idea was halfbaked when it came out of whomevers head it did, and it sure as hell has'nt gotten any better since. You keep getting more and more promises added to it. The "were going to do this, and this is going to happen". I'm just supposed to expect a "committee" to appear out of nowhere? Haha, thats almost as ludicrous as NewYork Calfornia creating their own branch of federal government.

While there may only be a few handfulls of activley posting members, our leaders(as JaneiR36 said) are laking in numbers. According to forum rules, are'nt those people who have memberships at CF still members? Irregardless to whether they activley post or not? If so, should Adam be counted out for anything pertaining to these forums because he no longer post here?

The foundation for this entire MOTM is more like soggy concrete mix. There are to many loopholes, and unanswered questions to the thing. Not to mention the bias and impartial treatment that could become of it. vwhobo was right. This was a childish thing to fill the void in the CF life. A mere bandaid for a broken arm. While DodgeRida presented many reasonable oppositions, the entire MOTM is just unrealistic and far too phantasmagoric to ever be put in to play.

I say give it up, because the terms of engagement, that somehow got agreed upon[don't know how that happened], are only stacked against the creation of MOTM.

posted by  DSMer

Same for me. I was put on probation once because of an argument Hobo and I got into..

As to MOTM: I also think that it is a bad idea. I tried to see if it may work, but I dont think that I can get it to work. I think we need someone who believes entirely in the MOTM system for it to work, and, frankly, I dont. I have seen it work in some places, but in many it doesnt. I just believed that I should try to push for it because it sounded like a good idea, but now that I have seen all aspects I dont think it could work with the small percentage of members that are active at CF. Anybody who wants to be "President of CF MOTM" and speaker just take it up.

Sti :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

A MOTM sounds like fun. It could push more people to give their insight on cars, Is there a prize at all or can they just brag? I would love to be a judge but since I'm new round here I highly doubt it. So how about it? :hi:

posted by  GoftheH

I feel like I should put in my :2cents: now...

I still think it is a good idea, and I'm not going to stray from that. however, I can accept defeat. no conditions, though. even if it is defeated by one vote, fine. consider it dead. its not my fault that 2 more people didn't vote for it to make it win. look at the past two presidential elections - the votes were unbelievably close, yet there was still a winner. we need to accept that there is a winner and a loser no matter how close the vote is.

posted by  SuperJew

In other words... COME ON PEOPLE VOTE OR DIE!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

posted by  Ki2AY

I can accept defeat, but I dont really care about it anymore. I surrender all of my powers as the "President" to anyone who wants them. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

If I voted, it would be against.

But since I don't vote. This post is moot. :banghead:

I don't vote on these polls. But, for this one I will make an exception. I want to see how all these 12 and 16 yr olds will handle democracy. They may like the smell of the shit they are stirring in the pot. I vote yes. :laughing: :laughing:

Damn, I HATE THIS FREAKING SOFTWARE !!!!!!!!

posted by  lectroid

Oo... its 50/50... who is going to take up the powers as MOTM Chair? If it does go yes, there kinda has to be someone to head it up. :screwy: :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

i think you should be the head since you were the one to put effort in making this happen or atleats trying.
dodge can be ur assistance he also brought the subject up first.
mazda6man can be in it because he is the definition of a good CF member in my eyes.
the mods can help out if they wish.
if we do win, you guys can figure out the rules and regulations and how this will work out.
ie. are you guys going to choose a certain amount of members who should be MOTM and us memebrs will vote on a poll, or are you guys going to vote who is going to be MOTM by yourselves.

~as for the MOTM there should be a reward we can give.. what i was thinking is giving him the "CF's MOTM" under his avatar for a month. (better than nothing).

posted by  Ki2AY

(To the part in bold): Now this is true. And since anyone posting wrong information is immediately shouted down, the mere fact that a newbie is still helping others with his/her knowledge and is still respected by anyone should automatically mean something. This means, of course, that we can't have a bunch of n00bs in the committee, else the current "we hate ____" jerkwads of the month could quickly turn it all to crap.

I say we throw out more ideas for rewarding the MOTM (in addition to Ki2AY's). Some decent suggestions might convince more people to get on board.

