Psychology Experiment/Poll

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Psychology Experiment/Poll

A friend and I are doing an "experiment" per se, and as required by the teacher, you have to agree to the statement of consent:
The experiment I am about to complete will be used for research purposes only. There are no known risks to participating in this study. I consent my participation in this psychology experiment. I have been informed, as much as possible, concerning the procedures and I understand that I may withdraw at any time before or during the experiment, at my option. I understand that all the research and evaluation material will be confidentially maintained. Recognizing the importance of avoiding bias in the results of this experiment, I agree not to discuss any of the details of the procedure with other participants.

By emailing me your answer (please do not post the answers here, as this needs to be random and confidential), you electronically agree to the above statement. The experiment is as follows: "Should religion be taught in schools?"

E-mail your answer to: thethirdeye@comcast.net. All I need is a first name, as proof. Thanks!

posted by  ThirdeYe

What religion and what schools?

posted by  Wally

Like teach the different kinds of religions and how they vary? to show children to respect other cultures? then maybe.... whatever

but to teach one specific religion like christianity obviously ****ing not.

posted by  shev

So then that's a no, shev? Because they sure as hell won't be able to feature all the religions on the planet. Not even all the popular ones in the US. Not to mention, it's probably the most heavily funded ones that'll show up in the classrooms!

(think we're ruining the guy's study? eh... probably)

posted by  JaneiR36

It wasn't meant to be that specific, just all schools, and all religions.

posted by  ThirdeYe

Doesn't matter, you won't have an honest representative, it's not a random poll. A random poll is one where you assign everyone in your state a number and get some random numbers. and get those people. Sorry.

But, i will enter your survey.

posted by  Godlaus

So rather than just some good old fashioned scriptures you think there is enough time to teach all religions to school kids.... good luck to you.

Maybe it would be more prudent to teach something like Aesop's Fables and let students build whatever religion that suits there fancy on those as a foundation?

I thought the great American spiritual way was founded on some novel idea of puritanic Pilgrims, who had moved first to Holland and then to the colonies to continue following the scriptures free from interference (and persecution) of the organised church heirachy? So surely to preserve this fundamental the Mayflower Compact should be enforced?

posted by  Wally

obviously not all the religions on the planet. just maybe go around the world with a map and generally describe some of the major religions in areas to 1st graders or something. otherwise it's a pretty dumb idea.

posted by  shev

>>No<<

posted by  Nichol Bolas

posted by  JaneiR36

Once again, no.

posted by  Nichol Bolas

Correct me if im wrong, ebonics is slang black people talk like? derived from the word ebony having to do with black people. and then how they got in our country.....I hope you arent referring to black people there you racist bastard.

and then:
hmmmmmmm why theyre still here? they as in people, not it's like ebonics. again, you racist bastard, and what, you want them all shipped out?

posted by  shev

Oh, and i change my answer from "maybe...whatever" to no, religion should be completely kept out of schools.

off topic, once some guy came to different classes in my middle school and handed out bibles. then kids got in trouble for burning them.

posted by  shev

They probably shouldn't have got in trouble, but they clearly forgot their option not to accept the gifts to begin with. Couldn't hurt to teach 'em a little respect.

posted by  JaneiR36

I believe that religion should be taught in schools. Not the whole aspect of each religion but the basics on what each believes and perhaps how it came about. And perhaps not in elementary school but perhaps late middle - early high school when kids are becoming more independent. I'm talking about a one semester class here or a section in the Social Studies curriculum

There are a number of reasons for my opinion:
1) Most kids are brought up with one religion depending on what religion the parents follow / decide to bring up the kid with. By teaching different religions in school, the kid will be exposed to the others and can then make an informed choice on their own.
2) It may give the kid a better understanding of different cultures by understanding the religions that are dominant in those cultures.
3) School is for learning, understanding, and exploring. Religion is a major part of the world today. The kids should understand religion instead of having vague stereotypes from random people.

posted by  theman352001

Excellent points.

I probably wouldn't want my [hypothetical] kid going to school and converting to another religion, though. Informed or not :laughing:

posted by  JaneiR36

:doh: Wow, what results. I wasn't looking for a debate, just a simple yes or no. For instance, if you have a teacher that talks about references from the bible, etc. Should that be allowed? No need to take this so literally

posted by  ThirdeYe

Various religions ARE taught about in schools, in social studies and World Cultures classes. My stepson just went though a class like that in 7th grade, where various different religious cultures were examined, theri regional history, and some basic differences. No judgement was made on which is right or wrong, or which is better, just where they came from and what the basic differences are.

Any further information needed, the students are told to ask their particular religious leaders about.

posted by  ChrisV

The problem is you think this is an issue that is so unimportant as to merit a mere yes or no. The issue is neither simple nor unimportant.

posted by  ChrisV

there are theology classes, i think some in high school. and i think all freshmen in highschool have a world cultures class, probably varies state to state.

posted by  shev

Here, let me convert my replies then. *changes posts*

posted by  Nichol Bolas

double post, why isnt there a "delete" button next to the reply and edit?

posted by  shev

too late you racist bastard

posted by  shev

I wasn't avoiding that. Quite frankly, I don't care. I was just simplifying my posts to not go off topic.

posted by  Nichol Bolas

ontopic os overrated....you racist bastard.

posted by  shev

I do not feel that a teacher should talk about references in the bible if they are teaching math or some other subject.

If it is a theology class and that is the topic then fine.

posted by  theman352001

Ok, it goes like this.......Some people love religion and pour their heart and soul into it. Others, kinda stay on the side lines waiting to step in or walk away, it's frankly the person's choice. If there is an agreement through congress to let religion be taught in school, why not just ALLOW it to be taught, instead of forced religion? Some private school primary push it like a government class or a math course. I personnally think it should be like an Art class, a take it if you feel like it. So should it be allowed? Yes it should....but should it be forced?.......Hell no! :-)

posted by  Hepatitus

like theology classes.... except for youngins

posted by  shev

Your Message