Little more power

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Little more power

Hi I just turned 16 and got a 97 toyota corolla. Once i saw it i wanted it because i liked the sound and it had cool rims and tinted windows and me bein 16...yeah. It seems like a fine car but the acceleration isn't nothing. Its a 4-cylinder and i know thats why but is there anything I can do to give it more power and overall speed? Also the muffler i have is huge and sounds good but drags with 2 people in the back. The muffler is dragging and the huge circular tube thing has a dent sorry not good with cars. If you have any suggestions please tell thanks a whole lot.

posted by  kahduman

get your suspension system sorted first and you may be happy with the increased performance.

posted by  Wally

sorry to be a pain but what exactly is the suspension system? thanks

posted by  kahduman

haha, go get a haynes repair manual on your car to find out about the parts on your car. Or get some other basic automotive books, ight, late

posted by  Import-tuner

haha, why the **** you think i came to this forum you stupid asshole. I came here to learn a little about people who have had the experience and so i can understand it better than a manual. So if your not gonna give me any help and just mess around with people leave me the **** alone. Really u know this is a forum.

So... Anyone know a good product that increases torque.

posted by  kahduman

whooa, calm down.

My first suggestion would be to get your exhaust system fixed and get it hung back up :thumbs:

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Your suspension includes things like struts, springs, sway bars, shock absorbers (dampeners) strut braces, etc. It is important to get these setup correctly for good handling and performance.

You must have see those big cars that nearly sit their tail on the ground when taking off? Well that's a classic example of poor suspension when talking performance. That power would have been better used at the wheels.

This site should give you a better understanding http://www.whiteline.com.au/

If you want to increase overall engine power/torque you have to figure a way to get more fuel and air into it.

posted by  Wally

Ok well the big circular tube thats connected to the muffler tip is scraping as well as the muffler tip on the bottom. Is there any way I can keep my regular suspension by raising it and what would could best be used to do that? Thanks a bunch for explaining. I don't mean to be annoying its just my parents aren't really interested in my life and its not easy when you don' know anything.

posted by  kahduman

No, there is no way to raise your suspension without replacing it, sadly, 'tis the only way.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

So what you are saying is im going to need a smaller muffler all the way connecting to the manifold. Or i will need to purchase a product to raise my muffler from scraping.

posted by  kahduman

No no, I mis-read what you said before, I thought the muffler was just dragging, I missed where you said "with two people in the back". Without two people in the back is the muffler close to the ground? Would you say the muffler is hanging too low, or the entire back end of the car is low?

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

When ther is 2 people in the back when i turn or hit fairly good size bumps is when the muffler scrapes its not a constant scrape. Im guessing its the muffler because the back end looks find to me.

posted by  kahduman

That's probably just a hanger then. A hanger is just a rubber ring with a piece of metal attached to the exhaust system going through it, rubber because otherwise it would rattle like a biznitch, and due to the constant heating/cooling, it's good to give it some space to expand and contract. If that's all it is, it's a cheap fix, probably about 20 bucks at a mechanics shop.

Your car is too new for big suspension problems anyway, usually that starts to happen at a later stage in the vehicles life.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I appreciate your help tons. I have another question and if you dont have time answer it another time. Im hearing a lot about swaping. Does that have anything to do with building an engine up for example my 4cyl? I got friends that are gettin cars and leavin me behind. I need to do something about that also. Thanks.

posted by  kahduman

Swapping engines doesn't have to do with building an engine, most swaps people don't build, but you can if you wanted to. Swapping motors in newer cars is too hard to do, so I wouldn't suggest it

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

i have a 97 corolla.actually i have a geo prizm.mine has no power steering.
these cars are very low to the ground but handle amazing for a 4 door car.
look in the glovebox and make sure you have p185 65 r 14 tires.the exhaust on this car has three dstiinct components.,a catalytict converter,a resonator and 6 foot pipe.,and the muffler itself.if you look what is dragging is actually the pipe that goes to the muffler.mine does the same thing .they have an elbow bend and so does the camry.they did this so that the condensation collects in it ,not the muffler. it is a really stupid design because the lowest point of the pipe is 4 inches off the ground .if you put 2 people in the back
the pipe will hit speed bumps and all kinds of stuff.cut out that piece of pipe and put in a straight piece. if you follow any toyota on the road,you will see this pipe hanging down.the 2001 and newer corollas got away from this .
make sure you put a heat shield on a straight pipe,because you could catch the underbody coating on fire. here is how to make your car fast.the car has 110 horsepower.since mine has no power steering,and i put in a garret 501
turbocharger ,it has 180 hp and does 0-60 in less than 5 seconds. there were a few challenges,one the cv joints had to be bigger,the tranny had to
be modified,and i put in 2 crossbars.i have 55 series tires on mine.,its a real sleeper man do i surprize some goofs out there.i do not street race .had to many problems with my 66 350 rocket f85 olds to play like that anymore.
but i get on the highway,let someone go by and poof i amm there.i have driven a 230 hp srt4 dodge and my car is just as fast,because the empty weight is 1006 kg.the srt4 is 3000 lbs.you have to learn to drive better first or you will kill yourself.i had a 450 horsepower trans am when i was younger
and i am amazed i am not dead. your car is plenty fast the way it is ,if you want a little more power,change the exhaust,k=n filter,put a turbo with 7 lbs boost.when you are a better driver,increase the boost on the turbo.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message