95 Chrysler Cirrus

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  95 Chrysler Cirrus

Hi All, Hope Someone Can Help. I Changed The Fuel Pump In This Cirrus, Worked Fine For 2 Weeks. Started Doing The Same Thing As Before, Not Getting Gas. I Change The Pump Again Thiking It Was A Bad Pump. Still Nothing. I Have Checked And Replaced Relays, Checked And Have Power To The Pump, But It Will Not Come On. I Run Power Directly From The Battery To The Pump, And It Will Come On.
Thiking That I Now Need To See If I Get Any Codes, I Rented A Dianogic Tool And It Showed No Codes Even Though The Egr Is Disconnected, Which I'm Told Should Show A Code. I Am Now Wondering If The Pcm Could Be Bad. I Have Tried To Find A Used One, But The Pin #'s Do Not Match, Even Though It Is Out Of A 2.5 V6, Which Is The Motor In My Car. Can Anyone Help?? Sorry This Is So Long, But Am Trying To Give As Much Info As I Can. Thanks To All!!!

posted by  DONHUD

whats the mileage have you checked the fuel filter look for pinched line and check fuel pressure if all is ok in spec range(over 40psi for pressure) other problems as for the egr i just changed mine on a 99 caravan its doesn't come in to operation till the engine is aa operating temp and being driven otherwise it would stall the motor at idle it recirculates the exhaust gas through the engine to help reduce emissions

posted by  osborste

THANKS FOR THE INFO.HAVE NEW FUEL FILTER, LINES APPEAR TO BE OK. AGAIN, IT IS NOT THAT THE CAR IS NOT JUST GETTING FUEL,IT'S THAT THE PUMP WILL NOT COME ON UNLESS I GIVE IT POWER DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY. I MENTIONED THE EGR JUST TO SHOW THAT THE CAR IS GIVING NO CODES, BUT SHOULD BECAUSE THE EGR IS NOT HOOKED UP. CAN THE PMC DO THIS? AND DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE PIN #'S ON THE PMC MUST MATCH EXACT, OR WILL ONE WORK OUT OF ANY 2.5 LITER CHRYLER ENGINES?

posted by  DONHUD

check fuel pump relay and also your car might have an auto shut down relay (asd relay) does the starter work are you getting spark at the plugs do the fuel injecters work if none of the work then the auto shut down relay is bad if if some items are working the need to check the power control module(pcm)also do a bulb test turn the key to run check to see if the service engine lights up the to start if the light fails could be the pcm this happened to my caravan was a couple of days working on it till i noticed the light was not coming on during the start cycle part of the pcm (computer) had failed

posted by  osborste

THANKS AGAIN GUY. YOUR HELP GREATLY APPRICIATED. I HAVE CHANGED THE RELAYS, AND THE AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY. I AM THINKING PCM, BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE #'S ON THE PCM HAVE TO MATCH EXACT, OR IF ANY FROM A 2.5 CHRYSLR MOTER WILL WRK. THIS IS MY DUGHTERS CAR, AND SHE WANTS TO SELL IT. DON'T WANT TO PUT GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD. ALFREAZDY HAVE $500 IN THE CAR THATS WORTH MAYBE $700-$880. THAT'S WHY I WOULD LIKE TO GET A USED PCM IF POSSIBLE.

posted by  DONHUD

Have you verified the power supply to the fuel pump relay is good (no blown fuses, etc.)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

i know my caravan the pcm had to match the #'s exact for the options like anti-theft and transmission that what the dealer told me try www.car-part.com you can search usa and canada for a used pcm and match the #'s also find out the price the wreakers are asking for the part good luck i'll check up later

posted by  osborste

thanks very much. I will check out that site. yes I do have good power to the pump.

posted by  DONHUD

did you find anything new

posted by  osborste

NOT YET, STILL TRYING, WILL ADVISE IF AND WHEN I GET SOMETHING FIGURED OUT.

posted by  DONHUD

if you get a chilton book and check the schematic,trace back from the key itself.if you put on the key do you hear the fuel pump initially energize?if there is no rpm detected by the computer,some of those mitsubishi will kill the fuel system .if the battery goes low and the anti theft activates ,the fuel system does not work.some cars also look for a "start rpm" from the crank sensor.if the ignition does not energize the fuel pump does not come on.check the schematic for the run v.on the pump.wire that voltage to the pump.will the car run? i am thinking it is ignition.i know you replaced the pump,but maybe coincidence too.i had a 3.0 l. ford that did that same kind of thing and it was a TFI module on the throttle body.the 2.5 v6 engine that you have (163hp) was also used in the 1995 to 99 dodge avenger,the 95 to 2000 sebring ,the 2001 and 02 was a 3.0 l 200 hp and a 95 to 2000 sebring covertible had the 2.5 mitsubishi v6.the pcm in those other cars should work,check by cross referencing the part # they are all the same engine and 4 speed automatic transmission,from what i understand ,the anti theft is done in the bcm module ,the ignition has a separate pcm.some chrysler models like the jeep grand cherokee ltd (1999 to 2004)have up to 11 power control modules in one vehicle. good luck with it .

posted by  the lobster

Thanks for the info, I replaced the pcm, but still have same promblem, the fuel pump does not come on. I will check what tou suggest and let you know.

posted by  DONHUD

got this out of friend's manual hope it help checking

posted by  osborste

I used to have a saab 900 turbo that did the same thing,and it had a weird one that i eventually figured out.they have a LAMBDA control module that controls the fuel pump.the fuel pump would not initialize,and i checked and found that the ground screw that bolts it to the car body was loose.what i would try is wiring power to the fuel pump and see if the car runs.if not then you have to trace the circuit back to the anti theft circuit and the ignition circuit.good luck.

posted by  the lobster

remove the pcm and try activating the fuel pump from the pcm plug pin #74 is the ground trigger for the pcm to activate the fuel pump relay if this works the problem is pcm not getting power or signal the engine wants to start for powerat the pcm plug check pin #40 should have power without key on pin 67 will have power with key on this is the auto shutdown relay needs to be grounded here to feed power to the ignition coil and injecters and feed power to pin #6. and with key on start/run power at pin 20 also pins 10/50 are grounds for ecm boy its been awhile since i've had study schematics hope you get it with this if not we'll try again

posted by  osborste

check last post had forgotten the ground pins

posted by  osborste

these circuits are quite complex unless you have the schematic in front of you.its like its all tied together.that SAAB i had drove people crazy.

posted by  the lobster

had a chance to check those wire's

posted by  osborste

Not yet, hoping maybe tonight, I will get you all advised. I really thank you all for the insights.

posted by  DONHUD

I need a Power control module according to the dealership. Is that part the Distributor? They want to charge me 700 dollars. It is ridicuolous.

Help with the question please!!

posted by  lucho707

your pcm is the engine's computer
there is no distributor just ignition module/coils/plug wires and spark plugs
have you called some parts stores to get a price
or scrap yard in your area www.car-part.com you might find a used one will work just as well just have to match the model numbers
the pcm went in my 99 caravan the dealer in canada wanted 700.00 as well
got one at the wreckers for 200.00 and that was 2yrs ago

posted by  osborste

Your Message