83 f250 6.9 diseal

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  83 f250 6.9 diseal

I am still tring to find out info on why this 6.9 is stalling after running for 15-20 minutes. I have checked the cylinders and replaced the glow plug relay. It runs good when it is started as well as when your driving, but after 15-20 minutes it dies. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?
Hmwolf :banghead:

posted by  hmwolf

use freeze spray on all the electronics,once it dies,and see if it works.you can get it from a MG chemicals distributor.WHAT ABOUT THE EGR VALVE. the only other thing i can think of is the fuel system.

posted by  the lobster

hows the compression when it hot, not an easy thing to test but they had a headbolt problem that caused the heads to warp and loose compression when hot, the bolts bottom out when torqued instead of holidng down the head, gave that motor a real bad rep

posted by  Diesal55

That could be, I have seen a similar problem in another Ford, if the fuse for the glowplug is blowing then it might be a problem with the injecor pump.

posted by  srober32

The glow plug ckt is only used at startup, when the engine is cold. about 10seconds. If it runs much longer you can melt the ends off the glow plugs and damage the engine.
Does it die.....like you turned the key off or does it sputter and die like it runs out of fule(actually revs). Will it restart right away?? does it smoke blue??
Answering these will lead you to the solution. Diesels are a lot simpler than gas. :wink2:

posted by  ronl

See what happens if you run it with the fuel tank cap removed. Does it still die then? I've seen this with several F-series 6.9L diesels -- the problem that I've seen is blocked (or partially blocked) venting in the fuel filler cap. This causes a vacuum condition in the fuel tank as fuel is drawn out, leading to engine stalling from fuel starvation.

Interestingly enough, this was also a common problem on older VW diesel Rabbits and pickups.

posted by  cpprioli

Try Changing the crank sensor i Had a 2000 7.3 Doing the same thing

posted by  Bunksarelli

Your Message