compression question

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  compression question

I have a 1987 honda accord and I would like to know what'a good compression ratio for it. I just replaced the head before when i checked it it read 0 lbs and now with new head it's reading 90 lbs but still not cranking. please advise

posted by  terry47

You don't just test one cyl, check them all and that will tell you what your compression should be at.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

90lbs isn't going to cut it in most engines. Being a Honda is should probably be double that.

posted by  Wally

90 LBS? 90 pounds of shit. What the hell is 90 pounds? :banghead:

I'm going to do the work for you and assume you mean 90PSI. Even still, you asked about compression ratio. I think you're a little confused or just don't know jack shit about car engines. :ohcrap: Which is it?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Compression ratio is the difference between the height when the piston is at the northmost position and at the south most position. For example, if a piston has 1 inch clearance at the top, and 8 inches clearance at the bottom, the ratio is 8:1.

You need to clarify your question if you want some answers to your problem.

posted by  Godlaus

wrrrrrrrrrrrong.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Eh.......... I was close;

posted by  Godlaus

Even that isn't right. It's not really wrong. Here, read this. It's good. :thumbs:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/54258/

posted by  DodgeRida67

I knew as soon as I saw DSmer post that in an earlier thread to prove how supposedly wrong I was, it would be taken onboard by a few. Who actually started that idea, because he/she needs his/her arse kicked?

posted by  Wally

There is a tendancy to shorthand PSI to pounds when the subject is obvious. If you really want to be correct you should append the reading with PSIG, because it is a gauge reading, not absolute.

posted by  Wally

Your Message