How do I find horse power??

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  How do I find horse power??

Let say I buy a car which is tweaked a little .. Is there any way to measure horse power???

posted by  mumin

I know that they have like a ummm... machine and they run the car on a machine and the computer tells the horse power but, I dont know where to do it. I saw it on tv.

posted by  Fgreco

It's called dyno testing. You can get it done at a tuning garage. We have a place here in CT called XTuning. They do stuff like that. Dyno testing gives you power arcs and they messure horse power from that. I'm sure there are more people knowledgeable about this, if you know more please post it, I'd like to read it too

posted by  chud298

To determine horsepower, you need to be able to determine torque, which is one of the things that's incredibly hard to do on yor own. So, take it to a dyno (which can be costly) and get it tested, and you'll get a full printout of your power curve.

Iw ouldn't suggest wasting money on a dyno test if the only mods are things like, and intake and exhaust, but if you're really curious, it's your money, and you can do whatever you want with it.

posted by  Godlaus

Vehicle dynamometers are not accurate enough to calculate engine power. They are a diagnostic and performance tool and very useful for tuning and comparing indexed power.

Consider a dyno that is measuring tractive effort and the amount of innacurate constants that need to factored to arrive at a torque/horsepower figure, then the inclusion of arbitrary transmisson losses

The closest true engine power reading will be via an engine dyno.

posted by  Wally

you can also buy a G-tech which measures HP, TQ, 1/4 times, ect.
Its only $200 and can be used unlimited amount of times. Its accurate +/- 1% on the HP and TQ. I havent personally tried it but a friend of mine has it and he compared it to a prof. dyno and it was exactly the same.

posted by  Import-tuner

Your Message