Stupid Question

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Stupid Question

I have a 97 mercury mistique. I was wondering in cold weather when you warm you car up should you step on the gas or should you just let it warm up on its own. I heard you shouldnt put your foot on the gas because the oil in the motor isnt in the cylenders yet or some crap like that.

So is it ok to step on the gas to warm the car up? :screwy:

posted by  Fgreco

not stepping on the gas, because what is the point of warming the engine up if you are trying to work the tranny hard then? I'd say let the car warm up on its own.

posted by  Flame Roller

Wouldn't matter which stance you take, there will always be a contrary opinion on this one. It's a perenial favourite of the masses.

I don't live in a climate that goes below freezing, but I have always subscribed to the idea that idling won't produce great oil pressure or distribution.

posted by  Wally

but right when you start it up your top end is pretty much dry no matter where you live so if you fire up the car and rev the shit outa it, i sure like 2500 rpm on unsufficiently lubricated metal on metal surfaces,NOT!

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

So what your saying is just let the car warm up by itself. I get what your saying BanffAutoSpa_ap but, I would like to know what to do because I would be out there like 20 minutets before the car would warm up it is snowy where I live in NJ. COLD. well you just tell me the best thing to do and Ill do it LOL .

posted by  Fgreco

when we say "warm up" we usually mean about a minute or two. the motor doesn't much care about the temperature of the engine coolant when you first start it up. it takes a couple of seconds for the oil pump to push oil up into the head to lubricate all your goodies.

i usually crank my car for a second and not let it start to get the oil moving in cold weather, then start it. just to give it an extra push of oil up into the top end.

start it up, let it idle for about 1 or 2 minutes, and you should be all good.

posted by  carls47807

Basically yeah just start the damn thing and let her warm up for a minute or two, unless it's -40 in which you may need longer to get the heat goin.but you don't need to rev it :mrgreen:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

ok thanks.

posted by  Fgreco

Your Message