Ideas?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Ideas?

Ok I have been tuning up my car to get the most optimal performance/gas mileage out of it. My car is a 1993 Mercury Topaz 4 Cyclinder 2.3L and has ~77,000 miles on her. So far I have changed the spark plugs put Bosch Plantinum 2 in, changed the wires, changed the air filter, and changed the gas filter. Next week I will be changing the oil and getting a new cap and rotor (God I am dreading that). I have also ran fuel injector cleaner through the system. What else could I possibly do?

On another note I was looking at someone elses webpage that has the same exact car I do http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/507179/1 Look what he has done. That is fricken amazing. Here is mine: http://img181.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img181&image=car9zd.jpg Now I was thinking of doing something along the lines of what he has but not that serious. Yes I know I could just go out and buy a new car for the amount I will be shelling into it but I love to work on cars. Where can I buy the bodykits and so forth for my specific car?

posted by  EvilPodAE

now was it the out of a can fuel injector cleaner? they might work but the best is to get a shop to MOTORVAC the system, it will flush the rails and injectors and will help break up carbon deposits on the piston. i was amazed what that litle machine did for my old and tired f-150 302 fuel injected. took it for a drive on the highway to burn the chmicals out and wow it woke that baby up like i've never seen b4.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Hmm Ill have to look into that. Thanks. How much did it cost ya?

posted by  EvilPodAE

free, but prolly around 50 buckeroos

Yah, we have one of them at our shop, we charge about 40 CAD. It's a waste of money unless your vehicle actually has a problem though, we only use it on the vehicles that have sat for years and ones that have starting troubles.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

well maybe your just not trying to sell complete tune-ups,

A tune-up consists of plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Whatever else needs to be done also, such as a cap/rotor, oil... blah blah blah. Motovac isn't part of a tune-up, anywhere.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Ill be changing the rotor and cap this week as well as the oil. Right now I am on the road to have ~325 Miles to a tank. Whereas before the tuneups I was averaging around 225. Not bad not bad at all. Now will the oil, rotor, and cap push me into the 400 zone :hi: Gas prices are supposed to be going up 30 cents in the next month so I did this all at a good time. :laughing:

posted by  EvilPodAE

for peace of mind i would do the cap and rotor, and if it is a higher milage engine , run a litre of lucas heavy duty oil stabalizer with your next oil change and you'll be amazed how well that stuff works for older tired motors, and BTW my personal proper complete tune-up for an unkept vehicle would be-plugs, wires, cap,rotor,air filter (if needed) fuel filter, PCV valve, Diagnostics scan with mt 2500, and a fuel system flush with motor vac, and compression test while plugs are out cuz if the compression ain't good then the rest is useless.

Your Message