SMOG test preparation

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  SMOG test preparation

H,
I am about to sell my Nissan 1994 Altima (Auto). It has 73K miles on it.

I wanted to know if I need to do any preparation for the Smog test...to pass it.

The Car gives about 28-30 Highway miles / gallon (if that helps.)

Amit

posted by  amitverma0101

You should consider doing a full tune-up since you are selling it, it's around the mileage for a tune-up, and to help pass.

posted by  DodgeRida67

tune up the car and make sure it has no vacume leaks (vacume leaks increase excess air and helps creates NOx), the charcoal filter in the evap. canister and the fuel cap is in good condition (pass HC) and make sure the base ignition timing and idle speed are within spec. Changing PCV valve on an altima is a P.I.T.A. (pain in the a$$)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

as a seller in your state or whever you live, do you need to smog test b4 u sell it? that blows if it's true

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

I dont know what state amitverma0101 lives in. I do know in some states with state wide emmissions testing, you have to certify the car passes emmissions before selling a car.

In Tennessee, smog testing applies for the counties surrounding Metro Memphis-Shelby County, Metro Nashville - Davidson County (including surrounding areas) and starting next month, Chattanooga - Hamilton County. I don't think the State of Tennessee has any requirements beyond the EPA's concerning emmission systems for sellers. However, the car has to pass emmissions before the car can be titled and tagged if you live in the areas mentioned above.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

phoooey, gotta love Alberta as is where is and if you bought a heap thinking it was a good runner, you can't go back and get your money from the seller or sue him , as is where is!

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

That is good advice - let the buyer beware

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message