Oil Change Problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Oil Change Problem

Ok here is the deal today I tried to change the oil in my car on the cold snowy ground. After about a half hour of trying to get the drain plug out I gave up. Its like the plug is soldered in their. It willl not budge a hair and its been rounded down to a ball. I used wrenches, and then I tried vice grips but to no avail. Any one have any other suggestions?

I also called a repair shop around here to see how much it would cost for the oil change when I have my own oil and oil filter. I was given the quote of $20. I also mentioned the rounded off drain plug. Now becouse the plug is rounded could they charge me more? Are their hidden fees? Will it also be hourly charge on top of the $20?

posted by  EvilPodAE

Anyone? This is really frustrating me :banghead:

Im gonna turn :screwy:

posted by  EvilPodAE

huh my best guess is to put the vice grips back on and see if you can bust it loose with a hammer of youve got enough room up in there.

posted by  pdt1793db

some oil pans have the drain plug nut welded inside the oil pan others the nut is welded to the outside that the drain plug thread into but i do agree put the vise grip back on really tight and wack away it should break free you will need to replace that drain plug after for sure take it with you so they can match the thread pitch and head size dont forget the seal brass or plastic washer

posted by  osborste

when worse comes to worse you may have to either weld a wrench onto what is left of the plug (after you clean it up good) or pull the oil pan and see what is going on. What kind of car is it, and is it an aluminum oil pan?

posted by  carls47807

I've seen a few people try to unscrew sump plugs clockwise if that helps.

posted by  Wally

Im gonna see if I can buy a socket tommorrow to pull it out. Its some sort of rounded bolt head socket designed to cut into the bolt and take it out that way. Or I may just take it to the repair shop and have them do it for $20. I have the oil and everything. The vice-grips keep slipping off.

posted by  EvilPodAE

make the vice-grips tighter then.. If you make them tight enough they won't slip off. Give the end of the bolt a tap with a hammer too, usually only helps with oxidized bolts but, heh, worth a shot. Where there's a will there's a way.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

If you do bust it off make sure you have gotten another one to replace it lol. Hope you don't strip it either, that could be a big mess, and I'm not talking bout the oil lol

posted by  chud298

the moral to that story - the oil drain plug in most cars only needs tightened to about 20 ft lbs - many folks tend to over do it a little.

If you use the vise grips technique, rock the bolt back and forth - the comment concerning threads was good too - could end up re-tapping the threads or replacing the oil pan

posted by  tbaxleyjr

If I do strip the threads would a rubber plug work in the hole?

posted by  EvilPodAE

yes they do sell rubber plugs for oil pans its a chunk of rubber with a bolt locked into it and you tighten the nut it will expand filling the hole i dont like them oil attacks the rubber makes it swell and soft and the next oil change you will probably have to replace it but you can also get new self tapping drain plugs i've seen them a canadian tire or other parts stores even walmart

posted by  osborste

I'd feel better with the self tapping bolt instead of a rubber plug

posted by  tbaxleyjr

You could always go to a shop where they suck out the oil. Some European cars don't have sump plugs these days and all drainage is done through the dipstick tube....saves the risk of replacing your sump when you round off the plug...

posted by  hammerthief

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Also doubt it's true. Wouldn't work, there'd be way too much oil left over, you'd have to flush it everytime you changed the oil, where-as 99% of people don't bother flushing their system if they have a drain plug (though it is actually a bit better for it).

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I don't know about an obsolete sump plug, but some garages do indeed suck the oil out via the dipstick portal.

posted by  Wally

Well the MCC Smart car hasn't got a sump plug, some of the smaller engine Vauxhall Corsa so how else do you think the oil gets changed? i bet you would drop the sump!! i hate it when people say its a stupid idea but don't do any research. try looking at http://www.brakefluidtester.com/general_tools_02.htm about halfway down is the oil extractor i use....so i do know it works. :banghead:

posted by  hammerthief

If the head of the bolt is rounded off.... easy fix...go to your nearest Sears and pick up a set of "Bolt Out" sockets on sale this week for $28. If you don't want to spend the money call a good Oil Change place and explain what has happened and see if they have a set to take it out (most do). I have people call us in the same fix and we charge $20 for the oil change, using your oil and $2.89 for a new plug. :2cents:

posted by  OilPro

"Good oil change place" is an oxymoron of the highest order. One of my shops has an oil change chain store almost next door to it. They see at least two or three people a DAY that got boned at the quickie place. No oil pressure, massive leaks, "we can't get out the drain plug", etc.

Let's face it, you don't get the highest quality service or the most knowledgable individuals for close to minimum wage. Good oil change place. Give me a break. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

you also might want to try (as a last resort) a pair of channel locks, medium to small pipe wrench, or any other tool that tightens it's jaws the harder you push...

posted by  dodger65

:laughing: What do people expect from a 10 min oil change place - the best :hi: paid folks (minumum wage), highly qualified folks (meaning no experience or training), and the highest quality parts (i.e. the cheapest quality filters @ lowest bulk cost to the franchise)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

by the time you play around with an obviously overtightened bolt,you could do the right thing and take off the pan.if you have to use a bolt remover,or any other methods such as heat,you will end up pulling off the pan anyway.besides it will be comforting to know that your pan gasket is new.if you enjoy working in confined spaces,keep banging away with hammers and vice grips.you would be better off getting a good used pan,and a new bolt.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message