'84 Toyota Cressida Won't Crank-Help!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  '84 Toyota Cressida Won't Crank-Help!

It all began when my car would make this weird gravelly noise whenever i turned the ignition key. It would make this noise for a bit and then peter out until there was nothing. After a few times doing this, the engine would suddenly jump to life.

I didn't worry much because i thought it was because of the cold weather. But one day, about 2 weeks later, my car stopped cranking when i turned the ignition. All i hear now when i turn the key is a click and then a faint humming/buzzing noise.

I've checked the fuses and the battery, and everything is okay. This leads me to believe something is wrong with the starter. I bought a new starter and plan to replace the whole thing.

Is replacing the starter a doable project for someone who has no experience working with cars? I have the Chilton manual, and it seems easy. Could anyone suggest another possible reason for the problem?

Also, i'm parked on a hill with the rear end facing downwards. How can i get under the car to get to the starter? Is it safe the jack the front up? If so, where should i place the jack?

If you need any further clarification, i'll answer as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for your time.

posted by  metrorider

YOU HAVE TO GET THE CAR ON A FLATSURFACE..IT IS DANGEROUS OTHERWISE.THE STARTER IS NOT THAT HARD TO REPLACE .MAKE SURE THE CONNECTION ON THE STARTER CABLE IS DONE UP FIRST.THEN INSTALL THE STARTER AND SLIDE THE RED PROTECTIVE BOOT DOWN TO COVER IT.BE REALLY CAREFUL TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY,AND CHECK FOR A SHORT FROM THE PLUS TERMINAL TO GROUND WITH THE BATTERY OUT,TO AVOID A POSSIBILITY OF A SHORT CIRCUIT.A MAJOR FIRE CAN RESULT.BE ALSO CAREFUL OF THE ALTERNATOR WIRING.TOYOTA STARTERS ARE KNOWN FOR BAD CONTACTS.THEY CLICK AND THEN THE FREQUENCY INCREASES UP TO THE POINT WHERE THEY CLICK 5 OR 6 TIMES.BEFORE IT ENGAGES...HAVE FUN

posted by  the lobster

Your Message