The committee doesn't have to be in place before voting ends. If this passes, interested parties could iron it out after the fact. All you need now is an idea that makes sense to prospective voters :thumbs:

posted by  JaneiR36

i voted for yes... but i realize, who ever wins motm, it would only give them the idea that they can be cocky or cocky...er... and you know that theres a chance of flamewars probably devoloping from people who dont agree with the winner.

posted by  mazda6man

You may be on to something, mazdaman. How about, as a reward, we have it rigged, so that the MOTM "wins" any flame wars for let's say a week. That person gets the final word and whatever they say goes (non-technical, of course). Of course, I can already see a problem with this -- we can't force people to respect the MOTM, and even if we were interested in using member suspension to shut the other party up, we do not have admin priviledges to do so. But I still think it's a good idea. With editting by the mods or some kind of honor system, we may be able to get around that. There's of course also the issue of the very frustrating censorship, but we should be able to live with that... for a week, anyway :hi:

posted by  JaneiR36

i wish adam still showd up everynow and then... never see him any more... i remember, "back in the day" there was an actual reward for something... back when this forum was a young lass, there was a contest to see who could get to a 100 posts first. the prize was a $50 online giftcard to either buy.com or amazon.com... dont remember exactly... oh, and just for kicks, can you guys guess who won it? haha... anyways...nothing really comes from the MOTM, but i guess we could do it just for kicks... right?

posted by  mazda6man

Yes. And who knows, if we could resuscitate(sp) this place, perhaps Adam would actually show up once in a while and have something to do.

I read from one of the mods that he was here about a month ago. Figures. He probably has to check in occasionally to manage the banners so that the companies are not getting unpaid and indefinite advertizing............

posted by  JaneiR36

We could allways try a MOTM system. And if it doesn't work and people flame each other and stuff like that... get rid of the system.

posted by  Bubba

If you feel like snooping in on him from time to time to see when he was last on, just look at his profile and it will say when he last logged on.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/member.php?u=1

posted by  DodgeRida67

oh :oops:

posted by  JaneiR36

im with bubba... its worth a try, and what do we have to lose for?? we have nothing to lose. what, are we concern about more flame wars? heck* id rather give it a shot.

posted by  Ki2AY

More on rewarding the MOTM. How about a sticky'd biography of sorts. It could be a short write-up about the person's history on CF. Outstanding help rendered, any major achievements since being on CF, a little on the person's love for and view of cars, and then maybe any additional hobbies and personal details they would like included. It could be like a short article, spliced with pics of the MOTM's favorite cars, current car, mods, etc. Do we have any writers on here?

Back to the issue of voting for the MOTM. I just realized, if we have everyone vote for him/her, it won't be a surprise when the winner is announced. It would also be more of a popularity contest. I say we put a lot of thought into selecting the MOTM board (which is not set in stone as of yet), and go from there.

posted by  JaneiR36

Great. A damn popularity contest. More proof that we haven't left high school here, have we?

I voted no, and the reasons have already been adequately covered here.

posted by  ChrisV

i have a solution.. people that disagrees with the idea will never be voted MOTM. and as for the rest of us so high schoolers, we'll have our lil teeny booper popularity contest. that way both sides will win. :laughing:

posted by  Ki2AY

ChrisV, it sucks that we lost your vote, so to speak. However (and totally after the fact, of course), does any kind of recognition, no matter how its done, have to be just a popularity contest? Throughout life, people are given recognition and awards for their accomplishments and their contribution to their communities. Although it does in fact involve popularizing the awardee, it usually can be very tasteful when done appropriately. Is there any circumstance under which you could see this as more than a popularity contest?

posted by  JaneiR36

That would be the reason that hobo is making the point of bias... I would head the commitee if MOTM wins after the vote, etc, if you all want... I think we should get the votes done with and then think about the board... :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

Well... the poll is closed and MOTM for CF is not going to be done. I ask that all board members remove any Board tags, etc. because it didnt pass. I said I would drop it so I will. Thanks for trying! :thumbs: :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

What's a board tag?

Yes, the proposition failed with "Let's have it!" coming in 11.25% shy of the required margin. Thanks all for playing :thumbs:

posted by  JaneiR36

much thanks goes to STIMAN for giving it a shot and making an effort. :thumbs:

posted by  Ki2AY

Board Tag: Some of the members of the Ill-fated MOTM Board put Tags supporting MOTM on there sigs, etc. I was just asking for those to be removed.

Ki2AY: I didnt do anything, you came up with the idea in the beginning... It was worth a shot! Thanks for the votes! :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Ah, like a campaign, eh? Personally I didn't want to say anything (like posting on the general board, etc) because I wasn't sure of our forum demographics.... ie, you don't want to publicize the event to people who will vote against the proposition. What can I say, politics is dirty :laughing:

posted by  JaneiR36

Almost as dirty as someone I can think of. Anywhos, why you all are still on this subject boggles my mind. Let it go people, its over.....

posted by  DSMer

It sure is over!

Your Message