help a noob

Home  \  Off Topic  \  help a noob

yes i am a noob here...and this is my first post....and it may sound stupid but don't flame just help me out, i don't know much about cars i know how mostly everything works but when it comes to doing it and stuff that's where im lost...but anyways i have a 95 firebird with a v6 304 engine in it and I'm wondering what i should do to it first...like as in what would be the best to "upgrade" and such like exhaust, air filter or what...thanks to anyone who can help...thanks

posted by  zoomo

v6 304?

posted by  RichG

The first upgrade will cost you about $15. Go get yourself a repair manual, read it, and spend some time learning about your car. In the long run this is far better than mindlessly throwing parts at it and hoping they'll make it faster.

posted by  vwhobo

i would check out "ls1.com"
even though you have a v6, you can still use the SLP air box with a k&n filter.
is it auto or manual? :thumbs:

posted by  (o) (o)

yeah whats a V6 304?

posted by  SuperJew

I hope it's a fat fingered 3.4 (look at your keyboard). If not that's all the more reason to start with a manual.

posted by  vwhobo

lmao, ya that made me look real stupid, but Yes it's a 3.4 liter don't ask me how i ended up having 304...and I'm not wanting to mindlessly put parts in it, i know what i want to do to it and how to do it i just don't know my parts and brands on what to do, like i said the main things i want to do is put a new air filter and exhaust system but i wasn't sure if that would be best to put in first, or maybe something else would be better

EDIT** it's automatic

posted by  zoomo

Must be a pretty fat finger!!

posted by  BavarianWheels

Oh, okay, since you put it that way... Unfortunately what you said in the above post and in your first post pretty much contradict each other.

You also failed to mention what your budget is or what your expected final outcome for the car is. But I'm thinking that someone who goes from "but when it comes to doing it and stuff that's where im lost" to "i know what i want to do to it and how to do it" in 24 hours, if you give yourself another day or two you'll be able to figure it out on your own. ;)

posted by  vwhobo

sigh, I ask you not to flame about my post and you do it anyway you stupid ass....I try to be nice and answer nicely and you still flame....you stupid ass....you're annoying me with your stupid comments, i said i didn't know how to do it just to make explaining things easy and so that people would not say something that i didn't understand, I *know* how to do it and i *know* what will help, i just want to know what, . and, If i had needed something within a budget i would of mentioned it, and if i knew what all iw anted to do i would of mentioned it......and don't respond to this again because all you are doing is falming and that is harrassment thank you....................you dumbass...

posted by  zoomo

And you are a name calling (harassment) child who is unable to form a proper question using needed facts and information. One can only explain a subject when they know what the knowledge level of the person they are explaining to is. Based on what you have said in your posts here is an appropriate answer.

Get ya a phat intake and a biotchin exhaust. Get some yellow stickers too. It'll be dope. Got it?

posted by  vwhobo

:D :popcorn:

posted by  (o) (o)

Does that have butter in it?....pass it over.

posted by  BavarianWheels

yeah save me some of that stuff :P

posted by  SuperJew

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
heheh you guys're killing me...

posted by  Unfedfat

The most important thing is brakes, lights and other equiptment to make your car safe, not sound loud! Make sure your brakes are fine, check your lights, belts and stuff lol im treating you like a real n00b.

After this (which youve probebly already done you should)

Turbo kit
Sports Kit (muffler and exhaust)
Extractors

posted by  stringer001

Ya i've already done all the little stuff right after i got the car rotated the tires, new brakes, changed the oil, put new bulbs in the lights, got lock lugnuts for the wheels.. etc new filter and so on :P

posted by  zoomo

usually the 304 or 350 or 405 at the end of an engine means the cubic inhes of ur engine... like the hemi is a 405 i belive and in bike a honda cbr 600 has 600 cc

posted by  theunbelivaBULL

Uh, yeah, thanks for the info. If you took the time to read the posts you would see that we've already established he meant 3.4L V6. Also the fact that GM never made a 304 is a good clue that he simply made a mistake.

Now let's talk about your "405 Hemi". I hope that is also simply a mistake. ;)

posted by  vwhobo

oh and as far as ur car goes... and a first mod. coustom air intake... racing ( open ) headers, mid pipe of at LEAST 2.5- 3 inches (to later accomadate ur super or turbo charger, not to mention the better flow)
no cats and flowmaster mufflers.

Now here are my reasons.... cold air intake will give you a great boost in hp... not only but you will improve fuel econ and preformance. same goes of the exaust system... when air can go in the car better you get more to burn in ur cylinders and performance i better. then you need to get rid of it after you used it... so that is why exaust is good... they say 2.5 is what you want at least for turbos so if that is in ur scope no need to spend more later right???... and there is nothing better then waking up the whole f@ck!ng neighborhood when you roll up late :D

Happy hunting

I have been lookin around for a cold air intake and this one seems like it would work good It's a second stage so it runs down lower in the engine towards the ground, Tell me if You think this would be good to get for it for the price and such

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&ite m=2442514211&sspagename=rvi%3A1%3A1

thanks

posted by  zoomo

1. No. Why, because it's for an LT1 and you have a 3.4. If you read the feedbacks he even got a negative from someone who purchased an LT1 system for his 3.4 and complained because it didn't fit.

2. No. Why, because he claims "increase horsepower at least 15-25hp + reduce gas consumption" for his cheap, made in Taiwan, imitation part. Even K&N doesn't claim that much gain and I assure you the K&N is a better made, better designed product.

3. No. Why, because the cheapest part available is usually the cheapest for a reason. Does he have any performance data (certified dyno sheet) to back his claims? I'm sure it would be nice and shiny and make more noise. If that's your idea of performance then buy it.

Funny that someone who knows what to do and how to do it, and is working with no budget limitations would even consider this product. And before you go off on me again notice I'm only basing this on what you said previously, and that I'm the only one to respond in over 24 hours.

posted by  vwhobo

http://mods.firebirdv6.com/intakeexhaust.html
http://www.firebirdv6.com/
http://ls1.com/forums/index.html

posted by  (o) (o)

Well I just put on a K&N air filter...it made a hell of a lot more difference than what I thought plus it sounds cool being able to actually hear the air intake =D, next I think I'm going to get either catback Borla or flowmasters, cause I don't have the money for the headers also at the moment...I would rather go with Borla, but I don't know if I am going to have the extra money, Does borla like outrate flowmasters by that much?

posted by  zoomo

He could have used the number pad. :)

posted by  Bubba

I dont knwo much about Borla although my roommate has Flowmasters his mustang gt and they sound good and the power increase was noticable. But no mater what you do i would not really trust stuff over ebay... when it comes to car parts if at all possible buy stuff local because you can go SEE the part in person. Use mechanics that you know personally... and air intake is a relatively cheap mod. If it is new you notonly have the warrenty you also know there is less chance of damage.

Your Message