For the Record

Home  \  Off Topic  \  For the Record

I know this may prickle some people, but in fairness I need to clear up something. While you lot have been tearing each other to pieces over a member who did in fact plagiarise an article and trying to demonise the apparant whistleblower I have been remiss in visiting this site and revealing that it is I who alerted not just one, but three members of the forum that copyriight infringement had probably occurred.

Following this the offender did remove the content. I thought I had PM'd allies of the member so that it could disappear mysteriously. Unfortunately instead of taking the lead and laying doggo for a while the plagiarist went on the attack and inflamed the wrong member.

Now I am ambivalent as to the various factions that infest this forum. And God knows there are many ignorant people here who imply they are engineers and so forth, but cover their tracks with abusive and taunting posts when wrong footed. However as a regular writer for various auto sites I do take exception to my work being copy&pasted without at least a salutation for my writings/calculators/javascripts etc published under my real name . To this end I'm sure the original author of the article would have been offended to say the least, should I have emailed him instead of a few members.

I must say I admire the fact I have not been mentioned in the various dispatches. I do however lament that the two other members who received the imformation from me did not have the fortitude to come to the defence of the member being accused of BS after the fact at the hands of a senior moderator.

Of course this is supposing the original writer is not the member in question.

I guess its my turn to be witch hunted again?

posted by  Wally

It's good to see someone that actually uses a thesaurus around here.

posted by  BavarianWheels

And that from a countryman of the author who wrote Tales of Mystery and Imagination? I'm unsure if Marvel Comics have short storied Edgar Allen Poe's short stories, but maybe it's more your style.

posted by  Wally

Maybe Dr Seuss is more my speed.

I got you...all but this part.

What?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Is he saying that he noticed the "plagerized" material days before DR even posted about it? Is he actually saying that he sent a PM to people who were "allies" with vwhobo including a serior moderator about the plagerism and that after that happened the threads mysteriously dissapeared?

Well whatever. As Jane pointed out, there are only two possible outcomes of this story. By making one evident or lack thereof making one evident. There is only one other outcome that could be possible.

posted by  DSMer

Yes he is saying that the material was recognised instantly. After some deliberation he then PM'd three members who seemed interested in the topic. The content was subsequently removed. DR appears to have remained silent on the issue until provoked into revealing the secret. Neither of the other two respondants appear to have assisted DR when he was being hammered as they should have.

At the time another thread about member's real names was being discussed and the there was a thought that the member had inadvertantly revealed his true identity.

The four or so serial posts were verbatum from the published article. I should also say that I don't necessarily agree with the contents of the article which spurred me to compare the source in the first place.

posted by  Wally

Here's a copy of the PM to DR, sans the member's name:

Horsepower and Torque

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Interestingly similar to the one "member" posted as his own

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/868/

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1318

How do you spell verbatum? His real name must be John Baechtel otherwise he plagiarised the article.

posted by  Wally

This is at least the third thread going on this subject. One got closed, one is close to being closed, and this one...as Wally has made his point will also soon be closed.

We can't keep this up for much longer CF'ers.

Agreed. I just wanted people to know that DR did act with restraint.

posted by  Wally

Why Bavarian wheels? Give me one legitimate reason why this should be closed. Tell me that there are forum rules being broken here. Go ahead and lie. Put your opinion into a judgemental decision that should have all feelings left aside. I want to hear what you reason is for this thread to be closed...

What are you going to keep closing threads, one after another because YOU don't agree with the topic? Is that what this has come to Bav? You can keep attempting to hide the light if you want, but just remember threads never go away.... As you can see vwhobos thread from nearly a year ago re-surfaced. As will these....

posted by  DSMer

this information has nothing to do with the topic..

although wally rarely post anything he is the person that helps people by PM's. when i was new here i posted a topic under the repair section, he PM'd me and told me what the solution might be. im sure he has helped other people to. i asked him why dosnt he post, he told me the same thing he is saying right now about the forum.

thats all........

posted by  Ki2AY

Sure.

It's circular and not condusive to the forum.

I'd close this bitch. I'm sick of these damn drama topics. CAR-forums.com, that's the name, right? You all act like f*ckin' women.

But this is off-topic. I don't f*cking care. Leave it.

posted by  What

Once again that is my point! We all need to settle down. Once again I think I have to say I agree with What. Strange, isnt it?

posted by  StiMan

Your Message