Car Cranks but Wont Start

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car Cranks but Wont Start

The car in question is a 1990 Oldsmobile Toronado with a 2.8L V-6 engine. I am not sure about the transmission specs. I recently ran through about 5-6 inches of water. the engine did not stall, I paniced and turned it off because I thought the water was pretty high. Anyway, pushed the car out of the water and turned it over. The car makes a normal cranking noise, no High pitch noises of clanks, which would indicate a bent rod. I turned the car over but never pulled the plugs to make sure there was no water was in it but it does turn freely. Not until recently did I take the air filter out and notice it was wet, so my project for tomorrow is to pull the plugs (should have done that before I turned it over). Abviously, If there was water in the engine, there was not enough to hydrolock it and bend a rod. On the other hand something is fried and not letting the car start. I replaced the camshaft sensor but I am thinking that it is the crankshaft sensor. I pulled the #1 sparkplug to check for spark and it was there. The plug had gas on it, and the fuel pump is pumping(40 psi). Checked the oil and it was not noticable thin but I will change it anyway. I guess my main question is what could possilby be causing the timing to be so off that the car will not start. I know electronic parts and water do not mix, but could it be the crankshaft sensor causing this?
I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

posted by  badcarluck

Bet you it's your coil pack. Check for spark.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I am not quite sure that it is. The coil base itself was replaced just a few days ago and when that was the problem the spark plugs were not getting any fire. Now the spark plugs are getting fire, which I think indicates that it is not the coil pack. please let me know if my logic is not so logic. there is fire, gas, but no start just a normal cranking noise. let me know if it is possible for a car to get fire to the spark plug if the coil pack is out.

posted by  badcarluck

delete

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

So it is firing? It could be say one coil, which means two cyls aren't firing so it won't completely turn over. Check all 3 coils for spark. When coils get wet they don't work, grounds itself.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Ill check again, coil was completely dry when I popped the hood. only the bottom of the engine realy got wet. still sounds like a possibiliy, but it seems as if the car would atleast fire spudder or something because I know for a fact that the #1 spark plug is getting fire. I still think it has something to do with the timing but I am open to any suggestions. I will test it out in the morning. thanks.

posted by  badcarluck

Nope no luck. I took the sparkplugs out and checked all of the coils. all three of the coil packs are working. any suggestions as to where to go next?
thanks

posted by  badcarluck

if the plugs are wet with fuel ,it wont fire .i had a problem with a 93 nissan,the spark was there,but the gap was wrong on the plugs and it would not start.mark the distributor,retard the timing ,dry the plugs and the distributor ,and try it .we did that on the nissan and it started . ed

posted by  the lobster

Your Message